Classic IV Restoration

453 posts in this topic

Posted

I was wondering if you were going to stripe the doors or not, I like them clear. Me thinks you'll be bringing that Mangy-no-more to OSH next year. Looks great on the ground, here's hoping performance blows you away!

Posted

Sanded 827 layers of Krylon, laytex, polytone and what appeared to be asphalt driveway sealer off these damn things.

Now to properly prime and paint them yellow…  

Flapperons.thumb.jpg.9e2ad430dbacc7317e9

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Larry,

I was wondering how they seal those narrow slots for the hangers - the old flaperons had a large space there and they used heat to melt the foam and 9460 to seal the foam on each side of the slot.  My new ones will have the narrow slot too, but they are not foam-filled.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

The slots are open.  They are not sealed or filled on any model Avid or Kitfox.  The build manuals call to drill drain holes in each "bay" of the flapperon to drain the collected water.

Posted

Gee Wis your gonna have to do another w&B after that.

Posted

Sanded 827 layers of Krylon, laytex, polytone and what appeared to be asphalt driveway sealer off these damn things.

Now to properly prime and paint them yellow…  

Flapperons.thumb.jpg.9e2ad430dbacc7317e9

Are the blue gizmos counterweights?  Good point on doing a new balance but it can only be better than it was eh?

Posted

Yes, the blue parts are the counterweights. Kitfox went to using two on each flapperon with the IV-1200. This kept the flapperons from twisting at higher speeds and allowed (in part) an increase of the VNE to 145 mph. 

Once the plane is complete I will be doing a new weight and balance, yes. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Do the flaperons themselves require balancing like most primary flight control's on faster aircraft do?  Are the counterbalances adjustable in either position or weight? Or is it a non issue on the Foxes?

Posted

Do the flaperons themselves require balancing like most primary flight control's on faster aircraft do?  Are the counterbalances adjustable in either position or weight? Or is it a non issue on the Foxes?

Non issue.  They're not adjustable. You'd have to really lay on filler and paint to cause difficulty with Kitfox flaperons. 

Posted (edited)

It should be easy to check the balance of the flaperons, but I am fairly sure that they are made in an Over-balance condition to contend with any moisture, ice and dirt that could build up inside of them, not to mention too much paint.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

With the Avids, there was a page in the manual that told how to balance the flaperons by fileing off some of the counterweight.  Don't remember if the Kitfox manual says to do that though.  Jim Chuk

Posted

Yes, Avid designed their Flaperon counterweights to be builder adjustable. Kitfox did not. Pretty sure I posted the Avid flaperon balance procedure here on AFF forums at one time.

Posted (edited)

I purchased one of the "crazed pilot" led controllers.  It's installed and working as advertised.  I will let everyone know how well it keeps up over time. 

Right now waiting on a fancy switch to operate it and some more odds and ends. Hoping to have everything but the flapperons, which are now prepped and painted, but no hangers, wrapped up this Saturday. 

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

You are using the controller with different, not crazed pilot, lights?

Posted

Yes. I am using the vision x lights referred to me by Leni a few pages back. 

The stand alone controller says it can handle 5 amps each channel. These lights are only 1/2 amp. 

1 person likes this

Posted

By chance did you obtain the ski's Smitty had with that bird?  If so, any idea how they worked?

Posted

No. I have my own skis (see my YouTube videos). 

I didn't know he had skis for it. 

Posted

This thing is seriously cool!  Cant wait to hear about the first flight as it sits now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Wiring is finished!!  Lands lights and controller set up and functioning as advertised. 

Primed the oil system in the engine.  Made 60 psi of pressure on the starter.  (Was also able to configure the Dynon so it could read the pressure sensor!)

I finished the firewall to cowl seal today so now I can button things up and run the engine for th first time.  That may happen this week. 

Still waiting on powder coating of the flapperon hangers...

1 person likes this

Posted

Damn your getting close mr!

:bc:

Posted

image.jpeg

5 people like this

Posted

Hello Dave (?), now that is some funny stuff!

BTW... I think you work way too cheap, that definitely looks like a 2x Cynthiana paint job to me.

Happy Holidays!

Posted

Techteach is actually Daves son, Jeremy.  He's been home helping on building (disassembling) wings for the J5/PA12 project Dave is starting now. 

A couple of characters, to be sure...

Posted

Yep, it's Dave's son Jeremie. 

We spent three days pulling apart a Tripacer wing. How many dang screws do they need in those???

We just had to give Larry a hard time....we were hoping he'd have time to stop in for a few of those special mixers.

Larry, your plane is looking awesome. Can't wait to see how it flies! Keep up the great work!

Hmmmm. Do you think those flaperons would work on a J5/PA-12.... HA!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Powder coated small parts...

Flapperon_Hangers.thumb.jpg.51e69dcd97a1

Flapperon Hangers

Pitot_Mount.thumb.JPG.c2cb7a9ce96c356527

Pitot Mount 

Rocker_Boxes.thumb.JPG.8a1a28f93b4fd10d8

Rocker Boxes

Edited by Av8r3400