Classic IV Restoration

453 posts in this topic

Posted

This is going to be an ongoing documentation of the restoration of my Kitfox Classic IV. Hopefully by documenting my trials and tribulations this can help someone else who is doing a project like this.

Day #1, 11-21-2010

Organized the shop and pulled off the wings of the plane. The h-stab and elevator were already off and hanging on the wall

post-36-12909991281682_thumb.jpg

post-36-12909991451671_thumb.jpg

Posted

Day #2, 11-26-10

With the help of some information from BRS, I removed the recovery parachute from the plane today. I do not plan on reinstalling the parachute. In my opinion, it is unnecessary, excess weight on a very safe designed airplane. Here is the information I got from BRS:

BRS-5CanReturn.pdf

Posted

Day #3 11-27-10

I started removing fabric today. I'm starting on the tail. The hardware attaching the rudder is rust-frozen in place, so that will be an on-going project. I might actually rework the hinge design for the rudder. I really don't like the "rod-end" style hinges that are on the plane. I may go to a more standard "pin" style hinge, like on my 1050 model IV.

post-36-12909997627921_thumb.jpg

post-36-12909997847099_thumb.jpg

post-36-12909999272493_thumb.jpg

Posted

Day #4, 11-28-10

Today I removed the IVO prop, drained and removed the rubber lines in the cooling system and took off some more fabric from the back of the fuselage.

Here is an "exploded view" of the stack-up of parts on my adjustable IVO prop hub, a couple of detail shots of the heater core valve that was installed, and the progress on the fabric removal.

post-36-12910005386341_thumb.jpg

post-36-12910005953967_thumb.jpg

post-36-12910006359588_thumb.jpg

post-36-1291000691013_thumb.jpg

post-36-12910007172391_thumb.jpg

Posted

Larry- I'm looking forward to this! Also, lotsa lotsa pics, but -please- consider downsizing your pics before posting. 800 x 600 makes viewing much quicker/easier without having to scroll around. Thanks!

P.P.S. - On the outside chance someone does not know how to do that, right-click on the pic file or thumbnail in My Pictures and select Resize-Medium to make a smaller hi-rez copy (that is saved with the original), then attach the resized pic to your post.

Posted

Larry- I'm looking forward to this! Also, lotsa lotsa pics, but -please- consider downsizing your pics before posting. 800 x 600 makes viewing much quicker/easier without having to scroll around. Thanks!

P.P.S. - On the outside chance someone does not know how to do that, right-click on the pic file or thumbnail in My Pictures and select Resize-Medium to make a smaller hi-rez copy (that is saved with the original), then attach the resized pic to your post.

Okay, Doug. Critique taken to heart. I have reset my camera to take smaller pics, this is the easiest way to do this. You must have one of those new fancy fandangled computers. My ol POS doesn't have that function (XP Pro).

For the record, I didn't do anything on the plane tonight. Too tired...

Posted

Okay, Doug. Critique taken to heart. I have reset my camera to take smaller pics, this is the easiest way to do this. You must have one of those new fancy fandangled computers. My ol POS doesn't have that function (XP Pro).

For the record, I didn't do anything on the plane tonight. Too tired...

Lol, I have to run XP Pro on my biz lappy too. Here's what you can do... Go to Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP, then download and follow the prompts to install the free ImageResizer.exe application. See the quick tutorial at eHow or wikiHow showing how to resize pics. Works great, will just make a smaller size copy without losing original pic or resolution.

Fuse looks pretty good under the rat fabric! :beerchug:

Posted

Looking good Larry! One word of caution.. The metal washer on the threaded shaft should be replaced with a teflon washer. The damn thing will rattle on the shaft and bugger up the threads and you wont have full pitch range adjustment.. Been there done that twice, and it is not cheap to replace the shaft. Have not had any issues with the teflon washer in mine.

:BC:

Posted

Looking good Larry! One word of caution.. The metal washer on the threaded shaft should be replaced with a teflon washer. The damn thing will rattle on the shaft and bugger up the threads and you wont have full pitch range adjustment.. Been there done that twice, and it is not cheap to replace the shaft. Have not had any issues with the teflon washer in mine.

Can you tell me where you are talking about? The elevator pushrod rod-end?

