Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

582 Exhaust

4 posts in this topic

Posted

On my Skyraider the muffler exits out the side so it is exposed.I wanted to at least paint it but was wondering how hot the muffler itself gets.I know the Y pipe gets really hot but not sure how hot the muffler gets.Would engine paint work or does it need to be header paint.Engine paint says its good for 800 degrees and exhaust paint says its good for 1200.Engine paint looks nice and header paint looks like its already rusted.Thanks Randy

Posted

Best bet would be to ceramic coat it, exhaust temps will be too high for engine paint and header paint is marginal. Or if you are cheap like alot of us just keep a can of header paint in the hanger and keep re doing it.

Posted

Before I sold my Rans with a 503 I used VHT ceramic based paint on the exhaust after bead blasting and using the VHT primer as well, it looked nice after about 10-12 hrs,then i sold it. There is a specific burn in procedure and it has to be followed or the paint won't cure right. The stuff sure looked nice, proper prep and burn in are the keys to it lasting, try it out.

Posted

Before I sold my Rans with a 503 I used VHT ceramic based paint on the exhaust after bead blasting and using the VHT primer as well, it looked nice after about 10-12 hrs,then i sold it. There is a specific burn in procedure and it has to be followed or the paint won't cure right. The stuff sure looked nice, proper prep and burn in are the keys to it lasting, try it out.

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl,if it doesnt work then maybe ceramic coat the thing. Randy