Done getting bit in the ASS by toe brakes

36 posts in this topic

Posted

I still stand by my original post that that hand brake is gong to get you in trouble in an unsuspected crosswind. Are the toe brakes the best I have flown...hell no but with some practice I find them easy to operate and they give me plenty of control over this light aircraft when needed. Most people cant keep their feet off of them and I was the same way until I learned how to fly them. It comes with practice. I will say that anyone with a shoe larger than a size 10 would have a much harder time with these small peddles. I have to wear a specific shoe when flying my Avid.

2 people like this

Posted

I had to wear sneakers when flying my challenger. Started up the Fox this weekend and did notice that boots would not cut it. So back to insulated sneakers.

Posted

If you search a little you will find a plethora of info on changing the pedals, mods folks have done etc.  If you don't drop a few bucks on the pedal mods to actually make them work right and easy to stay off of / use, then don't cry when you wad up a bird with known issues.  I can use mine with any shoes and my big over size snow boots.

SKavid sells pedals that work and are quick to install.  Well worth the $ he is asking for them.

3 people like this

Posted

With you are the small shoes. I have some that are for sail boaters. :rolleyes:

Posted

If you search a little you will find a plethora of info on changing the pedals, mods folks have done etc.  If you don't drop a few bucks on the pedal mods to actually make them work right and easy to stay off of / use, then don't cry when you wad up a bird with known issues.  I can use mine with any shoes and my big over size snow boots.

SKavid sells pedals that work and are quick to install.  Well worth the $ he is asking for them.

Does he have a website or thread on here with a picture?

Posted

Does he have a website or thread on here with a picture?

http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/6159-picture-of-your-pedals/#comment-55518

1 person likes this

Posted

My bad. its Saskavid.  Finger are working faster than my brain today I guess.

1 person likes this

Posted

I learned never to fly my Avid with a welt sole boot like the original Danner boots.  I put my MKIV into the bushes one time because I got the welt hooked under the tubing on the left side.  It wouldn't let my left foot up and to make it worse, I had to push more left rudder to get the welt sole out from under the tube.  One time was enough for me to learn that lesson.

1 person likes this

Posted

"Rimless" shoes make a huge difference, as they don't get stuck under the "V" bar in the middle.  I can't imagine how someone with large feet (size 11 and up) can safely operate the Avid with the stock setup.

Posted

I had fits with the brakes on my KF 2 and KF4. I finally fixed the KF4 by doing this...

1) Installed Grove landing gear

2) INstall matco wheels and brakes

3) Install no bigger than 800x6 tires

4) installed 2 slave cylinders on each wheel

5)redrilled the hole where the top of the master cylinder attachs to the rudder pedal top and moved the top of the master cylinder in as close to the pedal as I could...I had to change master cylinder to the skiny narrow one, not the big fat ones with built in reservoir.. THe narrow master cylinders have a hydraulic reservoir on the firewall for fluid.

6)l I used a  laser and bought shims for the main gear leg to axle interface and shimmed the axles for they were parallel and flat to the ground, no toe in , no camber.

7) installed an 8" pneumatic tail wheel and using regular springs, made sure there was no slack in the springs, however no tension on them either...

WIth this setup I could easily land on pavement in 15 20mph cross winds all day long. IT was a pussy cat....

There is one problem. The runner pedals need to be taller for more leverage on the master cylinder, however structure is in the way on model 4 so you are stuck with short toe brake pedals. The most pressure I could get at the brake slave cylinder was 220psi and Matco says you need 400psi.. That is why I added an extra slave cylinder.....I sold the plane but it is still flying in the SPokane area and they guy loves it, easy to fly not bad habits....

I believe the fuselage needs to be 2 feet longer but it was made short originally because of weight plus the original Avid had a nosewheel....

ANyway if you have a stock setup, it is like jumping on a bronc bareback ,good luck.... sooner or later it will eat you....

Posted (edited)

Man! Denney and Wilson must have designed a dangerous machine.  I guess I should be sorry I bought a standard aircraft. Or spend a few thousand making it safe. Nah! believe  I'll carry on.

Edited by Allen Sutphin