Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tail Wheel refresher

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Crazy instructor called this evening and wants to fly tomorrow. Forcast 10-15 mph winds so either He's crazy, I am, or both of us.

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey Allen have fun with it.  10-15 is nothing for these nice little planes even if it a direct cross wind.  If it is down the runway it's just going to make your landings slower.  

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Since I am under phase 1 for 5 hrs we will use his plane. A 85 hp Champ stroked a bit. He normally gives rides in his Stearman. So if he can handle that machine, its probably a cakewalk for him in a Champ. Its been a few years for me in a tailwheel. But then I've sucked up a few seat cushions in my time.

Edited by Allen Sutphin

Posted

I think the Champ will be easier to land then the Kitfox.  Longer wheelbase for one thing.  Also, you are looking straight down the center instead of off to one side like the Kitfox, and on top of that, the Kitfox curving cowl that kind of makes you think you are going crooked when you aren't, and worse yet, just the opposite.  JImChuk

Posted

the Kitfox curving cowl that kind of makes you think you are going crooked when you aren't, and worse yet, just the opposite.  JImChuk

I haven't made up my mind about my cowl or firewall shape yet. I was planning on just duplicating the round top. I'm going to be sitting in the middle so that's not an issue, but is a flatter topped cowl more advantageous even when sitting in the middle?

Posted

I don't see any advantage to have the cowl any higher then the engine requires it to be besides looks.  Regular Kitfox has quite a bit of room between the cowl and the engine.   Of course that is because of the round style of the cowl.  I'm really not a fan of that cowl.  I'd rather see what's ahead of me.   Actually, when I was landing the Kitfox, I would have my head almost against the door, cause I would almost be seeing past the side of the cowl.  Avids, (partly because of the inverted engine) have a much better view over the nose then the Kitfox, flying or landing.  JImChuk

Posted

My challenger had the best visibility of anything I've ever owned. Compared to the Fox,it was like flying a chair.  If it had folding wings, I'd still have it. But the wings were just too big for any type of folding system. I built a folding wing system for it but one person would have a hard time doing it in a reasonable time. The CH-2 was an excellent STOL machine but had a weak gear, which isn't any good on a off field machine. So the Fox will do the job.

Posted

That will be fun Allen. Good luck with it.  Looking forward to your flight instruction debrief.

Posted

I think the Champ will be easier to land then the Kitfox.  Longer wheelbase for one thing.  Also, you are looking straight down the center instead of off to one side like the Kitfox, and on top of that, the Kitfox curving cowl that kind of makes you think you are going crooked when you aren't, and worse yet, just the opposite.  JImChuk

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I just transitioned to the Kitfox with the round cowl and "finding straight" was the biggest problem I had. For me I had a tendency to have the nose pointed left (sitting left seat). It was totally a sight picture thing. One thing that helped me was I mounted a go-pro on centerline by the rear spar carry through tube, recorded some landings on grass and later watching them on replay on my computer and I could see just how crooked I was. Centerline seating airplanes are always going to be easier for this aspect.

Posted

I don't see any advantage to have the cowl any higher then the engine requires it to be besides looks.  Regular Kitfox has quite a bit of room between the cowl and the engine.   Of course that is because of the round style of the cowl.  I'm really not a fan of that cowl.  I'd rather see what's ahead of me.   Actually, when I was landing the Kitfox, I would have my head almost against the door, cause I would almost be seeing past the side of the cowl.  Avids, (partly because of the inverted engine) have a much better view over the nose then the Kitfox, flying or landing.  JImChuk

Right now I'm just enjoying flying again, but I have thought about flipping the 582 on my KF IV and putting a flatter top cowl like the newer KF's have. I kind of do like the looks of the round cowl, but I like the looks of the other cowls just as well.  Who knows if I ever will do it, because there are some drawbacks to an inverted engine, but I think visibility would benefit a lot from the change.

Posted (edited)

the Kitfox curving cowl that kind of makes you think you are going crooked when you aren't, and worse yet, just the opposite.  JImChuk

I haven't made up my mind about my cowl or firewall shape yet. I was planning on just duplicating the round top. I'm going to be sitting in the middle so that's not an issue, but is a flatter topped cowl more advantageous even when sitting in the middle?

Dude i just figured out how to quote!!!!!! Sorry im real slow on a computer. Hahahahaaaaa 

I sure like the cowl my bluefox has, was told is a real earlie cowl, but havent ever cn it to much, anyone have any info on it?

Willja67 what did u do with the cowl u made to fit ur bird? U not useing that with the ???

Edited by Buckchop

Posted

Buckchop, you are right, your blue fox cowl predates the round cowl.  Supposedly Kitfox was going to use a radial engine but it didn't pan out, and they made the round cowl for that engine.  Guess they liked the looks of it so they stuck with the round cowl when they used the Rotax engine.  I do like that early cowl better as well.  JImChuk

Posted

Ahhh i c, was pretty sure u had told me that b4 but couldnt remember.  The round/bump cowl is nice but hard to c around. Ill bet they kept it cause there more room under cowl for motor accesories and odd but think same kind of story happened with Luscome? for the radial motor, and they built a bump cowl to accomidate it.  Anyways they smoother cowl is sure nicer that y didnt bother me to do a 4” extended gear leg along with wider 

Posted (edited)

Dude i just figured out how to quote!!!!!! Sorry im real slow on a computer. Hahahahaaaaa 

I sure like the cowl my bluefox has, was told is a real earlie cowl, but havent ever cn it to much, anyone have any info on it?

Willja67 what did u do with the cowl u made to fit ur bird? U not useing that with the ???

It was a good practice run. Way too many mistakes. Showed me what I needed to do different/ better for the next attempt.

Edit for the who didn't see it I started building a new cowl for my model 1

20190106_215319.jpg

Edited by Willja67

Posted

The way mine is set up, only the top front part would need to be remade for better forward view. Of course mine is the 4 piece cowling which I like better than a two piece. And one could put 2 dogs and a goat on top of the engine and not touch the top cowling. I could drop it down (cowling) 8-10". Well maybe puppies and a pygmy goat. But does provide good airflow for the engine.