Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tail wheel ski

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I received my tail ski today. Hope to have it mounted by tomorrow. I will try to get some pictures. Just got 7" of snow today, more to come later in the week.Can't wait to try it. It looks like it should work pretty good. Leni, Brett said yours was ready too. You should be getting it any time.

Posted

I received my tail ski today. Hope to have it mounted by tomorrow. I will try to get some pictures. Just got 7" of snow today, more to come later in the week.Can't wait to try it. It looks like it should work pretty good. Leni, Brett said yours was ready too. You should be getting it any time.

I just looked and he charged my card so it must be on the way. I should have a chance to test it out around the 4th !

Give us an update on how she works for you, and maybe a pic or two of the install so I know what I am looking at for how it mounts on the matco tail wheel.

:BC:

Posted

I don't even have my skis on, yet. Been spending all my time on the project plane.

Here's the prototype from last winter...

post-36-12929049316393_thumb.jpg

post-36-12929049478841_thumb.jpg

Posted

Got my tail ski installed yesterday and flew 2 hrs today. Seems to work great. Landed in plowed corn stuble with no problem. With out it my tail wheel would sink to the plowing and beat up my tail section. Tried knee deep snow with no problem. Well worth the money.

post-56-12930603649661_thumb.jpg

post-56-12930604374616_thumb.jpg

post-56-12930605019471_thumb.jpg

Posted

Looks good, Mark. Have fun with it!

Posted

Sweet! Looks like a quick easy install! Should be giving mine a try around the 7th!

Posted

Have 10 days off starting tomorrow. Hope to do as much flying as I can. Snow conditions here are super again this year. If the weather holds I should be able to put a few hours on my new ski. Sure seems to work good so far, and the installation was super simple. Also hope to get a little late season bow hunting in. If you guys are interested I ordered a new camo suit this week,it is bibs,coat and gloves. Wanted it for hunting ,fishing and winter flying. It is called Artic Armor. It has 3 layers of Insultex,it is windproof, waterproof,and buoyant. I tried it tonight bow hunting and it seemed to work good. I will get to use it more next week. One other thing is that it is light weight and not real bulky,and you are not suppose to need anything but fleece underneath it. I am hoping it will work for flying to. Right now I use Carhart bibs and coat. That suit gets real bulky while flying. The Artic Armor suit also comes in other colors. Another good selling point is it is buoyant. Learned my lesson this fall while duck hunting a local river in my kayak loaded full of duck hunting gear. Tried floating under a dead fall across the river with a gun on my lap, backpack between my legs and decoys behind my seat with hip boots on under a rain suit. Every thing I did that morning was wrong. Well any way I rolled it and went under, scared the shit out of me. Lost my back pack full of gear, dropped my gun in the river, did geat that back after diving for it 3 times, wrecked my phone ect. So this new cold weather suit could be worth it for anybody living in a cold weather area that likes to fly, fish, hunt, snowmobile, ect.

Merry Christmas,

Mark

Posted

Damn Mark, that sounds like one of my hunts. Seems that every hunt turns to an adventure :lol:

I will have to check out that suit. I really like the buoyant part! My Klim snow gear and fleece is good to very low temps, but it wont float me and I have lots of open water to cross when I head up to the lodge.

Thanks for the tip!

Posted

Mark-- Where did you get that suit? My Carhart coat (much less add in the bibs, too) is so bulky... I can't hardly move once in the plane!

Posted

Mark-- Where did you get that suit? My Carhart coat (much less add in the bibs, too) is so bulky... I can't hardly move once in the plane!

I did a quick google on it and found it here. There were a list of others, but this one was on the top :lol:

Arctic Armor

Posted

Looks like the GPS coordinates that I gave Santa got him to my house! Now I hope to get enough new snow to give it a good test next week!

post-2-12933972393504_thumb.jpg

post-2-12933972521756_thumb.jpg

Thanks Brett!

Posted (edited)

Looks like the GPS coordinates that I gave Santa got him to my house! Now I hope to get enough new snow to give it a good test next week!

post-2-12933972393504_thumb.jpg

post-2-12933972521756_thumb.jpg

Thanks Brett!

I have about 4 hrs on my tail ski now. It is working great. Tried it in knee deep snow today with no trouble. Wore my Artic Armor while flying, that to worked great. The outside temps were about 12 degree's. I think that to is going to be a good investment. I ordered the suit from Reed's in Walker Mn. They seem to sell alot of the suits and can size you up over the phone.

Edited by Bandit

Posted

Some assembly required, Leni. Now:

GET ON IT!!

Posted

I will drop the parts off to the local powder coater's before I head out for our normal snowmachine trip for new years, then I will "get it on" around the 3rd and hope for new snow on the 6th!

:BC: :BC: < Double chug for the new years!