Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Oddball Question

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Since I am not a high tech redneck I'll ask. I know some of you use a notebook/I-pad for navigation such as foreflight, avr, etc. What is a good notebook/I-pad to get with built in GPS.  I have been mulling over getting one just to use for basic nav functions. Not wanting something too big but not as small as a smart phone (they are smarter than me) since the eyes aren't as sharp as 20 years ago. Have been using a hunter type GPS and it gets me there and back but no map feature, just compass heading and radial. I consider a 15-20 mile trip a cross country around here and know the area well but sometimes they start looking all the same from looking out across the ridges level. I guess I am breaking over wanting to use newer tech stuff. My map, compass, watch days are fading as I get older. Hey I still use the E6B whiz wheel!

Posted

I have a Nexus 7 and use the free Avare aviation GPS software on it.  Works real good.  I have the Avare on my phone as well.  Can't beat the price for the software.  Here is a link to a Nexus 7 tablet on ebay.  New - open box.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-Google-Nexus-7-2013-2nd-Gen-16-GB-7-WiFi-Android-Tablet-Charger-New/283637561734?hash=item420a1db986:g:JwcAAOSwSNddnR7z

I also have a Samsung Tab A tablet that is a bit newer, but probably more $   JImChuk

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-A-8-0-2018-32GB-Wi-Fi-4G-LTE-GSM-Unlocked-Tablet/274038898628?hash=item3fcdfdbfc4:g:2gEAAOSwgGJdmAjF

Posted

Thanks, I'll check them out and see if I can find one locally.

Posted

Check on craigslist maybe.  Quite a few different kinds of 7" or so tablets that will do what you need.   JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Where I live there's quite a few restricted areas,  SLC class bravo and other hazards so I consider a gps and tablet as mandatory minimum equipment. Also i just watched this video this morning and they talked about how the ga accident rate has gone way down largely because of the new adsb weather services. 

You have to be careful because there's a 20 minute lag in the weather info but still it gives a good picture of what's around you.  You also get TFR and other info. Which could well save you a ride in a police car if the president makes an unplanned stop in your area(if the fighters don't shoot you down first).

This reciever is one of the cheapest I know about: https://crewdogelectronics.com/products/stratux-ads-b-dual-band-receiver-aviation-weather-and-traffic-ahrs-waas-gps

And it has a backup ahrs so if for some reason your other instruments go on the fritz. 

I love the situational awareness it provides. I'm somewhat directionally challenged and this helps with that alot. 

Posted (edited)

Ads-B would be a plus since its common to pop up over a ridge and have a C-130 or V22 coming at you at 200kts at tree top level.  Weather isn't a big issue for me. I fly for fun anymore. Gusty, rain or crappy weather, I stay on the ground. My min vis requirements are 10 miles here in the mountains. I am getting mild in my old age.

Edited by Allen Sutphin
1 person likes this

Posted

Was playing around with my wife's old Viking Pro tablet and it has built in GPS so probably had the solution all the time and didn't know it. Its a 10" tablet so I can see it. Duh!

2 people like this

Posted

One big trick is sunlight readability. Take the tablet outside and check. I use an old Ipad Mini 2, costs used on ebay about $100, and I use Garmin Pilot ($75 a year) and it is terrific!

I velcro the ipad on the panel, and it is like an efis.

2 people like this

Posted

Don't really have room on the panel for a 10" screen so will have to come up with a different plan. I find that if I take a nap, a solution always comes up.

Posted

One big trick is sunlight readability. Take the tablet outside and check. I use an old Ipad Mini 2, costs used on ebay about $100, and I use Garmin Pilot ($75 a year) and it is terrific!

I velcro the ipad on the panel, and it is like an efis.

I too use garmin pilot on my phone and tablet.  We had an issue here this summer when a TFR was expanded due to the forest fire.  When they expanded the TFR it only showed the new larger expanded area on the garmin pilot app and took out the original TFR area.  A few guys got nailed for busting the TFR due to this.  They wanted to check out how bad the scene was in the fire area and thought it was now clear to fly over that section.

I love the moving maps and the weather updates etc that we now have available to us in the air.  There are countless times I could have used them in my early years flying up here.  Don't get lazy and loose your old school pilotage though.  Its sometimes fun to follow along on an old beat up folded chart and see if you can keep up with where you are on the sectional.  

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted

Hey I know I'm a little late to the party here, BUT.

If you guys are looking for a CHEEEP ADS-B IN solution, check this out.

Get one of these Software Defined Radios

https://www.amazon.com/NooElec-NESDR-Mini-Compatible-Packages/dp/B009U7WZCA/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-p13n1_0?crid=2U1T12IYVJ0IS&cv_ct_cx=sdr+antenna&dchild=1&keywords=sdr+antenna&pd_rd_i=B009U7WZCA&pd_rd_r=77af8cb5-6591-46ea-b2bd-119add6eb131&pd_rd_w=PZwYH&pd_rd_wg=3SOqC&pf_rd_p=1da5beeb-8f71-435c-b5c5-3279a6171294&pf_rd_r=YK3MEW9Y2GAW87FMPFPB&psc=1&qid=1594594270&sprefix=SDR%2Caps%2C218&sr=1-1-70f7c15d-07d8-466a-b325-4be35d7258cc

, A USB OTG (On To Go) Adapter, (BE absolutely sure your device supports OTG, a lot of 7" tablets don't while phones do and10" tabs do)

And Avare ADSB Pro

And you're good to go. After launching ADSB Pro, open the Avare moving map app and the adsb will be included. Be aware (ha) that the usb dongle pulls power from the device it's hooked to so battery life will be hit. MAYBE it will work with a usb hub and external power source. Haven't looked at that so I can't say.

Posted

I made the cheap solution with a Raspberry Pi  for ADSB in. Seems to work great on the ground but I never flew with it.  The rental palne I currently fly has ADSB in/out.  I have a Samsung tablet with Avare app.  I'm just a student pilot but I was practicing the other day and decided to treat myself to a quick detour across the lake.  Grabbed the tablet and set a plan to take me back to the airport.  It was a joke how easy it was to use.  I have a knee board that the tablet clips to.