Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

PA-22-108 Piper Colt experience???

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all.  Wrong kind of plane and all for this site, and it even has the steering tire on the wrong end, but maybe some one will comment anyway.  I know they are not the best STOL airplane out there, but if you had 2000' of grass and trees on the end at 1500' MSL, would it be any issue getting out once it was rebuilt.  Not as a regular thing, more of a one time thing with not a lot of fuel and just the pilot on board.  Engine is a just overhauled 0-235 Lycoming.   I wouldn't think it should be a problem, but have no experience with them.  Mostly it's just swapping engines, and putting the panel and interior back together.... Any comments?  And I already know I'm crazy so you can skip that part...:lmao:JImChuk

Posted

I had a Colt for a while and while it is a little short on excess horsepower, it does a pretty decent job if flown light. I flew it out of 1400' quite a bit but always with just me and half fuel. With 2000' in front of me and a cool day, it would not be a problem. One should be in the air prior to the 1000' mark with room to spare. Climb rate in mine was around 4-500FPM on a given day. I could never get the approach just right to get a smooth flare. Wasn't the airplane, just me. I guess I tried to fly it like a 150 and it wanted to fly better. 

1 person likes this

Posted

4968 Left side (1).jpg

4968 Right side (1).jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

I have some time in one as well.  Put a climb prop on it and you might be shocked at how quick you can get her in the air.  A buddy here has Colt #1.  While your working on it.. Putting those small N numbers right above the horizontal stab keeps them out of sight when flying above eye level :lol:  

:BC:  

1 person likes this

Posted

Putting those small N numbers right above the horizontal stab keeps them out of sight when flying above eye level :lol:  

And why would you say that Leni??? :lmao:Thanks for the comments guys.  JImChuk 

PS  and for not telling me what I already know.  :lmao:

1 person likes this

Posted

Putting those small N numbers right above the horizontal stab keeps them out of sight when flying above eye level :lol:  

And why would you say that Leni??? :lmao:Thanks for the comments guys.  JImChuk 

PS  and for not telling me what I already know.  :lmao:

Its classified... I could tell ya, but then... :lmao:   yes, I do practice what I preach.

pacer 1.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

The Pacer is looking good Leni!!!! 

1 person likes this

Posted

I'd have a Pacer in a heartbeat if the wings folded. Or a Colt!  But currently a folding wing bird is my only option. Got several hours in a "milk stool" (Tri-pacer) w/150 hp and a good off strip bird contrary to all reports. A solid gear under it, direct steering, single brake handle on most, a few stc mods to improve things, and once reasonably priced. A Wag-Aero copy is a good option.

Posted

Page one where it shows performance says 1500'.  Where did you see the 1850?  JImChuk

Posted

Never seen an old piper yet that has read the book!  Never could teach mine to read!

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Page one where it shows performance says 1500'.  Where did you see the 1850?  JImChuk

On the takeoff performance charts, sea level, no wind, max gross, Page 28. But that's at 80 degrees, at 60 degrees it is 1700'

Edited by nlappos
1 person likes this

Posted

Gross weight is 1650.  Empty is supposed to be 940 or 985 depending on options.  Probably would be weighing about 1250 or so going out of my strip for the one time thing.  I'm sure there is quite a performance drop when you add the 400 lbs to take it up to gross weight, so I should be ok I'm guessing.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I would not think twice about going of a 2k strip.  If your worried just put in enough gas to get you where your going next with required reserves.  If you are only going a few miles to a larger strip there is no need to have the tanks topped off.  That is just more gas to dribble over you as your hanging in the trees at the end of the strip.

1 person likes this

Posted

That is just more gas to dribble over you as your hanging in the trees at the end of the strip.

Sounds like a ringing endorsement to me!!!! :lmao: JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

That is just more gas to dribble over you as your hanging in the trees at the end of the strip.

Sounds like a ringing endorsement to me!!!! :lmao: JImChuk

I know a lot that top off the tanks before every flight.. why carry around 4 hrs of fuel for a 30 min flight.

If that has dual wing tanks, remember, below 1/3rd tank DO NOT try and take off on the right tank or do much aggressive maneuvering unless you like to pilot a greased anvil.  I think the only bird with a steeper glide than an avid is the pacer / colt.

I am planning on Stewart tips for mine.  50% better glide and increased climb / cruise to boot!  

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks Leni for the heads up.  It does have duel tanks.  36 gallons total.  If they just had one tank, was it on the left?  JImChuk