Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

AVID Fly=In 2011

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I would like to put on an AVID FLy in in Prentiss, MS which is a 3200' paved strip or in Pisgha MS just outside of Jackson, MS which is a 2600 grass strip. I would like for it to be as big as the one in NC in 2004. How many of you would think you would come and when would be a good time? We need a big one like in 2004.

Posted

Can I fly down in my (as Brett McKinney calls) brand "K" machine? It's lineage goes back to Avid...

I'm also trying to get more people to come to the Ultralight area at Airventure. I'd like to start a "Flapperon Society" of planes and enthusiasts at Airventure. Avids and Kitfoxes will be the corner stones, but we would allow Ridge Runners, Sky Raiders and maybe even the Just airplanes (maybe...). All of the Avid type clones would be welcome.

Posted

yes of course and in fact two of my good friends are buying highlanders and having the 914 put in. i d think we could put together a great event.I am a member of a flying club and will put a link to both fly- ins. one will be the fly-in we had at prentiss and one will be the one that was just held at pisgha. my fly-in at prentiss at my hangar http://www.cmlfclub.com/Jalbum_events2010/102310%20Lonnie%20Steverson's%20Prentiss%20Flyin/index.html

pisgha fly-in http://www.cmlfclub.com/Jalbum_events2010/111310%20CMLF%20Fish%20Fry%20Fly-In/index.html

picture of my avid with new tundra tires http://www.cmlfclub.com/news.html

Posted

Looks like you know how to have a good time with the flying buddies!

I belong to a very active EAA chapter, UL 75. In the summer (when we have daylight) we have fly-nights every other Tuesday evening, where we have mini-fly-ins at different member's homes with private strips.

Our monthly meetings are all fly-ins at different places every month. In the winter they turn into ski-ins with all the ski planes.

Airplane people certainly are the best...

Posted

Looks like you know how to have a good time with the flying buddies!

I belong to a very active EAA chapter, UL 75. In the summer (when we have daylight) we have fly-nights every other Tuesday evening, where we have mini-fly-ins at different member's homes with private strips.

Our monthly meetings are all fly-ins at different places every month. In the winter they turn into ski-ins with all the ski planes.

Airplane people certainly are the best...

I am jealous! Our local EAA is not real active. I am also jealous of you guys that are alot closer to the action to be able to fly around and hit these flyins. One of these days, hopefully soon I will load up with a few buddies and make the flight down there and check out how the rest of the US are flying. We are lucky to have a couple flyins a year, and nothing major like you boys have down there.

Bout time for you folks to start planning a hell of an adventure and get a big group to fly up here and see some serious country! Lots of killer fishing, camping and wide open flying adventures to be had around here.

I will keep up on your fly in Lonnie and see if I can break away from work long enough to come down and play with you guys.

:BC:

Posted

Bout time for you folks to start planning a hell of an adventure and get a big group to fly up here and see some serious country! Lots of killer fishing, camping and wide open flying adventures to be had around here.

I know a lot of folks that would love to fly to AK, but the big problem is Canada.

Most of our group are sport pilots, so no flying in Canada, so no trip to AK... :banghead:

Posted

In 2009 I had chance to fly to AK with a group of 9 other commanders. We went up the trench to white horse then fairbanks, bettels, barrow, anchorage, down to ketchkan and then back home. 70 hours in 17 days of flying. It was awesome we flew from bettels all way up to barrow following the river all way and having a blast. Just wish the Commander had tundra tires LOL. That would be one hell of a long trip in an AVID however two of my friends that are getting highlanders are also commander pilots are planning a trip to Idaho next year possibly.

Posted

I know a lot of folks that would love to fly to AK, but the big problem is Canada.

Most of our group are sport pilots, so no flying in Canada, so no trip to AK... banghead.gif

I have been giving it alot of thought and as much as I would love to fly the entire way, I am thinking more along the lines of trailering to the border then flying once I am back in the good ole USA. That would eliminate alot of possible weather issues in Canada and I can be state side in 3 days no matter what.

