Classic IV Restoration

453 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have a water shut-off valve for mine - operated by push-pull cable.   Does the Rotax have its own thermo in addition to the one for the heater? 

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I haven't totally decided on the valve setup for the heater core.  I have a remote cable operated valve that came off the plane, but it's heavy and clunky.  I may replace this with a simple plane valve operated from under the cowl.

The 912 has no OEM prevision for a thermostat in the cooling or oil systems.

Posted (edited)

Day 4 of working on the "cowl flap" for the radiator.  I'm beginning to hate my life.  I am now committed to finishing this damn idea and making it work, though...

Seriously, I am near finishing the fabrication and building stage on the fuselage.  Then the big disassembly and the airframe goes out for sandblast and powder coating.  Wings are next.  Actually should be pretty easy.  Just disassemble, clean, revarnish the ribs, install the new fuel tanks, mount the pitot/AOA mast, mount the remote compass for the Dynon and slap a little fabric back on them.

I have a high goal of maybe even flying this thing next year…  Maybe.

Edited by Av8r3400
1 person likes this

Posted

I missed the earlier discussion about the thermostat. The only experience I have with this is from when I installed a Subaru engine in our 87 VW vanagon. The cooling system is fairly complex because the radiator and front heater core are at the opposite end of the vehicle from the engine.

Anyway, I found that having a good flow of heated coolant directed at the thermostat was required to make the thermostat function properly. I had to buy a special spacer (designed by another Vanagon guy) to go in the thermostat housing to accomplish this. Temp stays rock solid now.

btw, glad to hear you are making progress Larry. That's more than I can say for my project lately.

Posted

Well, here she is.

post-36-0-18392300-1421470896_thumb.jpg

We've begun the process of tearing her down again.  I'm hoping to get her out for media blast and powder coat in the next couple of weeks.  Then, final assembly.

The goal of flying her this year seems attainable.  At least today it does.

1 person likes this

Posted

that baggage area looks awesome , it will be a camping machine. lookin good

Posted (edited)

Looking good, you've incorporated some neat ideas and improvements. I'm no engineer but I wonder if it would make sense to add one or two more side gussets under the doors to the rear vs. the weight penalty? Or, even though you won't initially be using bungee gear, maybe a couple gussets in that side-to-side, under seat, bridge truss while you're at it (we both have experience with that truss ;) ). One thing I do know, it will never be any easier than now and I would be kicking myself in the future if it ever became an issue! Also, you might consider making the two triangular sheet metal panels that the flaperon push/pull tubes pass through easy on/off (velcro?) so you can do inspections or retrieve wayward objects without removing the seat pan (ever drop a nut or safety pin when disconnecting the push/pull tubes when folding/unfolding wings, grrrr!). So what color powdercoat are you thinking?

Edited by dholly

Posted

Larry,

What is the bag compartment made of, and how much does it weigh?

EdMO

Posted

The metal behind the seat pan is screwed to threaded tabs welded onto the airframe.  Easily removed.

The entire baggage compartment is aluminum sheet metal (.032").  It hangs from the airframe and is self supporting.  Upon disassembly I will weigh it to determine if lightening holes are needed or not.

Posted

Finished with the disassembly.  Kinda sad it only took a couple of hours to completely undo all of that building...

post-36-0-40455200-1421735736_thumb.jpg

Posted

It's hard to pull it apart, but it's the first step in final assembly to get this lady in the air! Keep at it mr!

:BC:

Posted

Looks good Larry. The fun part will be putting it back together for the last time. I'm looking forward to seeing that happen.

Posted

I hear ya. I destroyed this Avid I just got in 3 hrs today. Sad to think of the hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars these guys spent on the original build. I have all the kit info. They paid just over $19k for the kit with motor. Flew it a handful of times and sold it 23 years later for the price of about 5 tanks of fuel. Sad to think there are many more that were never saved.

1 person likes this

Posted

I'll never understand paying so much for something and working so hard on it just to let it die.....

1 person likes this

Posted

Well--  Here she is.  

post-36-0-91468300-1421897007_thumb.jpg

Dropped the Mangy Fox off at my refinisher.  Crystal Finishing.  

They are going to blast with Aluminum Oxide and re-powder coat it.

Posted

If you don't mind my asking, roughly how much to do that? Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

Larry,
I would be interested to know what the blasting and painting cost you. You could PM me if you don't want to post it. Mine was $1000 for blasting and 2 coats of epoxy, and included tailfeathers and nose gear.
I couldn't see all the pain of blasting on my own, and the cost and bother of painting - thought it was worth the price.  They do all of the WACO fuselages that my welder builds.
This was a company that did our cranes when I was with the Coast Guard Indusrial, so I knew that they did good work - They charged the government a lot more!
EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

I will share the total when it's done.  I'm doing the fuselage, doors, h-stab and elevator.  They gave me a range, which I'll keep to myself for now, depending on the amount of time required to blast.  They've done aircraft before, so I'm confident they will do a good job.

Probably done next week, they told me 10 days or less.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted (edited)

I heard from the guy at powder coating today. My plane will be ready to pick up Monday. As promised, I will share the cost when I have an invoice in hand.

Actually it is ready for pickup tomorrow, but I'll be out of town for the day on business.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

I am also curious on this in case it comes up with the sale of this project I have. I listed that fuse on barnstormers tonight. I'll have to be honest with any buyer that I recommend it be blasted and recoated before being put back into service. Be nice to know roughly what that costs if anyone asks. I am too lazy to go back in this thread. What color did you go with Larry?

1 person likes this

Posted

Light grey.  One of their "stock chip" colors.

1 person likes this

Posted

New update:  As of today, I have a Lonnie Prince Prop being made for this plane.  78" diameter x 50" pitch.

Posted

Say what? More info please! Sounds like a custom surf board carver to me. Wood?

Posted (edited)

Lonnie Prince Aircraft Company (PAC)

Yeah, I guess he is a custom surfboard carver.  He's been around longer than Catto and hasn't gotten as big of a head (about half the price).

The prop is a wood core with carbon fiber cover and hardened leading edge.  Weight is approximately 9 pounds.  The Prince props are famous for having the "P" tips.  Looks like the tips of an aluminum prop that has had a slight ground strike.

This one probably looks familiar...

lg_DG8X56DJ11Y9JVK_Levy4.jpg

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Thanks for the link and filling in part of my education.  I was surprised their online configurator had so many flavors of KF's and Avids.  I like that you can get an idea on configuration and pricing after filling a couple of dropdown choices.  Are they adding a Kitfox Rotax Zipper in your honor?