Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Builder of Avid Type and a Yamaha RX1

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello All. I am a new member here, and I wanted to introduce myself. I have been an aviation enthusiast my whole life, and I now I am FINALLY working on actually building and flying my own plane. I just bought a Yamaha RX1 with 250 miles on it. I intend to use the engine is some form of a Kitfox/Rans/or Highlander custom build. My goals are safety, low build cost and operating costs (I'm a middle class father), and a fun factor. Being new at this, I am happy to learn from all of you. I will be harvesting the RX1 motor within the next few weeks. So you all can school me. I am an engineer by profession, and I do know some about airplane physics, so I can speak the language, but you all have the valuable experience. I have a lot to learn about which airplane to build, how to mount the Yamaha engine, how to weld up mounts (I have a TIG welder), which gearbox is the most dependable, etc... I look forward to learning and sharing with you guys/gals..

Posted

Welcome to the group!  Keep us informed of your progress!  And pictures are always nice.  JImChuk

Posted

Welcome to the group!  Keep us informed of your progress!  And pictures are always nice.  JImChuk

Thank you and will do.

Posted

:welcome:

Posted

I am preparing to build a small 2 place with a Yamaha RX1 motor. Previously people were using the Rotax C gear cases. I am questioning the reliability/durability of these. What is the best option for adapter/gearbox these days? I don't want to orphan my children by using anything inferior. I am currently considering install in a Highlander or Superstol.

Posted

Welcome!

You may have seen my RX-1 build post (link below).  It has some info in there.

When deciding about the yamaha my main question was also about the c gearbox.  Through my research I have found it to be very durable and can point to several examples with over 400 hours on them.

FYI There are approximately 120 yamahas with the c gearbox (some flying for over 10 years now) and the only two examples of problems were bearing failures that were tracked back to improper assembly.  Those two planes did not suffer powerloss.  The pilots noticed excess noise and some play in the pinion shaft on preflight.

As with all aircraft engine types, someone flying a yamaha will have a failure out at some point.  That is inevitable.  I won't tell you that it won't be you or I to be the first to see that happen but so far the gearbox (and the yamaha) have proven out really well with no reports of power loss in the air.

Posted

Thank you and will do.

A0C059F4-70DE-4298-9069-E8C99FF829DA.jpeg

CE145F78-17BE-40FC-8375-EAD59054EEF3.jpeg

Posted

I just picked this beauty up. 

1 person likes this

Posted

She’s got low miles. 

ACE25B92-5A28-4B04-B4CD-92FE645D141D.png

Posted

I know where there is another one with the same mileage. Basically a brand new 2003 RX1. Very rare. 

Posted

Now I need to find the most reliable gearbox/ adapter combo for the motor.  I heard Teal does some very good work with this stuff, and he recently made a new system for the Apex. I wonder if he has anything new for the RX1. #Teal, if you could chime in here. 

Posted

I talk to him often.  Last word was that he hoped to adapt the new apex adapter-gearbox to the RX1 but is first focusing on the Phazer kit.

Posted (edited)

That’s great Yamma. I spoke with Steve Henry, and he really praised Teal’s new gearbox. I am hoping for something of that caliber. I am an Electrical Engineer on a design team, and I have access to a hand full of exceptional Mechanical Engineers/cad jockeys. If Teal needs some resources, have him reach out. 

Edited by Supermotive
Added content

Posted

Time to start the Rx1 motor extraction. 

Posted

Today’s progress. Does anyone have a repair manual for this 2002 RX1? I could use one for some of these procedures. 

1D6DB539-0F25-4AED-9A44-B80579FE9C82.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Man that thing looks like you stole it off the showroom in 2002!

Heres the manual for it:

Edited by Yamma-Fox
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Man that thing looks like you stole it off the showroom in 2002!

Heres the manual for it:

Thanks for all of your help Yamma-Fox. And also thanks for all of your other contributions in this arena. I have a couple of experience related questions for you that I would prefer to ask offline. Do you have a number I could reach you at? Please PM me if you would. Thanks.

Edited by Supermotive
mispelled word
1 person likes this