Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Nose wheel design

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I bought a Kitfox 2 and, being new to this, didn't realize that it didn't have an airworthiness certificate, nor can the builder find the log files.  I am trying to chase these down but I am also working out a backup plan.  If this aircraft is a dead end, I am considering stripping it and using the fuselage to make a scratch built.  I would use the wing spars to make a model 4 wing, modify the tail to the model 4 dimensions, and (blasphemy) turn it into a trike.  So, first question: how strong do I need to make the nose gear (how big of tube do I need).  I am calculating the bending load but I am guessing as to how much force will be applied to the nose wheel.  I will be calculating the weight on the wheel while stationary based on gross weight and full forward CG, but I'm not sure of the dynamic load.  Seems like there are some pretty smart people on this forum so I thought I would ask.

The reason for the nose gear: I am a student pilot, insurance, there is no place around here for "backcountry flying" so I will be flying from airport to airport, and I like seeing where I am going.

Posted

Was it ever registered? Does it have an N number? And you are talking to the actual original builder? Just curious. Often times there are creative ways to get out of completely disassembling and rebuilding an aircraft and reassembling as a "parts" plane in order to get it registered. Do you know anyone who has a KF2 that has been wrecked and is beyond reasonable repair that has a valid registration and airworthiness cert that you can buy real cheap? it is possible to make 1 good plane out of two that way. Generally where there is a will there is a way. 

Posted

Chris,  it has an N number. I bought it from the original builder.  Great guy. Older. He has been looking for the builders log and anything else.  I have the builders manual but that's about it.  I ordered the CD of the N number records and I'll see if there is anything there that proves it meets the 51% rule.  My CFI is willing to fly off the phase one if necessary but the 51% is the part that is getting me at the moment.  I thought about buying a serial number but haven't found a wrecked KF2.

The up side of rebuilding it is that I get the model 4 wing, differential ailerons, a tail that has positive yaw, wing tanks, and an airplane that wants to go straight on the landing roll.  Oh yeah, a repairman's certificate.  The down side is that I am maybe a day's work from having this airplane completely airworthy.

Posted

You are not in as bad a shape as you think. Mine, when I bought it was about the same way. No logs, AW cert, or paperwork. I ordered the paperwork from the FAA for $10 and it was issued an AW cert, and N number. Talked to local FAA inspector, and all that's needed is a new inspection and he will issue a new cert and operating limitations and put it in phase 1 for 40 hrs. Its back to a legal aircraft, then. Start new logbooks from when you got it. Talk to your local FSDO inspector, first thing. I completely reconditioned mine from the frame up so new logbooks were started anyhow. Forget the repairman's cert unless you take the 16 hr course for that airplane only. You are not lost, just a little paperwork and time.

Posted

I don't think the FAA has any problem with Kitfoxes meeting the 51% rule.  I wouldn't worry about that.  And anyway, that should have been addressed and passed when the aircraft was first issued an airworthiness certificate.  JImChuk

Posted

100% agree with Allen and Jim. You KNOW the builder. That's the biggest part of the puzzle. There should be a way out. I have always found our local FSDO guys to be the greatest. If you and the builder can get together and go to your local FSDO, I am sure the both of you talking to them will be able to come up with a very doable plan that will get you right where you want to be. I would try to get it registered in your name first then rebuild if you want to later. That way you can fly now. The only issues I see and it depends how important it is to you, is who carries the repairman cert.

It may be possible (but less likely) that you can come away with the repairman cert depending on the story you put together before you and the builder go into the FSDO to talk. It would be a perfect world if you can accomplish that. A more likely scenario is that the original builder already has or would have to carry the repairman cert, and as you know, that is not transferable to you. I have owned two Avids without the repairman cert and that has not prevented me from doing anything I wanted to the planes. They just required an inspection from an AP or IA annually. It never cost me much, and it is NEVER a bad thing to have a second set of eyes look at your work once in a while!

Posted

The repairman certificate is of low importance.  I'm a fairly capable mechanic/machinist but I am also very safety oriented so I want that second set of eyes and the AP I have lined up sounds to be capable.   The builder stated that he had the initial airworthiness inspection done but the N number search shows that the certificate was never issued.  My DAR is saying that without the builders log, there is no way to know that it was amateur built. I am considering ditching my DAR and going with someone who has more experience with experimentals but first I am waiting for the CD to arrive,

Now, anyone want to weigh in on how big the nose gear main tube should be?  It's much easier to get flying lessons in a nose gear airplane around here.

Any thank you for all who responded.

Posted

The DAR is WAY down the food chain. Talk to the FSDO guys. They can make things happen and generally want to get planes in the air. My experience has been nothing but great working with them first. The DAR only inspects the end result of whatever scheme you get worked out with the FSDO.

Posted

All early Avids have a nosewheel weldment built into the fuselage. I am not familiar with Kitfoxes. Do they have a nosewheel weldment too or do they have a nosewheel attachment structure tied into the motor mount and fuselage? if the main tube just slides into the weldment, I can measure from an original Avid nosewheel assembly. I think the original Avid nosewheel used .062 wall 4130 with a doubler added later because a few folks bent up the original without the doubler.

Posted

I have a Avid 'C' model that doesn't have the nosewheel weldment, it became an option at one point in the evolution.  I have a new front section with the nosewheel weldment to splice in if I ever get a round tuit.

Mark

Posted

The Kitfox does not have a nosewheel weldment so I will have to fabricate that.  What was the diameter of the Avid nosewheel tube?

Posted

Chris mentioned something about "what ever story you and the builder come up with before you visit the FSDO"  Maybe I'm taking what he said wrong, but I would stick to the truth.  It's far easier to remember, and if it sounds like you are making it up as you go along, the FAA guy is probably smart enough to catch that.  And at that point he is probably not going to be near as helpful.  As you mentioned, most likely you can forget the repairman's cert.  AnPs are around that will do the conditional for a reasonable amount.  If you give the N number, I can do some checking in some sites I know about to see what I can turn up for you.  PM it if you don't want it out in the open.  And don't worry, I'm  definatly not looking for another plane at the moment.  JImChuk

Posted

Come on, Jim, you need two or three more!

Posted

:lmao::lmao::lmao:At the rate I'm going lately, I'll have to work till I'm 100 to finish the ones I have now.  JImChuk