Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Pioneer Airport

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Is anyone planning on going to this event?

Pioneer Airport Ski-In

Posted

looks like a good time but a lil far for me to fly :lol:

:BC:

Posted

I'm sorry to report that the mission has been scrubbed.

High temps are forecast to be 5° on Saturday, so the guys I was going with are backing out. We are used to the cold but not to the extent you guys in AK are. Very few people down here have "portable" preheating or bush equipment...

Posted

I'm sorry to report that the mission has been scrubbed.

High temps are forecast to be 5° on Saturday, so the guys I was going with are backing out. We are used to the cold but not to the extent you guys in AK are. Very few people down here have "portable" preheating or bush equipment...

That sucks, I hate scrubbed missions! I need to get some pics up of my preheater. Now that I got the tubes cut to length she pimps out the heat good! Takes about 20 minutes to go from a gear box oil that will barely allow you to turn the prop with both hands to free wheeling with one finger.

Hope you can put a fly in together soon, skis are a blast!

:BC:

Posted

We're trying to plan a makeup ski fly (out?) for the following Saturday the 29th. One of our club members who doesn't fly his Pterodactyl during the winter has a fishing shack on a lake a little bit away... He's always looking for visitors!

Posted

That sucks, I hate scrubbed missions! I need to get some pics up of my preheater. Now that I got the tubes cut to length she pimps out the heat good! Takes about 20 minutes to go from a gear box oil that will barely allow you to turn the prop with both hands to free wheeling with one finger.

Hope you can put a fly in together soon, skis are a blast!

BC.gif

I think I have all the parts to duplicate your pre-heater Leni, I couldn't believe Sportsmans Warehouse didn't have any white gas stoves with the remote bottle like the MSR's; had a half a dozen brands that take the butane/propane canisters. I guess they don't expect you to need them at 0 or below. Jack found a place with the 50cal. ammo cans at The Ammo Can (figures)wink.gif . Just need to get some time in the shop to put it together. That thing works like a champ. flamegun.gif

Posted

I think I have all the parts to duplicate your pre-heater Leni, I couldn't believe Sportsmans Warehouse didn't have any white gas stoves with the remote bottle like the MSR's; had a half a dozen brands that take the butane/propane canisters. I guess they don't expect you to need them at 0 or below. Jack found a place with the 50cal. ammo cans at The Ammo Can (figures)wink.gif . Just need to get some time in the shop to put it together. That thing works like a champ. flamegun.gif

You are gonna have to get off your wallet for that stove.... I paid 150.00 for mine in Soldotna. I searched the internet and found one for 138.00 but after shipping it was more than buying local. REI will have them in stock, and I think they may be a few bucks cheaper than what I paid. Get the biggest one you can, you can always turn it down if need be.

MSR XGK EX Stove at REI