Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Buyer beware

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Okay I know this is not about Avid/kitfox, but I have to tell you guys this, I sold my Rans and missed several deals on Avids/Kitfoxes ect. and finally sealed the deal on a Waga-bond, needed work but over-all was built well and I have an o-235 that will eventually go on it nicely. That's all background, here's the tale Since the Wag has unsheilded eisemann mags 50+ years old I saw a pair of real low hour 4301 slicks on barnstormers, called the guy right up and made the deal, I recieved them after much adoo with the Thanksgiving mail slowing it all down. I pulled the mags from the box and removed the plastic packing and instantly I noticed that one was noticeably different from the other the case was slightly different the finish although newish was just different. Then came the closer examination first a 7 digit serial number compare to a high numbered 8 digit, how old is this 4301???? a different data plate totally SLICK ELECTRO INC. What friggin year was that??? were 4300 series mags even made then??? a closer examination revealed an overstamped model number! this was a 4201 mag albeit low hours but still an older discontinued model. :biggun: I am pissed I'm not shocked but I've lost a little more respect for humanity.

Called slick, guy says no 4300 series have a 7 digit serial number and he can't even remember when it was called Slick Electro but his best guess was mag was made in 1980. :soapbox: I already have 50 year old mags so gee aint' it great to spend 1200.00 bucks to upgrade 20 years. :hammerhead: I really didn't think the guy I bought them from is a crook and he is supposed to refund my money as soon as I can get them back to him, he says an A/P sold those mags to him, now i can understand a non mechanical guy missing the signs but there's no way the A/P did. So anyhow the moral is you have to watch out for yourself cause no one else can be trusted. Fly safe everyone.

Posted (edited)

I am pissed I'm not shocked but I've lost a little more respect for humanity.

Feel ya there. Really blows when someone with no sense of self worth decides his/her integrity ain't worth a flip. I just happen to live next to such an a$hole who sold his soul for a $500 deductible. When it comes right down to it, you leave this life with only a couple things that only you have control over, and that is your honor and your compassion. I still have my honor but as far as compassion goes, if both those jerks choked on a turkey bone in their leftover soup I'd likely not shed a tear! Hope you get it straightened out.

Edited by dholly

Posted

Well the fella has the mags back and has them on FEEBAY now, he says he has sent me a bank check so we'll see. On a brighter note I took a jug off the lycoming I bought this summer and it's in great shape! Good thing cause I can't afford to rebuild one.

Posted

Feel ya there. Really blows when someone with no sense of self worth decides his/her integrity ain't worth a flip. I just happen to live next to such an a$hole who sold his soul for a $500 deductible. When it comes right down to it, you leave this life with only a couple things that only you have control over, and that is your honor and your compassion. I still have my honor but as far as compassion goes, if both those jerks choked on a turkey bone in their leftover soup I'd likely not shed a tear! Hope you get it straightened out.

Remind me not to have dinner with you if you're pissed! The bad thing is after a few experiences with fellow aviators like this do you trust any? I mean a bad car part or something similar is bad enough but you don't just coast to the side of the road in a malfunctioning airplane,(well not very often anyways)

Posted

Well the guy came through and was true to his word I cashed the Bank Check today, he even repaid me for the shipping, happy not to have to drive to MN to get my money! Still I'll think twice before I do any more high dollar internet deals again. Merry Christmas everyone! :)

Posted

Well the guy came through and was true to his word I cashed the Bank Check today, he even repaid me for the shipping, happy not to have to drive to MN to get my money! Still I'll think twice before I do any more high dollar internet deals again. Merry Christmas everyone! :)

I have done 10s of thousands of dollars worth of internet deals, and only got burned once early on by a guy in Hawaii over an RC engine. Was a $250 and I was a little shy after that for awhile, but now I am worse than ever about internet deals :lol:

Merry Christmas!

:BC:

Posted

I have done 10s of thousands of dollars worth of internet deals, and only got burned once early on by a guy in Hawaii over an RC engine. Was a $250 and I was a little shy after that for awhile, but now I am worse than ever about internet deals :lol:

Merry Christmas!

I'll sell you all my r/c plane stuff for 250.00 right now! I will probably do the internet thing again, someday.

Posted

I'll sell you all my r/c plane stuff for 250.00 right now! I will probably do the internet thing again, someday.

well what ya got? I have pretty much all a feller could want for RC stuff, but I am a sucker for a good deal.

Posted

well what ya got? I have pretty much all a feller could want for RC stuff, but I am a sucker for a good deal.

I'll make an inventory if you think it sounds like stuf you want the short list from memory is a complete and flying durastik with a tower hobbies .46 bb and a back-up motor os .40 that the mount is broken on one bolt hole, this has a 6 channel radio that is fm and only about 5 years old also tower hobbies brand. a project durabat that is incomplete but have the wings fuse and gear,empennage. Accessories are just alot 12vlt starter various servos glow plugs ect. also have another radio have to check it out but I think it's a 4 channel fm futaba. actually I'll take less for it cause shipping will be pricey! I haven't flown the plane or played with the T-Maxx since I got into my accident now that I have the Waga-bond and the cub project I need to let it go, would be stuff better suited for a beginner not someone already into it like you. I just hate to see it sit until it's no good. Merry Christmas fly safe!

Posted

Hmm, Gonna have to think about this one. The Durabat, while a great concept, was a flying brick! That gutter material is HEAVY.

You may consider doing what I did with alot of my older stuff. Donate it to the local RC club, or talk to them and see if there are any kids in the area that are trying to get into the hobby, but dont have the recources. I have put a smile on many kids faces over the years by giving them RC stuff ready to go that I knew I would never use any more. Since I have gone to pretty much all Gas or Electric, I am giving away 2 cases of fuel to a couple local kids who love the hobby, but the parents done have the ability to get them as much fuel as they would like to burn.

I have also donated tons of stuff to the local club for things such as door prizes for taking the time to show up for the monthly club meetings, and prizes for club fun fly events to get more participation. It does not do anything for the ole pocket book, but it does help further the hobby. I know for damn sure that I would not have had the bug so bad to get into GA if I had not been such a model airplane freak (thanks Dad!). For the most part, RC Models kept me out of trouble with the law because I was too busy and spent every dime I had on airplanes instead of parties!

On the other hand, if I had not been so far into the modeling, I could have bought a very nice 180 by now :lol:

Posted

Flying brick is about right, but the gutter stuff is cheap and uh.. durable HAHA! everytime I pick the thing up I'm amazed it can get off the ground at all. I'll find some one who will enjoy it, thanks for the idea!

Posted

I've stuffed a Sturdy Birdy before! Same concept as the durabat but with a little larger wing. Leni is right about the donation stuff. This hobby has came so far in technology that I know most of my stuff is outdated except my Heli stuff that I just got into. A lot of fields won't even let you in unless your running a 2.4GHZ radio now and everyone is so Sue happy that it's not wise to fly on your own in an empty field anymore. Between my Dad and I we have a mountain of stuff from the Late 90's. I'm going to convert one plane over to 2.4GHZ and then get rid of the rest of it.