582 overhaul

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Looks like I have to have my 582 overhauled. I am pretty sure the center crankshaft seals are leaking when the engine is running. I am not sure who I should send it to and how much it should really cost. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan L.

Avid Model C Speedwing

Posted

There is a way to check to see if seals are leaking.  If you want to know how it's done, I'll dig up the info.  JImChuk

PS,  on a hunch, I typed something into the search box, and found this posting I made a while back.  So wheather you want it or not, here it is.  :-)   JImChuk

www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/4969-rotax-582-front-cylinder-egt-high/#comment-43169

Posted

Hi Jim,

I did check the rotary valve reservoir with positive pressure. Held pressure with minimal leakage overnight. It didn't leak a drop when filled with 2 stroke oil while sitting on the workbench for several weeks and rotating the crankshaft by hand every time I was at the hangar. After that I put it back on the Avid and refilled with oil while bleeding air from the reservoir. I have run the motor numerous times since then and every time I have a loss of oil in the reservoir. Often I would have a large air bubble come from the crankcase reservoir up the hose to the remote tank when I tip the tail up as high as I can reach after shut down. I have been fooling with this since December. Other than a test flight in December when I noticed the rotary valve oil consumption I have not been able to fly my Avid since early 2017 due to a repair and then more repairs after flooding during Hurricane Harvey. I really want to get it back in the air but this engine is driving me crazy.

Dan

Posted

I read the article again. It seems like it would be tough to do on the Avid since the exhaust is not easily removed. I would also have to find a source for rubber sheet. If I did this how do I determine for sure that the center seals are leaking? Air bubbles in the oil like I get after an engine run up? If it is not the center seals then I have no idea how this would be happening.

Thanks,

Dan

Posted

Just a thought... you did purge the rotary valve chamber at the bleed screw located above the water pump? some people haven't because they didn't know about it and trashed their engine and plane in that order because of it.

Posted

Just a thought... you did purge the rotary valve chamber at the bleed screw located above the water pump? some people haven't because they didn't know about it and trashed their engine and plane in that order because of it.

I always open that plug when filling and replace it when oil starts coming out. I also have the tubing connected to the remote reservoir properly so air will purge there while filling (top hose from engine block to the fitting that has the tube running to near the top inside). When testing and running up I have released enough air bubbles to equal more than the volume of the rotary valve block reservoir after 10+ runs. I should have tried to track the amount of oil I have added over that time but I think it has been at least half a pint.

Posted

Back to the original question - I strongly recommend Rotax Rick. The quality and communication is perfect, price is right, and he is quick. 

2 people like this