Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fuel Leak

5 posts in this topic

Posted

My brother-in-law has a Bing 54 carb that is leaking at the fuel line connection.We found a small crack at the base of fitting.Is there a fix for this,it looks like the fitting is pressed into carb body and not threaded. Not sure if there is some epoxy to cure the problem or is there too much vibration.Thanks Randy

Posted

My brother-in-law has a Bing 54 carb that is leaking at the fuel line connection.We found a small crack at the base of fitting.Is there a fix for this,it looks like the fitting is pressed into carb body and not threaded. Not sure if there is some epoxy to cure the problem or is there too much vibration.Thanks Randy

is the crack in the fitting or the carb body? Either way, I would be looking at replacing the affected component. A temp fix in an area that could have fuel dripping on the hot exhaust could really F up your day! Not to mention, at the least, it could cause fuel starvation to one cylinder leading to a nice melt down of said cylinder. This too would only happen at the most in-opportune time and also really F up your day.

:BC:

Posted

is the crack in the fitting or the carb body? Either way, I would be looking at replacing the affected component. A temp fix in an area that could have fuel dripping on the hot exhaust could really F up your day! Not to mention, at the least, it could cause fuel starvation to one cylinder leading to a nice melt down of said cylinder. This too would only happen at the most in-opportune time and also really F up your day.

We were kind of thinking the same way,dont want to take any chances.Its the brass fitting that is cracked right near the carb.You need a magnifying glass to see it but its there.I hooked up a outboard fuel tank and when I squeezed the primer bulb it would finely spray out the crack. Leni,is it possible to tap out the carb for 1/8 inch pipe thread or should a guy just change the carb.Seems there must be a way to change the nipple,but dont want to comprimise safety.Thanks Randy

Posted

We were kind of thinking the same way,dont want to take any chances.Its the brass fitting that is cracked right near the carb.You need a magnifying glass to see it but its there.I hooked up a outboard fuel tank and when I squeezed the primer bulb it would finely spray out the crack. Leni,is it possible to tap out the carb for 1/8 inch pipe thread or should a guy just change the carb.Seems there must be a way to change the nipple,but dont want to comprimise safety.Thanks Randy

You might try calling Bing Power Systems at 620-767-7844, They do repairs and also have a manual on Bing carbs. Could be the best source of info

Jack

Posted

Is there some corrosion going on inside the brass tubing? I can't think of any good reason that it would be cracked unless it was getting thin, or it had gotten whacked hard and bent and someone tried to straighten it. I have never seen a fuel inlet crack before even in some horrendous snowmachine wrecks. I am 90% certain it is just a press in fit for the nipple, but a call to Bing should tell you all you need to know on this one.