Classic IV Restoration

453 posts in this topic

Posted

Great Vid and Congratulations!

Posted

awesome airplane!! I know its early but how is that prop performing. Looks like your climb out was good!!

Posted

Excellent job Larry, it looks great and sounds like it really performs!

Posted

I have a total of about 20 minutes flying time.   I really can comment on performance yet because I was just very gently handling her until I can do a stall routine and see what's what there.

It did pull very hard and seemed to climb like a rocket, but I can't give any numbers.   I did push the nose down to level attitude and with a high power setting it quickly accelerated past 115 mph...

Posted

Nice Larry, nothing like a first flight.

Posted

Congratulations looks awesome

Posted

She now wears her name proudly...

TheName.JPG

2 people like this

Posted

Success! My hat is off to you for a fabulous redo, many neat little touches incorporated. Hope to get a good closeup at OSH this year.

Posted

Doug, I look forward to giving you the full tour and maybe even a ride in Smitty's Mangy 'Ol Fox...

Posted

So Awesome! Congratulations!

Posted (edited)

I don't want to jinx it, but I think I am "finished" with this build. 

I finally got the ignition system fixed and working properly.  The Dynon system and the rest of the panel is calibrated and working properly.  The only thing I may yet do is to send the prop back for a little tweak to get some more rpm.  (I'm only showing 4800 on takeoff and would like to see 5200+)

I put about 2-1/5 hours on it yesterday and I'm getting the feel of this plane a little better now.  There may be a few adjustments, yet but I think she's officially done. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Av8r3400
2 people like this

Posted

The prop came off today and is headed back to Lonnie Prince for a little tweaking.  He thinks he can get me a couple hundred rpm at the prop (4-500 crank) without losing any diameter.

He's promising me to have it back before the end of April. 

I was was only getting 4800 rpm on takeoff which is low and leaving a fair amount of horsepower on the table.  If I can get 5200 or 5300 on takeoff that will be a marked improvement. 

Posted

Well hopefully we have a wet April then.

Posted

For at least the next week the weather here is forecast as excrement, so that's at least 1/3 of the time.  

I do need to give a little love to 'Ol Yeller, too.  She's been parked in the back of the hangar for a while...

Posted

I do need to give a little love to 'Ol Yeller, too.  She's been parked in the back of the hangar for a while...

Better not let her get to jealous of your "new love"  You know what they say about a woman scorned.   ;-)  Jim Chuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Surely-You-Cant-Be-Serious-In-Airplane-G

Posted

Proof it does fly...

Mangy.thumb.JPG.83359ed96a511f60a0b78804

1 person likes this

Posted

Tail Modification PIREP:

Per the request here's what I can say as of today:  The Tail modifications I did to this plane are excellent.  The rudder response at low speed is much better than my other plane as well as the pitch response at low speed especially with full flaps deployed.  The trim tab does a good job, but is not large enough to trim out all of the flap stick pressure.  Honestly, I don't know if it is possible to make a tab big enough to trim out all of the flap pressure.  The pitch response allows for a nice controlled flair with full flaps deployed.  Tight now I have too much flap available, so much that with them fully deployed I'm getting reversal.  I will be reworking my "flap gate" to limit some of the full flap movement.

I was concerned a little going in that the pitch increase would have a detrimental effect on the stall characteristics.  I thought there would be a possibility that the increase in pitch effectiveness would make the stall break much quicker and more pronounced.  This is not the case.  The power off stall is a bit more of a pronounced break, but not overly so.  The plane still just kind of bobs her head like with the smaller tail only a little slower.  I haven't attempted a spin yet and don't know if I will or not.  The rudder response to center the ball is very good, so I think the recovery will be as good if not better.  I'm not real comfortable doing spin testing.  I may have a buddy do some for me, he's a aerobatic trained and experienced pilot.  I'm really not.  The power on stall is almost impossible with this engine/prop combination.  It just hangs there on the prop, almost vertical.

3 people like this

Posted

Did you get the prop back?  How's the performance now?

Posted

Yes, I have the prop back.  Performance is very good.  I'm very pleased.

5200 on initial power up for takeoff.  Accelerates to 5500 on climb out with near 2000 fpm climb.

Cruise at 5000 is about 100 mph.  Wide open is 6000 and 115-120.

Posted

Great to hear, sounds like Mr. Prince nailed it.   Near 2000 fpm?  WOW! 

Posted

Just a little update of the Mangy....

Mangy_Bush.thumb.jpg.29198095207ece4b764

1 person likes this

Posted

Nice Bush Wheels Your gonna need a ladder to get in that thing

Posted

Bwaaahahaha,  i knew you were gonna piss on your 21" tires and step up.  looks very nice mr!

:BC:

Posted

Bwaaahahaha,  i knew you were gonna piss on your 21" tires and step up.  looks very nice mr!

Not so fast.  The 21s are staying.  They are now the winter tires (to go with the skis) or the long trip (not to the outback) tires.  I got a second set of wheels to facilitate quick changes back and forth.

1 person likes this