Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid/Foxes

7 posts in this topic

Posted

After being on this group for about a year I am curious if anyone has anything good to say about the older Avid/ Foxes?  I've heard everything from bad landing gear setup. poor brakes, weak seat structure, too small tail feathers, lousy tail wheel, etc.  For such a bad aircraft, wonder why they are bought up as soon as the hit the market, and getting harder to find. And a heck of a lot of stock Avid/Foxes out there flying successfully daily and into all kind of unimproved strips. I understand that some love to customize their aircraft for their special use, but are stock aircraft really that bad? We seem to have the bigger and better attitude but that can get expensive real quick. These planes are the last of the common man's (poor) bush plane.

Posted

I think the early Avids and Kitfoxes are just fine.  I've had an A model, a B model Avid, and Kitfox 1.  They are a fun airplane, and the lighter the better.  If you load them up with every bell and whistle, they will not be the plane they were designed to be.  But then whose fault is that?  Sure they have lots of adverse yaw, but that's what feet are for, and keeping the ball centered is all that is required to take care of that.  They can be squirly on the ground, especially on pavement, but having the toe in correct helps that a lot.  I started out flying ultralights, most of my early flying was in a Himax single seat. So the first Avid was a big step up from that.  Probably someone who always flew a 172 would feel differently if they stepped down in size to an Avid or Kitfox.  JImChuk

Posted

My Kitfox Model III is a great airplane. My six foot tall body with size 11 shoes just don't get along with the toe brakes. I have owned a Luscombe 8A and a Cessna 140, both fun airplanes. Learned to fly in an Aeronca Champ. My Kitfox is the most fun I have had in a long time. As long as I keep my feet off the brakes on landing. Have installed a Black max hand brake that seems to be working fine.

Posted

My Avid STOL C climbs really well, in fact I just took it up to 8500 ft and it ran fine, even without leaning.  I agree with C5 that the 582 is a reliable engine if treated right.  In my view, though, the C model lacks adequate legroom, and the minimal seatback incline makes it ultimately uncomfortable to fly for long.  It looks like the Kitfox cockpit is better ergonomically.  And the stock 14 gallon tank is too small to really go anywhere.  I hate to always be worrying about fuel!  Love the viz over that inverted engine, though, and the oily plugs problem seems to go away when the oil injection system is used.  I'd also like more speed; seeing 50kts GS on the gps flying into a little wind is daunting!

2 people like this

Posted

Allen there is nothing "wrong" with the early planes when they are properly maintained, operated and cared for.  A light A model Avid even with a 503 in it, is an awesome performer!

The newer models have more "refinements" that most people seek, but are not required to have an enjoyable little plane that is very affordable.

1 person likes this

Posted

You are preaching to the choir. I know the early Avid/Foxes are excellent little planes at a reasonable price. One reason they are bought up quickly when they hit the market. In today's economy a lot of pilots can't afford the newer Foxes, Highlanders, clorox Cubs, etc. I just find it strange that nobody gives much credit to them and only mention the negative experiences they have with them. It is true that they have some minor drawbacks such as pilot size, luggage room, etc and the fact that the average spam can pilot might not be able to handle one(without training).  But otherwise, a dandy little sandbar hopper that one can fly on lunch money. Of course the way I've seen some eat, you could operate a 747 on their lunch money.

1 person likes this

Posted

I would not knock them at all.  They do exactly what they were designed to do very well; a very economical way to fly and just have fun!  I loved my MKIV, just had to use parts of it to build my Avid+ (wings, mixer and HS), but now have replaced those parts so building a new one that is more like the MKIV and use those parts on it but with a few tweaks just for my own preferences.  Nothing wrong with the originals though.