Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Finally brought it home, more photos in the morning.

32 posts in this topic

Posted

0831191327.jpg

Posted

Just make sure to spread the wings before taking it off the trailer. 

Posted

We should have, but didnt. Made it into the shop okay though. Have read a lot of your topics, you sound very knowlagable. Any specific areas to take photos of to help find any lurking problems. Now that its at the ranch feeling a little overwhelmed. Wing tanks have been on my mind, it has the aluminum tanks and reading that they need to be replaced. Every plane ive been around has AL tanks. Having a hard time believing fiberglass is a good replacement. Fox is on the back burner unroll we are finished farming.

Posted

Mostly just knowledgeable where ive screwed up or my digging has found little nuggets. Id also look at your tailspring. Looks like mine,  meaning it's sprung. Should be angled more downwards. You don't have any support for the aft fuselage on that trailer. All the weight of the wings on the tail could well have overloaded your spring. 

Posted

Nice that you have the plane home with you.  Now you can work toward getting it in the air.  Here is an idea for trailering the plane if that is going to be something you do.  I had to take the tailwheel off, because the angels were set up for an Avid Flyer and they were a little short for the Kitfox.  This does a good job of supporting the tail of the plane plus the added weight of the wings folded back.  This picture was taken after I had hauled the plane 1500 miles from Texas to Mn. What engine are you going to go with?   I do have a couple of 582s, one has never ran, the other has 160 hrs on it.  Both were torn down and inspected and got new seals and gaskets last summer.  JImChuk

Photo0587.jpg

Posted

Anybody know how to reduce image size on Android phone? Can't get other pictures to post. As for the tail spring it does have the extra leaf already. Jim it had a 503 on it. Have everything except the engine. Thinking I will be patient and wait for the skytrak gear box for the apex yamaha engine

1 person likes this

Posted

Sorry for the typo, the phaser engine. Dont think the big one will fit to well.

Posted

15673630323622519800315496849326.jpg

15673630925586979332191660762836.jpg

15673631786288254292910515032207.jpg

15673632244786442854391459952219.jpg

15673632608603198116153376764294.jpg

15673633000518173911547100665203.jpg

15673633409971600305462226435186.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Removed flaperon and pulled a wing today. Havent found anything bad yet. Planning on using the acrobat reinforcment plans for the hangers.

0907191333_HDR.jpg

0907191332a_HDR.jpg

0907191332_HDR.jpg

Posted

Removed flaperon and pulled a wing today. Havent found anything bad yet. Planning on using the acrobat reinforcment plans for the hangers.

0907191333_HDR.jpg

0907191332a_HDR.jpg

0907191332_HDR.jpg

Why did you cut open the wing fabric? Was /is it bad?  If it was to inspect the inside you don't normally open up the wing like that but istead you make access holes from underneath or get one of these 30$ tiny borecope cameras you hook up to your laptop. A pinhole is enough to inspect the inside as these cameras are tiny and include a bright LED light

Posted

All-and-All it sure looks like a clean bird, looks like a motor, gauges, and a few things and she b a flyer again. Or r u doing a rebuild? 

Posted

Original plan was to throw an engine on and go. As for the wing fabric it appeared great to my untrained eye, a quick punch test said otherwise. Reasearching fabric right now and oratex looks like a huge labor savings. To replace the Al tanks is there and aftermarket source for new ones?

Posted (edited)

Supposedly these guys sell wingtanks that will fit your plane.  I would give them a call and get the info  straight from them.  JImChuk

Ridge Runner Ultralight - Rocky Mountain Wings, L.L.C.

realflying.com
Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Supposedly these guys sell wingtanks that will fit your plane.  I would give them a call and get the info  straight from them.  JImChuk

Ridge Runner Ultralight - Rocky Mountain Wings, L.L.C.

realflying.com

I bought 2 tanks from Stace. Good looking tanks and fit pretty good without much adapting. Price wasn't outrageous either. Pleasant guy to deal with. Installed one and kept one to replace the 6 gal alum tank if I need to. So far no issues with the alum 6 gal tank so don't plan on replacing it unless required. I don't want or need 20 something gallons of gas to haul around, 12- 15 gal is enough for my needs. Some do, but I built mine as a hayfield hopper. My cross country days are over. Now I am looking for a foldable or roll up 5 gal fuel container to carry with me. Empty of course, till I need to use it.

