Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wing Tank Repair

28 posts in this topic

Posted

I see now how you did it. GREAT idea and I wish I would have seen this over on the yahoo site before I had a buddy order new tanks for his kitfox. This would have been a very easy fix for him. Oh well, whats another grand for new tanks when its not your money :lol:

As far as posting pics, you should not have to host them anywhere, they upload to the server for this site. I have it set to unlimited upload space but a max of 24 mb per pic or attachment. If you are getting some sort of error when you click the "click to attach files button" let me know what it is saying and I will see if I can track down the problem.

:BC:

I'm trying to upload some pictures. Here goes. Any questions just ask!

Chris

post-258-12992583701483_thumb.jpg

post-258-12992583821273_thumb.jpg

post-258-12992584015408_thumb.jpg

post-258-12992584129497_thumb.jpg

post-258-12992584211364_thumb.jpg

post-258-12992584298721_thumb.jpg

post-258-12992584419499_thumb.jpg

Thanks for putting this up Chris. My Kitfox IV after 20 years of dependable service just developed a fuel leak. Also getting some bubbles in the Aerothane on the top of the floats that I understand is due to ethanol seeping through the fiberglass. I was going to use Caswell sealer on them, but I think even the small 6 gal tanks have baffles in them.  Do you know. Looks like the larger tank has fuel bays with no baffles at all.  

Also, with the Kitfox the fuel tanks are part of the wing structure.  I am not sure I could mount an access panel in them and still maintain the structural integrity of the wing.

Any comments welcome and appreciated.

Gary

Posted (edited)

The leak is probably at the wing root of the rear spar. If you cut a hole in that bay first you probably wont have to go through cutting holes in every bay. I would use grey pro seal polysulfide sealer to cover the crack and pink proseal for the lid. It will not weaken the tank or wing structure.

Edited by ChrisBolkan