Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

nose wheel fork

5 posts in this topic

Posted

hello 

does anyone have the tehnical drawing from nose wheel fork   avid flyer speed wings  ?

thanks in advance 

Sebastian from Romania

Posted

Like most kits, no technical drawings were released for the Avid.  The fork was built at the factory and supplied with the kit.  As far as rigging goes that was supplied with the build manual but there are drawing showing a better modified rigging for th nose wheel steering that should be available on this site. It is possible that someone here will be able to provide the dimensions from their fork so that you could build one if that is your intent.  They do come up for sale here occasionally so ask if that is what you want. 

Posted

The stock Avid nose wheel fork is deceptively clever. It has a bend in it which creates trail so actually functions like the RV nose wheel except much less weight. The only downside is that it has no ability to absorb terrain other than tire flex. The little linkage that goes to the pedal on the passenger side is not actually for steering as near as i can tell other than to compensate for p factor on takeoff and possibly to dampen shimmy that can occur if one lands to fast and applies too much weight to the nose wheel too early. However the stock nose wheel will not shimmy if one holds off touching it down until late in the landing. it actually works real well even on rough terrain if flown properly.

I wanted a bigger tire on mt Fat Avid so I adapted a Rans nose wheel fork. It was a fun project. I had to connect steering linkages from the pedals to actively steer it because the rans fork has no built in trail. It has worked great. The advantages are it sports a much larger tire and it has suspension travel to absorb terrain. The only downside is that it is not a tail wheel. :-) 

Posted

Hello

You have some pictures?:)

Posted

If you are asking about pictures of the Rans nose wheel, there are some on my Fat Avid thread that will give you an idea how I adapted the Rans fork.

Chris