Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mag Check

10 posts in this topic

Posted

I started my 582 for the first time today on my Skyraider build.It fired right up and seemed to run good, only idled it. It will run when the switch is on "both"or "left" but when I pass through the "right" pole it kills the engine.So if I do a mag check it dies out on the right.Do you have to have it at a higher RPM, I was only about 1500.Didnt have the prop on so I didnt want to rev any higher.Checked the switch with a ohm meter and its all good.Didnt really want to check anything else until I talked to someone who knows these ignition systems.This is my first Rotax 2 stroke so dont want to screw something up.They must have two triggers for a dual ignition but dont know that.Any help would be appreciated.I may be ducking before anyone is swinging. Thats Randy

Posted

I started my 582 for the first time today on my Skyraider build.It fired right up and seemed to run good, only idled it. It will run when the switch is on "both"or "left" but when I pass through the "right" pole it kills the engine.So if I do a mag check it dies out on the right.Do you have to have it at a higher RPM, I was only about 1500.Didnt have the prop on so I didnt want to rev any higher.Checked the switch with a ohm meter and its all good.Didnt really want to check anything else until I talked to someone who knows these ignition systems.This is my first Rotax 2 stroke so dont want to screw something up.They must have two triggers for a dual ignition but dont know that.Any help would be appreciated.I may be ducking before anyone is swinging. Thats Randy

there are two triggers inside the case. First off, I would swap the leads going into the coils and see if the same happens or if they swap on which one kills the engine. It sounds like something is grounding out. For what it is worth, mine did the same thing after it was sitting for a few years under a tarp. Cleaning the connections up and putting new caps on cured my issue.

:BC:

Posted

there are two triggers inside the case. First off, I would swap the leads going into the coils and see if the same happens or if they swap on which one kills the engine. It sounds like something is grounding out. For what it is worth, mine did the same thing after it was sitting for a few years under a tarp. Cleaning the connections up and putting new caps on cured my issue.

I did use resistor style spark plugs and also have the 5000ohm caps, can you use these together or is this maybe where I screwed up. Thats the first thing that Im going to check tomorrow.

Posted

I did use resistor style spark plugs and also have the 5000ohm caps, can you use these together or is this maybe where I screwed up. Thats the first thing that Im going to check tomorrow.

I use both (the same setup you have). What are they gaped at?

Posted

I use both (the same setup you have). What are they gaped at?

I set them at .020,thats what the guy had written on the heads.That sure seems tight most outboards I work on are .040 I have company this weekend but after they are gone I'll do some testing on the triggers and CD boxes. Thanks Randy

Posted

I set them at .020,thats what the guy had written on the heads.That sure seems tight most outboards I work on are .040 I have company this weekend but after they are gone I'll do some testing on the triggers and CD boxes. Thanks Randy

The ducatti ignition dont like big gaps. .016" to .018" max. I run mine at .016" and she likes it.

Posted

The ducatti ignition dont like big gaps. .016" to .018" max. I run mine at .016" and she likes it.

I'll try that. Thanks

Posted

I found problem,broken trigger wire at bullit connector.It was still connected by the outer sheathing but was broken clear off on the inside.I put a new connector on and put shrink tubing over the whole connector so it should be fine.Gets spark now on both mags,Im still going to change the plug gap to .016 and start from there.Seems like they would have a special tight gap plug so the plug strap wouldnt be at such an angle.You really have to bend her down to get the gap you need.Thanks Randy

Posted

Mine starts a lot better with at the narrow end of the spark plug gap. I run .016 also an BR8ES plugs.

Posted

I found problem,broken trigger wire at bullit connector.It was still connected by the outer sheathing but was broken clear off on the inside.I put a new connector on and put shrink tubing over the whole connector so it should be fine.Gets spark now on both mags,Im still going to change the plug gap to .016 and start from there.Seems like they would have a special tight gap plug so the plug strap wouldnt be at such an angle.You really have to bend her down to get the gap you need.Thanks Randy

If you tap that plug strap down with the feeler gauge in it, it will be flat and not bent over. It took me a few trys at gapping the plaugs to get them good and flush across the electrode face. My lil 4 oz hammer works great and I hold the plug in my hand to cushion the blow so it does not crack the insulation.