Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rotax 582 real TBO

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello all I have blue head 582 with about 270 hours and pulled the exhaust all looks good no carb build up. I have a little bit of oil from front seal but just little not a lot. I was wondering how many of you run the 582 past TBO of 300 hours.

Posted

Hello all I have blue head 582 with about 270 hours and pulled the exhaust all looks good no carb build up. I have a little bit of oil from front seal but just little not a lot. I was wondering how many of you run the 582 past TBO of 300 hours.

You could tear it down and inspect it and if everything looks good just put new seals and maybe rings.I would be afraid to run it much with the front seal leaking.That could cause a lean condition and then you would be out a whole rebuild.I do think the 300 hours is a major overkill but 2 strokes cant have a pressure leak. Good Luck Randy

Posted

Your opening up a can o worms here. The answer is dependent on just too many factors and no one likes to tell because of liability reasons. What kind of oil are you running? How often do you run it? You running Avgas or 91 Octane pump gas? See where this is going? I run 92 Octane Pump gas with Amsoil Saber 100:1 mix oil pre mixed NO INJECTOR. My engine is ran at least once a week most times more. I plan on running it at least 500 hours as long as the compression remains solid and it doesn't develop any leaks. Things that decrease the life is carbon build up,corrosion from sitting, and poor tuning. My last 582 which I bought used had 2200 hours it total time. It had been fully rebuilt twice is all. It had 340 hours on it when I bought it. It sat around only being started once in a while, while I did my rebuild for 4 years. I flew it for 25 hours before trading it in on my Blue Head and it was running just fine. Hope this helps... I'm a believer that 300 hours is pretty overkill....but...you know what they say..2 strokes run awesome right up till when the quit.

Posted

I know of people who have had engine failures at 5 hrs and I know of 5 or 6 others up here who ran them 1500 + hrs on trikes at an old flight school. The guys at the flight school would run compression checks and pressure test the seals, if all was good they ran the piss out of them. If the seals start to leak, you put new seals in them and run the piss out of it. If you fly it or atleast run it once a week and keep the bearings lubed up, there is no good reason for the 300 hr TBO. The engine will most times let you know there is something going on with it be it getting hard to start, not pull full RPM, fuel consumption changes etc. I have no plans what soever to to a rebuild at 300 hrs.

:BC:

Posted

Guys thanks a lot for the input and I understand Joey and don't mean to start a big discussion on peoples opinions. I do understand that the more you run something the better it will be. My avid sat for a long time with not much flying done on it but I have been flying it a lot lately and it has been running very good but it has been getting hard to start but the plugs were in terrible shape. I have not run it yet since the plugs change because of doing some work to the exhaust. I am looking very closely at putting the 912S on it and in fact I have the Rotax dealer keeping his eyes open for one and he says he may have one coming in. My engine is a Blue head and I run 100LL in it due to the ease and availability. The oil I have used is pennzoil and also AV-1 oil I bought from CPS few years back in 5 gallon bucket. It runs great and I also have the oil injection and the automatic fuel/air adjustment bought from Green sky. The EGT's tend to be very stable at 1000 to 1050 all the time at cruise settings. Thanks for the input. What will I have to do besides put diff motor mount on if I were to change to 912S such as cowling and other things to consider. If I do change the engine I will be selling my Blue head and also have a nice 3 blade Prop made by Hot Prop if anyone is interested. Thanks Lonnie

Posted

Lonnie,

A lot of guys here have way more experience than I on this engine change and can give you better advise but I'm in the final (I hope!) stages of converting a KFIII from a 582 to a 912 and can share my experience. It's not that hard but it definatly involves a lot of tinkering especially if there are not off the shelf parts you can buy (or willing to pay the $ for) A partial list of the things I've changed out : engine,engine mount, vibration dampners etc. exhaust, oil cooler, cooling system, hoses, thottle and choke cables,throttle and choke handles, regulator, wiring, most insturments,prop, spinner and misc. cowling modifications. I'm sure there is some stuff I've left outbut you get the idea. The best help is to find someone with an instillation like you want copy it. No need to reinvent the wheel. Get plenty of pictures if you can, it's amazing how much time you can spend trying to figure out hose and cable routing etc. Like we said in school "why study use your buddy". Personally I found the old KFIII builder's manual section on the 912 instillation pretty of limited use. In the middle of all trashing about I started casting wistful looks at the old 582 sitting in the corner wondering(hoping) if was going to be worth it.

EG