Some people need to leave carbs alone

3 posts in this topic

Posted

I got a call from a guy who bought a ridgerunner with a new 503. He said it would not run right and heard I knew how to tune Bing carbs. After a brief conversation it was determined that the carbs needed re-jetted because he bought the plane at sea level and took it to an airport in Montana (3300 agl). I flew the Magnum over to his place and took the carbs apart. What I found was shocking. 1. The needles were installed on top of the cup which is a pretty common mistake. 2. One needle was a 11K2 and the other was a 15K2. 3. One jet needle was a 2.72 and the other a 2.68. That engine was suppose to run 2.70 jet needles. 4. One slide had excessive wear where the idle screw hits the slides and had a pin whole in the side of the slide. 5. either carb had a sieve sleeve installed over the main jets, 6. wrong main jets for his altitude. 

The carbs were obviously brand new with the engine but the tops and the slides looked to be off older carburetors. I'm kinda thinking someone bought a new engine and used the old throttle system including slides. One white cup looks old and one looks new.  Not sure why all the jetting was so far off unless they were chasing another problem or didn't know one set of jets or needles were not the same. The pin hole in the side of the slide is a mystery too. I've never seen so much wear on a slide. 

I'm looking for  (1) 11k2 needle, (2)  2.70 jet needles, (2) 153 or 152 main jets and (1) slide for a newer style Bing 54. If you have any spare parts laying around let me know. 

Posted

I have an Arctic Sparrow adjustable needle set up for a 503.  It consists of modified Bing 54 carb tops, cups, slides, and cables with threaded 11K2 needles silver soldered onto the cables.  All paperwork and instructions included.  The Hacman has made these Arctic Sparrow adjustable carbs kind of obsolete so I would give them to this this fellow if he may want them.  This set up was modified by Mike Jacober, who developed the adjustable needle system.  If your friend is interested he can have them for the shipping cost.  I'm in Ellensburg, WA.

They need a good home.  I'll get some photos if you're interested.

PS.  You mentioned he needs slides for a newer style Bing carb.  These are 1994 vintage so I'm not sure if these slides will work.  I'm not familiar with the newer carbs.

1 person likes this

Posted

That would be great. I'll send you a PM. Thanks tci