Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

582 performance

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Curious if anybody has tried to take off with their 582 turning 5500 RPM's. Or exactly what RPM's is the least one can get airborne with using a 582?

Posted

Are you talking max RPM or throttled back to that RPM.  Lugging a 2 stroke is not good for them if you like them to last and be reliable.

1 person likes this

Posted

Very well aware of the effects of lugging a 2 stroke. Forget I even asked.

Posted

Allen, I think you can get off the ground at 5500 rpm (with a 582 set up for 6500  rpm max). You can easily maintain level flight at 5500 rpm or less, so I bet if you hold the aircraft on the ground in a level attitude, tail up, and wait to about 50 mph at 5500 rpm you can unstick and slowly climb.

Posted

Allen, I think you can get off the ground at 5500 rpm (with a 582 set up for 6500  rpm max). You can easily maintain level flight at 5500 rpm or less, so I bet if you hold the aircraft on the ground in a level attitude, tail up, and wait to about 50 mph at 5500 rpm you can unstick and slowly climb.

The reason I had asked was this Hirth turns 5500 max with the prop set around 14 degrees or a tad more.( this one is a little on the tuned side) and a 582 and this 3202 run about equal HP and torque at 5500 rpm. So all else being equal, this would give me an idea of what to expect for take-off performance or at least a baseline. The 3202 holds the same HP and torque down to about 4250-4500 RPM. One advantage is I should be 50 lbs lighter that a similar fox with a 582. Wasn't intending to lug the engine, this Hirth runs 5500 max RPM with max torque at 5000.  Thanks for the reply.

1 person likes this

Posted

My Avids with 582s would fly at 70-75 mph at about 5100.  At that rate it should get off the ground easy, but of course take a good bit longer as was already stated.  As I've mentioned before, a friend of mine had the same engine as you in his Avid A model.  I flew it once myself.  No speed demon for sure, but it got him  and his 235 lbs off the ground and flying up to about 75 or so top speed.  I think his climb was 600 ft per minute at the best.  That was with a 66" two blade powerfin prop.  JImChuk

Posted

At 5500 your leaving a ton of torque and HP on the table not to mention totally screwing up your tuning. If it’s 6400 rpm you’re worried about time to get away from two strokes. Steve Henry is steaming his way to Oshkosh right now at 7800 rpm behind a turbocharged Yamaha. 

Posted

The trick is to have the prop that suits the lower rpm. Bigger diameter and fatter blades should do the trick. All the prop companies have the calculator to come up with an ideal prop. 

Posted

Prop has already been calculated and is ordered. Warp Drive is behind about 8 weeks in orders.

Posted (edited)

At 5500 your leaving a ton of torque and HP on the table not to mention totally screwing up your tuning. If it’s 6400 rpm you’re worried about time to get away from two strokes. Steve Henry is steaming his way to Oshkosh right now at 7800 rpm behind a turbocharged Yamaha. 

If it was a 582, that would be true. But its not a 582, a 3202 was designed to turn 5500 max and torque is max at 5000. The only reason I compared it to a 582 is that at 5500 they are pretty equal in torque and horsepower.

Edited by Allen Sutphin
2 people like this

Posted

If it was a 582, that would be true. But its not a 582, a 3202 was designed to turn 5500 max and torque is max at 5000. The only reason I compared it to a 582 is that at 5500 they are pretty equal in torque and horsepower.

In your case, the prop is going to be what makes the difference.  On Bob's KF IV with the 670 in it I can fly all day long at 3800 RPM doing 55 MPH.  Will be interested to see how yours performs with that engine.  What is the gear ratio? 

Posted

70" 2 blade WD. 2.59/1 ratio. Daryl at Warp Drive ran the calculations and said that would be the perfect match for the engine/gearbox. The Hirth dealer also said the same thing. The 3203 65 HP is in my opinion, overrated and the 3202 55 HP is a little underrated. Same engine, internals and equipment, just ported a bit different to reach 6300 RPM. And Hirth uses reed valves for timing plus has a electronic timing advance. I am also curious to see how it performs. It could be a lead sled or a little screamer. Time will tell. I know this  engine was in a 500lb challenger and would get two off the ground within 200' easy. But the challenger had a different wing and a 60" 3 blade prop set at approx. 16 deg pitch to keep it from redlining. And burning 2.5 GPH. Couldn't run it much above 4750 RPM because it would reach VNE quick which was also 100mph. The challenger was a 2.62/1 ratio. I could be completely off base and seriously wrong but excited to see what happens. Good or bad, at least I'll know. Bad, then I have an eye on a neat little four stroke that could be viable. This Hirth has a 1200 hr TBO, and a few have made it there and a few have not. Too many variables involved to say anything positive or negative either way.

2 people like this