Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fuse sidewall gusset materials

6 posts in this topic

Posted

So got all the templates cut for some epoxy in gussets in the fuselage below the doors what materials are people having luck with holding up? Aluminum, chromoly, sheet metal, plywood? And what epoxy seems to work best? Planes a mk4 with airdale backcountry gear. Thanks guys!

Posted

I used .040" chromoly, but it was welded in, not epoxied.  This is my Kitfox 4, you can see how I widened the fuselage in the second picture.  JImChuk

Photo1368.jpg

Photo1369.jpg

Posted

That looks great Jim. Ive had the top pic saved along time on my phone. Lol. Unfortunately my planes all covered and complete so im guessing epoxy is the way to go, with that im wonderingbwhich materials would bond best.

Posted (edited)

So it looks like T88 epoxy is the choice for curing in colder climates. Now ideas for material? Plywood thickness? 1/8th? Or 1/16 aluminum? Suggestions?

Edited by Jaws136

Posted

I would think T-88 is more of a glue for wood.  It is pretty runny as well, I doubt it would stay in place in your case.  I think either scotch weld 2216 or Hysol 9460 would be a better choice.  (these are the epoxies Avids and Kitfoxes have used to glue the ribs to the spars in the wings)  And then mix the epoxy with cotton flox to thicken it so it stays in place till it hardens.   JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

Just my 2 cents, but I'd sure use something with some compressive strength, like high quality 1/2" plywood, or thicker.  It should be a tight fit between the tubes, inside the triangles.  1/8" won't do much at all, other than buckle!  I have 1/2" ply in my seat truss area, held in place with zip-ties.