Any experience with Powerfin Props?

4 posts in this topic

Posted

My Avid C STOL has a 582 with 3:1 C-box.  I have been looking into swapping out the 3-bladed IVO for a PowerFin prop, to reduce rotational inertia for smoother idle, less forward mass for a small CG improvement, and improved prop section shapes and blade twist, hopefully resulting in  improved cruise efficiency.  I am not impressed with the IVO's sharp leading edge and weird twist distribution, and feel that it might be leaving a more-than-insignificant amount of performance on the table.  Does anybody out there have experience with PowerFin Props?  With the biggest "F" blade, can I get away with a 2-bladed prop instead of 3?  There's more to life than static thrust.

Posted

I think the largest powerfin is 74" diameter.  I would think that a 2 blade 74" on a 3-1 gearbox would work fine.  JImChuk

Posted

I flew a Powerfin Model F, 3 blade, 68 inch, ground adjustable prop on a Avid extended span Mark IV Speedwing with a 582 3:1 C box.  Very smooth, got off the ground quickly, cruised between 85 and 90 mph when pitched at 12.5 degrees, easily adjustable.  Flew it for 200 hours till the engine decided to break a connecting rod in flight.  The replacement 4 stroke engine is not compatible with this prop and I'm offering it for sale - complete with hub, no scratches or dings.  Contact me if interested

Gene Letourneau,  N227TG

Posted

Very pleased with Powerfin props here.