Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What the heck is this ?

9 posts in this topic

Posted

The header tank fuel level warning lights has been intermittent so I finally got around to draining the tanks and removed the sensor. This is what I found.  Attached are pics of mine and the same part as new.

The substance is like a very hard gummy plastic. And it will burn like hard nitrate dope. Carb cleaner will not soften or dissolve it.

I have my ideas of what and why but I am looking for opinions.

207_031_JPGa40e2ae29aed9e710fe6c706a149e

209_sensor_jpg8615732c1a6781cc44f01ac96b

Posted

dont tell me you think it is gas soaked moose poop!  I have no idea on that...maybe kreem?  I no be knowin..

Posted

ok your killin me.... what do you think it is??  I know what it could have been had you not found it before the pilot cooling fan quit !!  :shitfan:

:beerchug: < to finding things wrong before they find you

Posted

Ok..

My plane sat for a few years in a (good) hanger before I got it, and it  had been left with autofuel in the tank. (the owner had died) In time the gas had evaporated., no doubt leaving gum and varnish on the walls of the tanks.

I flushed the tanks numerous times hoping to remove any loose crap from the tanks after I purchased the plane, but I've heard that the gum andor varnish will stay on the walls and bottom the tanks until fresh gas, and time, allows the stuff to dissolve and circulate in the system and then cling to certain materials andor objects.....such as the low fuel probe in the header tank.

All this is speculation on my part, and I claim no expertiese on the actual cause.

Posted

Looks just like the crap I got our of my tanks wheni bought my plane . It had been sitting in Dallas Ft Worth for 3 years not flying full of gas or should i say full of gummy used to be gas . When we steamed the tanks out there was still a residue that even MEK would not take off very easy. The tank outlet finger strainers were ruined and not cleanable . I say it is just varnish from crappy gasoline .

Just my opinion and we all know what opinions are like .

:2cent:

Posted

Looks just like the crap I got our of my tanks wheni bought my plane . It had been sitting in Dallas Ft Worth for 3 years not flying full of gas or should i say full of gummy used to be gas . When we steamed the tanks out there was still a residue that even MEK would not take off very easy. The tank outlet finger strainers were ruined and not cleanable . I say it is just varnish from crappy gasoline .

Just my opinion and we all know what opinions are like .

:2cent:

Oh oh oh I know i know, pick me... they are like assholes, and on this forum I am one :lol:

Posted

"The search for truth implies a duty. One must not conceal any part of what one has recognized to be true."

Albert Einstein

When in doubt, tell the truth. --Mark Twain

Mark Twain

The Flyin Philosopher....

who is going flyn now cus MY engine starts.

Posted

:2cent::biggun::banghead::soapbox::hammerhead::nutkick:

OK just my opinion and yeah you a asshole HEHEHEHEHE :siterocks:

Posted

"The search for truth implies a duty. One must not conceal any part of what one has recognized to be true."

Albert Einstein

When in doubt, tell the truth. --Mark Twain

Mark Twain

The Flyin Philosopher....

who is going flyn now cus MY engine starts.

Tell the truth...damn you cant be married....