Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Project is off the ground

12 posts in this topic

Posted

With the help of a friend (who is building a Avid/KF hybrid), I have finally begun the process of restoring/rebuilding my 1200. Today was just the start of disassembly. Wings, tail, cowling and the start of removal of the BRS. (Any help with this will be appreciated. I don't want it to go off...)

(I'll get some photos to put up shortly. For got the camera.)

DHolley is familiar with this plane. It is pretty ugly on the outside, but it's looking better and better from the inside.

Posted

Larry I would call BRS or find some literature on that thing if your at all unsure of how it works. That could be deadly if that thing decided to take off in the shop lol. Glad to hear your getting starting. Wish I could afford a kit I'd build one. I had a blast with mine.

Posted

Here's a couple of shot to start the process...

post-36-12903927470014_thumb.jpg

post-36-12903927704276_thumb.jpg

Posted

Rip it apart, get er done. Looks like the shop came out nice! :BC:

Posted

I haven't got permission, YET, but I'll be doing some documenting on my buddy's build he is starting, too. Maybe I'll get him on over here to put up some info.

He just bought a Avid-C/IV/Extended fuselage from Brett and is planning Kitfox IV wings, Rotax 912 and a combination of other custom mods and parts that he will build. This will be his 4th tube and fabric plane (Vagabond, Champ, 150hp Clipper) and his first experimental. He a retired millwright and fabricator extraordinaire of custom early 1900's Indian motorcycles!

We'll be doing some stuff together and common mods to both planes. I'm getting pretty stoked on this one.

Posted

Rip it apart, get er done. Looks like the shop came out nice! :BC:

Doug, believe it or not, the inside of the wings was pretty clean. The fabric was really bad, but the structure is pretty good needing only very minor repairs (on the worse wing).

Posted

Very good news indeed! Hopefully he didn't leave out any drag/anti-drag tubes... just because?... like the side stringers! :handjob:

Posted

Right on, good to see forward progress on the bird! Lotsa pics Mr. I like to see the planes transform as the work progresses.. Something the fat bastard has forgetten to do in quite some time :lol:

:BC:

Posted

:funnypostabove: from the guy in the glass house! :)

Posted

:funnypostabove: from the guy in the glass house! :)

Called to the carpet and I cant even put together a Chinese straight with the cards I am holding :lol: I guess the dog ate my engine mount excuse wont work with this group.. Damn, foiled again :lmao:

:BC:

Posted

Would anyone be interested in following the rebuild process if I post pictures and a narrative here?

Posted

Would anyone be interested in following the rebuild process if I post pictures and a narrative here?

Hell Yes,The more info the better.Thats what I like about this forum,you learn from your own and everybody elses mistakes and can collect a wealth of information.The builders manuals are not worth much so its all up to what ever we can find out from other builders.Good luck on your project. Randy