Book Recommendations?

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Another post reminded me how I'm always looking for a good next book.  True life aviation stories. 

I'll start with a couple of my favorites but please toss in your favorites here too (with a little description of the book)

Screenshot_2019-09-18-22-17-57.png

Screenshot_2019-09-18-22-19-24.png

Screenshot_2019-09-18-22-22-03.png

Posted

Great idea!

I have a rather large collection aviation books and I'm always looking for good additions. 

One book I read recently and really, really liked was Flight of passage by Rinker Buck. Very much in the spirit of this group and an amazing true adventure by to young boys at a time when everything was possible...

5d83abeaaf147_51bFUMo4RJL._SX296_BO12042
Description from Amazon:

Writer Rinker Buck looks back more than 30 years to a summer when he and his brother, at ages 15 and 17 respectively, became the youngest duo to fly across America, from New Jersey to California. Having grown up in an aviation family, the two boys bought an old Piper Cub, restored it themselves, and set out on the grand journey. Buck is a great storyteller, and once you get airborne with the boys you find yourself absorbed in a story of adventure and family drama. And Flight of Passage is also an affecting look back to the summer of 1966, when the times seemed much less cynical and adventures much more enjoyable. 

Amazon US link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0786883154/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0

I hope this string will be long!

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Another "must read" is obviously Chuck Yeager's "An Autobiography"

No description needed... The language is colorful and the story amazing.

5d83ae7df0f85_51yf095YpPL._SX307_BO12042

Amazon US https://www.amazon.com/Yeager-Autobiography-Chuck/dp/0553256742/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1568910855&sr=8-1

and when you have read Yeager's book and seen The Right Stuff one more time you will appreciate The Happy Bottoms Riding Club - The life and times of Pancho Barnes

5d83afe5bb7fe_51DRHT4ThXL._SX334_BO12042

Amazon US: https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Bottom-Riding-Club-Pancho/dp/0812992520/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr= 

Edited by FredStork

Posted

Just finished Don Sheldon's story.  Great book for sure!  Don flew out of Talkeetna AK on the 1950s-70s and was the first to routinely land on the slopes of Denali, usually bringing in climbers and doing some rescues landing up on the mountain above 14,000 ft.

Screenshot_2019-11-26-22-48-42.png

1 person likes this

Posted

Forever Flying, the Bob Hoover story (the greatest aviator that ever lived).  Great book, amazing life!

foreverflying.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Ernest  K. Gann:

circus.jpg

spirit.jpg

we.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm not the reader you guys obviously are so this book is not stories of aviation legends, but I have found this particular book to be the best of my collection regarding STOL flying technique, camping, survival and everything back country.

The author presented at Oshkosh last year and I found his presentation interesting enough to buy his book. Best of my meager collection of "flying skill and technique" type books.

Chris

13-17897.jpg

2 people like this