Classic IV Restoration

453 posts in this topic

Posted

I think I had that figured out already! :lol:

EDMO

Posted

Wow is that shop clean.  Remind me not to post any pics of my messy work shop when I start the fabric on the Avid.  Got the trim and rudder cables today, so could start fabric anytime they are installed.  Jim Chuk 

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm with Jim.. All I could do in that shop is sit on a stool and drink for fear of getting things dirty in there... my garage looks like a tornado hit it when I am in the middle of a project.. but I get the work done and out of the garage then clean.. takes too long to clean every day during the project :lol:

Although.. as I get older, I do find myself picking up things in the middle of a project more because I can no longer remember what pile of crap I have a tool hidden under when I need it.

nice to see the progress on the bird Mr!  I got some all the control surfaces and cowling on the 180 stripped last time home, now to get the fuse and wings stripped next time home and start painting her.. hope to have it ready for the water when the ice goes out this spring!

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Still working on the plane.  Things have been pretty busy but I do have some progress to report.

We got some fabric on the left side of the plane.  Waiting on some rudder cable farings to put in, then the other side goes on...

post-36-0-61151400-1427506823_thumb.jpgpost-36-0-05663700-1427506888_thumb.jpg

Today I gathered up my courage and cut up my new panel.  I cut out the openings for the Dynon, the GPS, radio and transponder.  Then temporarily mounted the trays.

post-36-0-12626500-1427506759_thumb.jpg

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted (edited)

Looking good!  Keep at it.  I'm making up a new panel for my Avid rebuild as well,  Laid everything out on a piece of cardboard, but didn't cut anything yet.  Incredibly clean shop by the way!  LOL  ;-)   Jim Chuk

Edited by Jim Chuk

Posted

Did some more work to the Panel today.  

I cut the opening for the ELT control panel and for the USB power plug.  Waiting on my ignition switches, key-switch and toggles to locate and drill for those next.

Posted

Keep motoring Larry!  You're making great progress.  The fabric and panel are looking great.  Def going to fly this year if you keep it up.

Posted

The fuselage is covered.  You can see the unique profile of the dorsal fin ahead of the vertical stabilizer.

post-36-0-55239200-1427768189_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-71765200-1427768206_thumb.jpg

Also got the rudder cable farings positioned.

post-36-0-58413000-1427768174_thumb.jpg

Posted

Did you just add the extra tube at the dorsal fin for looks? Looks good, it's coming together! Jim Chuk

Posted

The looks of the fin was part of it. I wanted to add more vertical tail for improved stability and control.

Posted

Yes, it will impact how tightly the wings will fold. Mine, like many, will rarely - if ever - be folded, so that is not a high priority.

Posted

Almost looks like mine, except mine is curved up to the VS.

Good Progress Larry.

EDMO

Posted

I got the rest of the vertical stabilizer covered this afternoon...

post-36-0-57495900-1427949161_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-54954100-1427949172_thumb.jpg

Posted

Started with Poly Brush and tapes today...

post-36-0-42339600-1428367524_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-56166800-1428367601_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-50242500-1428367616_thumb.jpg

Posted

Looks good! I was especially happy to see the fabric scraps on the floor in the first picture... ;-) My epoxy showed up late today, so I was in the shop till 9 PM putting things together. Jim Chuk

Posted

Looking awesome! That's gonna be one sweet machine mr!

Posted (edited)

I forgot to grab some photos, but spent the day yesterday painting. No not the fuselage, all the other little bits and pieces that needed it.

Brackets, clamps, control sticks, rudder peddles, etc. I also did the grove gear. I don't like polishing and it was already in a DA sanded finish...

I'm a solo act at work this week, so I doubt anything will get done until next weekend, now.

Edited by Av8r3400
1 person likes this

Posted

Well, the fuselage has moved into the spray booth.  I hope to have the painting done on it soon...

post-36-0-07197100-1429586653_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-69254200-1429586670_thumb.jpg

Posted

Looking good Larry, now is when the hard work starts paying off and she starts looking like a plane again!

Posted

Looking good, it's nice to get done with the finish tapes and get to have fun with the spay gun.  Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

As of today, the fuselage and rudder are in Nevada Silver.  This will be the finish color of the bottom of the airplane.  In an attempt to keep weight down I used this color (per allowable procedure in the Poly Fiber manual) in leu of the second and third coats of Poly Spray.

post-36-0-37655000-1430090984_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-59165800-1430091000_thumb.jpg

Edited by Av8r3400
2 people like this

Posted

Since the top of the plane is going to be yellow (with a red stripe) I needed to first paint these yellow areas white, so that the color doesn't get muddied by the silver...

Posted (edited)

Since the top of the plane is going to be yellow (with a red stripe) I needed to first paint these yellow areas white, so that the color doesn't get muddied by the silver...

post-36-0-24062600-1430370636_thumb.jpg

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Now I painted it red.  That makes Nevada Silver, Tennessee Red, and then democrat Yellow…   :lmao:

post-36-0-29605000-1430446042_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-26661200-1430446070_thumb.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

It's going to look nice. When are you hoping to have it flying? My project is on hold, two weeks ago I again talked to the 90 year old lady that owns the land behind me about getting a bit of land of her back forty to extend my strip. It's 1500' long with trees on both ends now. Next day I got a call from her daughter who handles her affairs, and said they would be happy to sell me some land. (couple of years ago the lawyer told the mom "don't do anything that has to do with aviation") Anyway, I'm busy with my D6 cat extending my strip by another 550'. That will make a big difference being one quarter longer. Don't mean to hijack your thread.... Jim Chuk

post-329-0-15339800-1430455489_thumb.jpg

post-329-0-08408700-1430455516_thumb.jpg

3 people like this