Classic IV Restoration

453 posts in this topic

Posted

Well, here she is.  Mangy no more.  (But the name has stuck forever!)

post-36-0-91122000-1422911780_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-04681800-1422911792_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-24792400-1422911803_thumb.jpg

For the record, I had the airframe, h-stab, elevator and both door frames media blasted and powder coated.  The total on the invoice with tax was $260.

Yes.  Incredible.  See the link above to call for your own appointment to have it done.

1 person likes this

Posted

That price is amazing. Looks great!

Posted

Wow, what a deal!  It was around $900+ when I checked up here several years ago.  I had my Avid+ done in ID by Airdale (Steve Windner at that time).  I think it was around $450 if I remember right. 

Same color as yours Larry. :buttrock:

Posted

Starting the final assembly.  First steps of the 100 mile journey…  

post-36-0-15337000-1423024493_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Remember that baggage box?  Well, it's getting modded a little to lighten it.  To keep things from falling out it will also get some upholstery on the inside...

post-36-0-31721600-1424237148_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Larry,

You got a bargain!

Wondering about that header tank - Shouldn't it be behind the cabin tubes? At least that is what Kitfox shows.

How much did the bag comp weigh before lightening? - and waiting for after weight.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Yes. Kitfox does show the header tank behind the seat bulkhead. That's where my baggage are is now, so it's going in front of the bulkhead directly behind the seat pan. It's really designed to fit there anyway. We did a pressure test on the tank and lines, and just like everyone else the tank leaks. So I'm going to use it as a pattern and build an aluminum one.

The cutouts easily took half the weight away from the side panels. I'll weigh it when finished.

Posted (edited)

Where did your tank leak? I haven't heard of the headers leaking.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed, the header tanks are a real bitch to seal up the threaded connections.  I used fuel lube the first time, then a few other things.  The permatex gasket sealant seems to be doing the trick this time.  I had to replace most of the fittings with various abortions to get the treads to seal.  home made fender washers, rubber gaskets etc.  Some get lucky and they work good, others have dealt with drips and weeps.

:BC:

Posted

Wow thats not bad.  When I built my gear, I elected to have it powder coated.  150 bones.  Guy said that the cost was to fire the burner in the oven more than the size of the workpiece sprayed.    

Posted

Ed, the header tanks are a real bitch to seal up the threaded connections.  I used fuel lube the first time, then a few other things.  The permatex gasket sealant seems to be doing the trick this time.  I had to replace most of the fittings with various abortions to get the treads to seal.  home made fender washers, rubber gaskets etc.  Some get lucky and they work good, others have dealt with drips and weeps.

Loctite 567.  Will make you one happy camper.

Posted

I will order some up for the next time I have the bird in the garage.

Posted (edited)

Leni,

glad to hear it is the header tank fittings leaking, and not the tanks - at least it can be fixed. Got to look at specs on Loctite 567 or 579 - might be better with plastic than my 545 :huh:

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Fittings into this polyethylene tanks leaking has been a common gripe for the Kitfoxers for ever, it seams.

Phuque it. We started on an aluminum tank today. That won't leak from the fittings. Period.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Most of the 500 series thread-sealers are the best I have found, and you can use them on aluminum too.

The only difference between my 545 and the 567/579 is the temperature rating for the last two is a little higher, like 400F and 300F.

The low-numbered sealers 500-501, etc, are anerobic, and only used on metal to metal fittings. The mid to high 500 numbers can be used for any material.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

First time I looked at this threat and I like how you did it by keeping all your pictures in one section think I will start that under the kitfox 1 section since that section is dead. also I like the stringer you added to the top of your bird, we'll call that the fast back mod.

Posted

Final assembly underway! Baggage compartment getting carpet and installed.

post-36-0-23287100-1425741120_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-79276800-1425741146_thumb.jpg

Here's the new aluminum header tank.

post-36-0-49845200-1425741171_thumb.jpg

Posted

Also had a precover inspection by my A&P so he know what's what when we do the condition inspection later this summer.

Posted

That is the nicest baggage compartment I have ever seen, your setting the bar quite high for the rest of us to match, you know that right. :)

Posted

That carpet is incredibly light. That whole baggage area weighs less than 5#.

Posted

How thick is the aluminum you used in the baggage compartment? Thanks, Jim Chuk

Posted

.032"

Posted

Started covering today...

post-36-0-85614600-1426638353_thumb.jpg

Posted

Man o' man... you sure are working 'ol Dave awfully hard. HA! :chug:

Posted

He told me he was cooking maple syrup today.  He surprised me by starting fabric.   So, working together, we finished the bottom face...

Before you ask, Ed, it's the Poly Fiber system.   :lmao:

1 person likes this