Posted

I have been giving it alot of thought and as much as I would love to fly the entire way, I am thinking more along the lines of trailering to the border then flying once I am back in the good ole USA. That would eliminate alot of possible weather issues in Canada and I can be state side in 3 days no matter what.

BC.gif

That sounds like a great plan Leni, I would like to join you in that if the timing worked out. I have to work on getting the wings to fold tighter on the Avid+. I hope I can get tehm a lot tighter with som minor mods to the inboard ribs and some fabric work. The bottom line might be to build a new longer set of wings (if Brett can get the materials).

My siblings and I still have our parent's house in Hood River OR; it could make a good base camp and starting point for a southern adventure.

Do you have any plans for local fly-ins this winter? It might be a while for me to get the 40 hour training wheels off but my test area includes Talkeetna and Skwentna so Fish lakes is within.

Posted

That sounds like a great plan Leni, I would like to join you in that if the timing worked out. I have to work on getting the wings to fold tighter on the Avid+. I hope I can get tehm a lot tighter with som minor mods to the inboard ribs and some fabric work. The bottom line might be to build a new longer set of wings (if Brett can get the materials).

My siblings and I still have our parent's house in Hood River OR; it could make a good base camp and starting point for a southern adventure.

Do you have any plans for local fly-ins this winter? It might be a while for me to get the 40 hour training wheels off but my test area includes Talkeetna and Skwentna so Fish lakes is within.

Randy, we will have to start making plans! Trailering to Oregon sounds like a great plan. If we can time it right, we should be able to hook up with Joey and a few others and go have some fun down south talking to towers ( I hate that).

I hope to be able to get some time off after the first of the year. I will call Julie up at the lodge and see if we can get a flyin put together up there. They are eager for some company, and are AWESOME hosts. There are a couple snowmachines we can use to run around the lakes and do some ice fishing, as well as flying around checking out the area. I know that I will be up there for the start of the Iron Dog for sure.

Posted

You know Leni, your stealing me plan.

And I'll surly be up for it or will already be there.

"Motorhome with covered trailer"

Posted

You know Leni, your stealing me plan.

And I'll surly be up for it or will already be there.

"Motorhome with covered trailer"

You were the first guy that came to mind for the road trip Mr.! Are you going to start snow birding it? That would be great if you were there, I could drive down, fly around for a couple weeks. park the plane and truck, fly back up to work, then head down for a couple more weeks of flying and then a leisure drive back up.

Posted

After spending the last few weeks hunting down in SE OR around Burns and the Steens Mts and reading about Joey's trips to ID, it makes me think it would be a pretty fun adventure. Especially to be able to visit and fly with some of the rest of the Avid/KF guys. Hood River is in the north center of OR so it would be on the close end to trailer to. I have heard there is an Alvord Desert fly-in (east side of the Steens); not sure who organizes it or when. We may get ourselves in trouble thinking we can land anywhere we think looks good though. I hate towers too, so would really have to brush up on that foreign language. I flew into Palmer on Sat and that made me nervous just talkingt to Palmer radioblink.gif .

Keep me in mind for the next time you are headed out to the north. I will work on getting my ski cables rigged for the A+. I am already wishing I had it on skis. I flew in to a friend's place at Hilltop (private) and it was sort of packed in the middle but not plowed. My little tundra tires (21's) didn't like it too much when I got a little off the track on TO. I had the tail just comming up when I hit the soft stuff with one wheel and it gave me a little surprise. Need the 26's or skis on for even this amount of snow.

Posted

In 2009 I had chance to fly to AK with a group of 9 other commanders. We went up the trench to white horse then fairbanks, bettels, barrow, anchorage, down to ketchkan and then back home. 70 hours in 17 days of flying. It was awesome we flew from bettels all way up to barrow following the river all way and having a blast. Just wish the Commander had tundra tires LOL. That would be one hell of a long trip in an AVID however two of my friends that are getting highlanders are also commander pilots are planning a trip to Idaho next year possibly.

Lonnie, you get any closer to final dates etc. for the fly in?

For an adventure trip up here I would have spend more time in western AK than northern AK, but not many can say that they have flown thier own plane that far north of the arctic circle.