912 installation in a Model C

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi All

I'm currently sourcing parts and information regarding the installation of a 100HP Rotax 912 on my not yet finished Avid Model C. I've flown with a Model IV with the same Engine at the front and it was just fantastic!

I've got the original Mk IV engine mount on order and am now looking for installation instructions that maybe came with the Mk IV back in the days. Also i would be interested in any pictures and drawings regarding the installation of the engine, especially the exhaust system and the whole cooling setup.

Any advice on the exhaust? should i just buy the Rotax Exhaust kit and then try to fit that at the front of my avid or is there a better base to start with or even a finished exhaust that just fits the avid?

So anyone with a 912 (80 or 100 hp) in front of their firewall, please speak up and give me some guidance on how to tackle this project :) I'm still new to even building the airplane, not to mention merging a newer and an older model of a no longer produced kit :)

cheers

Pascal

Posted (edited)

The MK IV build manual is available for download on this site.  I fly a MK IV with a 912ULS and as you stated the performance is great.  I built a SS exhaust for my plane using bends but I used the original muffler.  The back two cylinder pipe are very tight and I would wait until you have the engine mounted to see what you need. I looked at an exhaust for KF four but was not able to verify that it would fit and the folks at KF were interested in giving me measurements to see if it was possible.  I now have a friend with a KF and could check it out to see if it would work.  There are a few places around that can build you an exhaust but you have to do all of the figuring so you might as well just do the fitting and get someone who tig welds SS to put it together for you. attached is a picture of the old pipes.

IMG_0111.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG

Edited by wypaul

Posted

here are some pics of the mount I made for a local AK guy who put a 912 on his MK IV Avid as well as the exhaust and radiator mount.  

20161104_094521.jpg

20161112_204631.jpg

20161113_141938.jpg

20161111_155857.jpg