Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid/Foxes?

20 posts in this topic

Posted

Was strolling thru barnstormers and noticed that the low to mid priced Avid/Foxes that are for sale are drying up. Either people are hanging on to them, being sold at the local level, or just very few wanting to sell them. Was not surprised due to new kit planes costing a small fortune nowdays.  Why spend 50-100K for a new kit when a flyable one can be had for 25% of that, or once could be bought for that. Guess those days are over! Anybody else see this coming?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Given how long ago since Avid was in production and decades since the last kit produced, it would seem to me that the owners are unable to safely fly anymore and dying off, some aircraft are uncompleted kits/projects (I helped one of those get sold here); then there are some out of inspection, or un-airworthy, languishing in estates, garages, barns and hangers.  Heirs are ignoring them or as you point out they're sold at the local level. Occasionally you see the typical "friend of owner/seller" statement within the Barnstormers postings. Then there's some like me, hard landing or crash, now stored in the garage and can't quite decide what to do with the damn thing or lack of time, energy and budget to get it flying again!

Edited by allonsye

Posted

A wannabe owner doesn't know where to look for one. Most use barnstormers or the local strip to locate one. Otherwise they move on to another type of aircraft. Of course maybe Jim Chuk bought them all up! LOL! Him or Leni could be hoarding them all!

1 person likes this

Posted

Well, in that case, I'm hoarding one LOL.

Posted

I guess I'll hoard mine, too. Everybody is still stuck in the days gone by when you could buy a good one for 10K. At least the ones hunting one to buy.  I bought a new Ford Ranger the same time I bought my original model 4, both for $9900. Now the Ranger is 35K.

Posted

A wannabe owner doesn't know where to look for one. Most use barnstormers or the local strip to locate one. Otherwise they move on to another type of aircraft. Of course maybe Jim Chuk bought them all up! LOL! Him or Leni could be hoarding them all!

I'm not hoarding them all, just have 2 Avids, and 2 Kitfoxes.  Three of which are projects.  Plus assorted spare parts.  Oh I forgot, half a Chief and soon a Colt.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

If I had the foresight, I would have done the same. Lately, its like money in the bank. Saving my pennies now for a model 4 or 5 or a Jab 2200. Which ever comes first. From all info I can gather a jab 2200 will work in a Model 2. I like 2 strokes, but a smooth running jab 2200 would be sweet. I like what TJ Larsen did with his, model 1 I think. Could be wrong, have been before, divorced them both.

Posted

I've had a mostly good experience with my Jabiru 2200 engine.  All up installed weight is about the same as the 582 with electric start and a C gearbox.  I've put about 550 hrs on it.  Takeoff and climb is about the same as the 582, but cruise is better, and better fuel burn then the 582 would give if you cranked it up to get to the speed I usually cruise at.  I usually run the Jabiru at 2800 rpm in cruise and will burn 4 gph or a bit less.  That gives me right at 85-87 mph, (verified with GPS) The 582 would burn more fuel if I pushed it hard enough to get to that speed. Usually I burned 3 1/2 to 4 gph at 5000-5200 rpm and that gave me about 75 mph.  JImChuk

Posted

Just saw this on barnstormers.  I think that is a pretty low price.  Not sure if there is a reason for the low price, but here it is.  The Turbo version HKS makes 80 HP I believe.  JImChuk

Just talked to the guy and he has it on a quicksilver that was on floats.  Kind of hard to understand him but it seems he got rid of the floats and it has to much power and he wants to go to a 582.  Don't think he wanted an overhauled gray head though......

HKS 700T 80HP (50 HOURS) • $4,900 • FOR SALE • HKS 700T with ~50 hours. Currently installed and flying. Includes prop and Rotax 582 mount adapter. • Contact Kyle Sulek, -  located Cedar Rapids, IA United States • Telephone: 319-423-4552 • Posted October 16,

Posted

Funny I see this one today.  I have been thinking about putting the Avid on the market.  I love flying it, but in reality, with the kid along with me 99% of the time and the other birds I have in the stable, she just is not getting flown much.  At this point I think I would be happy to hang onto the Pacer, Coyote and amphib and let the C HH go to someone that will fly the crap out of it like I used to.

:BC:

Posted

Just saw this on barnstormers.  I think that is a pretty low price.  Not sure if there is a reason for the low price, but here it is.  The Turbo version HKS makes 80 HP I believe.  JImChuk

Just talked to the guy and he has it on a quicksilver that was on floats.  Kind of hard to understand him but it seems he got rid of the floats and it has to much power and he wants to go to a 582.  Don't think he wanted an overhauled gray head though......

HKS 700T 80HP (50 HOURS) • $4,900 • FOR SALE • HKS 700T with ~50 hours. Currently installed and flying. Includes prop and Rotax 582 mount adapter. • Contact Kyle Sulek, -  located Cedar Rapids, IA United States • Telephone: 319-423-4552 • Posted October 16,

If I remember correctly, the 700T originally had some issues with too much boost pressure. They might have corrected that. I thought they stopped production on the turbo model but could be wrong.

Posted (edited)

Or he can't fly it as a sport pilot. (just speculation) No turbo allowed. Sounds like an awesome deal to me.

Edited by ChrisBolkan

Posted

A real good deal. The engine listed for better than 13K new.

Posted

Or he can't fly it as a sport pilot. (just speculation) No turbo allowed. Sounds like an awesome deal to me.

I'm not trying to cause problems here just curious as I had never heard about tubos not being allowed in light sport. This was the first link that came up in a search for "turbos in light sport aircraft"

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2014/january/21/tecnam

There were more articles than just that one referencing turbos in light sport aircraft. So the question is do you have a reference to a FAA reg that supports your statement?

Posted

Im hoarding 3 model 1 Kitfox's here.

Mayb sell one of the flyers i have.  Ser#0021. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Posted

Seems I must be wrong about turbochargers not being allowed in LSA. I was sure I was right, but when I searched I cannot support my statement. Now I wish I knew where I came to believe that. I sure had it down as fact in my mind.

My apologies.

Chris

Posted

Seems I must be wrong about turbochargers not being allowed in LSA. I was sure I was right, but when I searched I cannot support my statement. Now I wish I knew where I came to believe that. I sure had it down as fact in my mind.

My apologies.

Chris

Some people see that turbine engines cannot be used in LSA and think it means turbo charged engines.

Posted

I know the difference between turbine and turbocharging, but for some reason I had still the firm belief that turbochargers were not allowed. I was sure I had read years ago that "normally aspirated" was in the requirements and it stuck like glue. But I sure can't find that statement anywhere now!

This is definitely a case where it feels good to be wrong! :-) (other than the whole losing my mind thing)

Posted

Not everything that was proposed in the original Sport Pilot regulations became law when it was finalized.  Maybe that is the case here.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I could see that being in the original proposal.  Some turbos are manually operated waste gates etc so its more complex and adds to pilots work load.  Kind of like having an inflight adjustable prop.  The turbo argument lost out and the inflight prop stuck.  That is something I could see happening quite easily..