Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

tundra tires for Friends Rans S7

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello I have a friend of mine with a rans S7 and he has the 8.00 x 6 tires and wants some bush type tires where can he get them and how much do they cost? Where is the cheapest place to get them? Thanks

Posted

If he wants the best, get the Alaska Bush Wheels 26" experimental tires. They are 2000 for a set, but work awesome.

Is he looking to play around off airport in the grass etc, or hardcore bush flying. If he is just wanting to hit gravel and grass strips etc. he can look for a set of 850's prefferably the older 4 ply so the side walls are no so stiff.

He may be able to look around at places like www.supercub.org and see if anyone has a set of older 24's or something of that nature for sale. Alot of guys are upgrading to the 31" bush wheels and have the older ones for sale at a reasonable price.

:BC:

Posted

Call Mark Ferkin at Highwing llc (208) 891-4041 He sells the Nanco 21X12X8 tires. He runs them on his Rans. I'm running them on my Avid. I bought the set for $100 shipped to my door. Have several hundred landings on them and they are wearing great.

http://www.highwingllc.com/tires.html

Posted

Joey, he only has 6" wheels. He would have to redo his wheels and brakes to 8" for those to work. That's the i$$ue...

Posted

Call Mark Ferkin at Highwing llc (208) 891-4041 He sells the Nanco 21X12X8 tires. He runs them on his Rans. I'm running them on my Avid. I bought the set for $100 shipped to my door. Have several hundred landings on them and they are wearing great.

http://www.highwingllc.com/tires.html

damn, thats pretty high for nanking.. we were buying them for around 50 bucks shipped for a pair.. I think akflyerbob found them for 12 bucks a piece some place. When Kevin quit selling them I bought several sets of the king fox tires for 40 bucks a set.

Posted

Thanks Joey I will send that to him. I just recently put the 21x12x8 on my avid but I bought a combo with the wheels and brakes for my avid but the damn brakes wont stop my plane. It is the black max brake by www.flyfbi.com. Now I have to figure out how to make another brake system work with this wheel. Really pisses me off because they are supposed to be for 1,500lbs but they sure arent working worth a darn.

Posted

Joey what is the weight loading on those tires if you dont mind looking? My tires show only 377 per side.

Posted

Now I have to figure out how to make another brake system work with this wheel. Really pisses me off because they are supposed to be for 1,500lbs but they sure arent working worth a darn.

He a hold of Brett at Airdale. I think he has a set of Kitfox brakes (Matco) in the shop. If not, I need to take mine apart soon to mount up my skis, I can make a drawings of the discs and brackets for you and get you the pn off the calipers.

Posted

Joey, he only has 6" wheels. He would have to redo his wheels and brakes to 8" for those to work. That's the i$$ue...

Redoing the wheels to 8" is a whole lot cheaper than a $2,000 set of bushwheels. I figured he was running 6" wheels. Not sure what wheels Ferkin had on his S-7.

damn, thats pretty high for nanking.. we were buying them for around 50 bucks shipped for a pair.. I think akflyerbob found them for 12 bucks a piece some place. When Kevin quit selling them I bought several sets of the king fox tires for 40 bucks a set.

Leni ever since people started using them on airplanes the price has skyrocketed. They are just some el cheapo sand tires for a quad.

Lonnie I believe they are rated at 500lbs each. I've seen them on CH701's and Rans both of which weight quite a bit more than Avid/Kitfoxes. I have not heard of a failure yet. I've ran mine off airport quite a bit with no issues. I do have one that is slightly out of round though if I taxi between 10-15 mph it get's to hopping. If I run 12 psi in them they round back out but the landings get a bit sketchy. I usually run mine at 10 and have ran them as low as 6psi. At 6 they really soak up the bumps.

Lonnie the stock brake set up sucks. I went through the entire process on how to get a decent in this thread.

Posted

Joey did you weld the disk on the wheel or was it on there when you bought it?

Posted

That is the wheel set up that Kitfox used for years and years. I bought the gear legs complete with wheels, tires, and brakes from a guy who was building and went with Grove and Cleveland stuff. He gave me a smokin deal and even flew them to my hangar in his other airplane. I believe Suber Avid has made his own wheels. The disc is the easy part. The flange set up is a little more complex.

Posted

Matco has 8" rims with full set up for little over 300 have you seen this what do you think? I judr want to make sure the next thing I do I get the results I want. I want it to work like yours does.

Posted

Matco has 8" rims with full set up for little over 300 have you seen this what do you think? I judr want to make sure the next thing I do I get the results I want. I want it to work like yours does.

I have been looking into this swap Harley rotors are about $39 each ad 12 inch rims about $70 the hubs that ATVs use are used to taking a terrible beating and the ATV weighs close to if not over 700 pounds the hubs can be bought used but most ATVs axles are slightly smaller, if they were opened up to clear the .75 inch axle and the rotors were machined to clear internal calipers I think it would work, my lathe won't swing the rotors but I am going to try and get my buddy to do the work . My major problem, I want to fly so I am trying to hold down on the modifications until my plane is in the air.

Posted

It is easy to do. You get the 6" douglas wheels and the kitfox hubs. You just weld 3 lugs inside the rim for the rotor to bolt to. Going with the matcos may be better, but I am not sure if the Matco rims will work with tubeless tires. I will see if I can get AKflyerbob to put up some pics of the rims he had made. I think the rims were around 50 bucks apiece and to have the lugs welded in was around a hundred bucks. By the time you get the hubs, rims and weld in the lugs it would probably be a wash on the price of the matcos.

:BC:

Posted

It is easy to do. You get the 6" douglas wheels and the kitfox hubs. You just weld 3 lugs inside the rim for the rotor to bolt to. Going with the matcos may be better, but I am not sure if the Matco rims will work with tubeless tires. I will see if I can get AKflyerbob to put up some pics of the rims he had made. I think the rims were around 50 bucks apiece and to have the lugs welded in was around a hundred bucks. By the time you get the hubs, rims and weld in the lugs it would probably be a wash on the price of the matcos.

BC.gif

I had talked to Matco and yhey gave me the whole list of parts to build the Kitfox version, I believe the rotors were the 62 k version, ask them they will tell you. For the weight limit I thought I would need to go with 12 inch wheels for the whipsnakes and build to fit. right now they are on hold as I finish my flight lessons and my plane, priorities. I have to have 1.6 hours with an instructor and then get the check ride done by the person who has been my instructor getting close but the other instructors are staying busy with charters.

Posted (edited)

he has the 8.00 x 6 tires and wants some bush type tires

I don't think the actual question was answered - not everyone can or wants to go with Nancos

due to wheel size. I highly recommend the 850x6 Desser LSA tire, it's fairly new true aircraf

tire from Desser and makes an AWESOME looking and performing tall tire for $100each plus tubes.

These are my cruise tires when I don't want the airdrag of my 26" ABW's.

Good luck! ~CRAZEDpilot

Edited by wildirishtime

Posted

The Ultimate S-7 gear

IMG_3844-1.jpg

Robertson Bush Gear

29" Alaskan Bushwheels

This thing is a beast!