Posted

The rest of the fabric is off...

post-36-12915254106377_thumb.jpg

post-36-12915254279827_thumb.jpg

Posted

Looks great. Will this be at Oshkosh next year? Hope to see you again at the Red Barn field. Russ.

Posted (edited)

Russ, probably not. I'm hoping to fly this plane in the spring of '12. That might not be a realistic estimate, either, but that is what I'll be shooting for. I'll be back at OSH next year with my Yellow Kitfox, though...

I did some more tear down of the electrical (mess) system tonight. Nothing that shows well in a photo. Most of what I did tonight was around removing and organizing the Sigtronics SP400/RES401 intercom/stereo system. Fairly intricate with a control box, two switching boxes and 4 pounds of multicolored spaghetti...

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

More disassembly...

post-36-12918621879125_thumb.jpg

post-36-12918622024522_thumb.jpg

Posted

Looking good.. now comes the really fun part. Covering! I actually really enjoyed it on mine

Posted

Looking good.. now comes the really fun part. Covering! I actually really enjoyed it on mine

Lots more to do before that, Leni. Remove the engine and build a new firewall, rewire the whole thing, fab and install a home made wide body kit, new doors, yadda, yadda, yadda...

Posted

While you are at it, you may as well put in an extended baggage too. You can look back in the pics of my rebuild and see how they did the one on mine. As nose heavy as you probably are with the 912, you should be able to load it up pretty good and still be well within your envelope. I have loaded mine up pretty damn good when making a supply run out to a friends summer cabin on Chisik Island. I should have taken pictures of all the crap I had in the plane.

I loaded up 4 cases of soda's, 4 cases of Spam, 40# of potatoes and a cabin full of other groceries. The more the plane was loaded towards the aft CG the better she flew, and I was able to actually fly level with the elevator trim at neutral. Normaly, I have to run with full up trim on the elevator and still have a very slight amount of back pressure on the stick to hold level flight.

I had to put my plane in the hangar the other day to thaw it out after a snow / rain cycle. I had 13.5 gallons in the plane and full oil, but removed everything else. My little piggy came in at 709# on the certified scales. I about shit! That put it at 623 empty!! She is going on a diet when I get back home. New instrument pannel that will be bare bones! The stock pannel is HEAVY with a bunch of useless crap that can get hucked out the door. The heavy certified 24" tires are out the door and I will go with the king fox or the new 26" airstreaks for experimentals when I go back to wheels.

Posted

Dealing with a baggage area is part of the list. I really like the way the Eurofox/Aerotrek planes are done in the baggage area. Metalized, upholstered and big...

1 person likes this

Posted

Larry the plane that Mark Ferkin just finished has a pretty crazy baggage area. Ty posted some pics on the KF forum a while back in their first flight thread. As I recall it didn't take much modding and it I saw it in person it was huge.

Posted

Now that's what I'm talking about... (album)

post-36-1291942843648_thumb.jpg

Posted

Now that's what I'm talking about... (album)

Not to brag, but um... Mines bigger than yours is :lol:

Mine goes from the back of the seat to the rudder :snack::lmao:

Posted (edited)

Well, I'm almost done tearing down the mangy fox.

The latest photos:

post-36-12975613686082_thumb.jpg

post-36-12975613821001_thumb.jpg

post-36-12975614197771_thumb.jpg

post-36-12975678763691_thumb.jpg

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Looking good Mr.! I was thinking that I needed to get my pacer in the garage and start the rebuild on it, but I am having motivational issues at the moment. Hell I can hardly talk myself into heading down to the garage and putting the new doors and cowling on my plane. Talk about a pisser... Lastnight I cut the new lexan, got all the Fn rivets in and went to put the inside door handles on. One drop of locktite hit the nice new lexan. Guess who has a nice big craze in his nice new lexan doors now... Yup, that would be this unlucky jackass :lol:

Oh well, it will just have to do till the next time I get energetic, I dont have time to replace them again before our next fly out.

Posted

Progress report please!

1 person likes this

Posted

I cleaned the dust off it the other day... :dunno:

Posted

Weren't you going to lend the fuselage to Brett so he could make up a repair jig for other Model IV's?

-- Paul S