Posted

Progess has been non existent the past couple weeks. Have had zero luck finding replacment 6 gal tanks, calles Kitfox a couple times now and havent heard back yet on price and wait time, spent a little time removing right wing and pulling fabric off the other. Found 3 broken false ribs, one because of me. What chemical will remove glued fabric without harming rib glue or rib varnish? Second picture is the one I broke, it has already been spliced at one point along with three others spread out along the wing. 4th picture is broken and warped have yet to find the broken piece. Removed 15 or so mud daubber nests.

1018191245.jpg

1018191246.jpg

1018191245a.jpg

1018191246_HDR.jpg

Posted

fabric punch test is not really conclusive, ESPECIALLY it if was covered in the "light" fabric.  If it was polytac, acetone takes it off.  if the rib varnish comes off too then just brush a little more back on.

Posted

Thank you, just picked up a gallon of acetone from town. Al foe flaperon hangers came in today so going to spend the evening in the metal shop. Is there a better epoxy to use for re ataching false rib than whats in the build book

Posted

I think the hysol called for in the book is still pretty much the standard.

Posted

I'm going to be doing some work on my fuel tanks with ProSeal. Ive heard that you can get a quart of it from vans for about the same price as a pint most anywhere else. That'll be more than i need for the fuel tanks I think. I also have the pvc leading edges to install and the fuselage stringers. Just wondering if the proseal will do it all satisfactorily?

Posted

Thank you, just picked up a gallon of acetone from town. Al foe flaperon hangers came in today so going to spend the evening in the metal shop. Is there a better epoxy to use for re ataching false rib than whats in the build book

Kitfox kits used to come with scotch weld 2216 epoxy.  It is a 3 to 2 mixture by volume or 5 to 7 by weight, so it's a little harder to use then the hysol which is 1 to 1 ratio.  It does seem to last longer then the hysol, like forever.  I have some that is all of 25 years old, and while I don't use it for structural stuff on the airplanes, I'll use it on anything else around the place just to use it up rather then the new stuff I have for the airplanes.  The old stuff seems to work just fine, seems to hold just as good as the new stuff.  I've had the Hysol get grainy after about a year, been told to heat it up and it will go back to normal, which it does seem to do.  When I mix epoxy, I use a small scale to first weigh the plastic cup I'll mix in, then about half as much of one part of the epoxy that I'll want, then a quick calculation will tell me how much of the other part of the epoxy to add and what the total weight should end up at.  (for instance, say the cup weighs 5 grams, you add 10 grams of the part a scotch weld, you are now at 15 grams.  14 grams of part b expoxy would give you a 5-7 mix, so you should end up seeing a total of 29 grams of weight on the scale when you have the right amount)  Just throwing out those numbers as an example....  Use a popsicle stick to move the epoxy out of the can, so you can let it slowly come off the stick when you are getting close to the right weight.  Actually, I use that method of weighing with whatever epoxy I'm using, Hysol, or T88 or whatever.  Works real easy and is accurate as well.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Have all the flaperon hangers cut bent and drilled, ordered hysol a few minutes ago. Going to try acetone in the morning for fabric removal. Should I worry if and when I get it on a epoxied joint?

Posted

No worries on getting it in the joints.  The acetone will flash off fast. If you are just talking about fabric removal, grip it and pull, it will come right off.  I have never bothered using anything to remove fabric.

:BC:

Posted

If it was polyfiber MEK will loosen up any of the coating and the poly tack

Posted

So I have realized that I am not an airplane builder, just not enjoying it like I thought. So I have decided to sell this project. And find a complete aircraft. Should any of you guys be interested let me know. What specific pictures, information, and paper work would make a complete advertisement for a great add? 

Picture is the start of building runway at the farm.

Posted (edited)

Man they r lots of work when doing a rebuild, but u know its not rocket science, it sure worth it when u get her done, urs is in good shape u should keep on it and not give up, i went thro the pissed off, tired, bumbed out mode with both of mine,  and Leni talked me out of that and kept me going on it.  And im SURE glad i did continue!!!  Its damm well worth it, and u know what u have when ur all done.  

Dont give up!!!! 

Edited by Buckchop
3 people like this