Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Snowmobiles

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I know there are a lot of snowmobilers (snowmachiners?) on this board.

I sold off my sleds back in about 2000. My last machines were two little '97 Polaris 440s. They were light and fun. Unfortunately, where I lived I got very little use out of them without hauling them on the trailer first. So they went away.

Where I live now, we are in better snow country and right near the trail. I'm thinking of making the plunge again.

Here's the deal:

I don't need to go 100 mph.

I don't like to spend a lot of money.

I don't like 2-strokes. (Sorry, I know that's a sin around here.)

What do you guys know about the early 4-stroke sleds? The early to mid 2000's sleds. I know Yamaha is (was?) the benchmark in that arena. The new BRP-SkiDoo machines are probably better, but at $10K + each that is way too much for my blood. I'd like to start researching now and look for one to buy this or next summer...

Thoughts, comments?

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

I sold off my sleds back in about 2000. My last machines were two little '97 Polaris 440s. They were light and fun. Unfortunately, where I lived I got very little use out of them without hauling them on the trailer first. So they went away.

Where I live now, we are in better snow country and right near the trail. I'm thinking of making the plunge again.

Here's the deal:

What do you guys know about the early 4-stroke sleds? The early to mid 2000's sleds. I know Yamaha is (was?) the benchmark in that arena. The new BRP-SkiDoo machines are probably better, but at $10K + each that is way too much for my blood. I'd like to start researching now and look for one to buy this or next summer...

Thoughts, comments?

What is your mission??? If you are just pounding trails, then the early yamadog 4 strokes will do you just fine. The first time you take it off the trail and get it stuck, you will be re-thinking your 4 stroke purchase. A buddy has an 010 Nytro and it is a blast on the trails, but one run boondocking and I decided that I hated it.

If your into touring around, one of the most comfortable sleds I have ridden in a long time is the new Arctic Cat bear cat. I have ridden them with the ole 570 fan and the 660 turbo 4 stroke. Both are about equal in speed but are VERY comfortable to ride. In fact, when we did demo rides last year on all the new A Cat sleds, my favorite was the bear cat. It is like taking your favorite over stuffed EZ chair out for a ride. It has some really cool modules you can plug into the back rack too for things like ice fishing or carring your chainsaw etc. Look for an 09 or newer. I bet you can pick up an 09 lightly used for around 5-6 grand. I just picked up some property out by the Lodge we have been flying out to (on the opposite end of the lake) and I have my eye out for a bear cat now for hauling supplies in. That thing will pull one hell of a load!

I know that you wont like this one, but the 2 strokes have come a long ways from the old days when you were riding them. Fuel injection took out 99% of the bad stuff that happened to the 2 strokes with improper jetting etc.

:BC:

Posted

Here's the deal:

Thoughts, comments?

I kind of got out of the loop on the snowmobiles but I know alot of the Snowcatters around here like the direct injection 2 strokes.Its the best of both worlds.They say they are more reliable than the 4 strokes and just as efficent.No smoke,easy start up and haul ass to boot.I sell Nissan outboard motors and their big motors are direct injected 2 strokes and have been bullit proof.Even though they burn oil its just as cheap as a 4 stroke as you have to change crankcase oil on a steady basis so the cost is almost a wash.The fuel is injected straight into the cylinder head like a four stroke,only the oil is injcted in the crankcase so you have a very clean burn.But on the other hand there is a lot of good 4 stroke machines out there also.The Alaska boys would probably know exactlly what would work best for your application. Randy

Posted

What is your mission???

65% trails, 20% lakes, 15% my property (utility).

My business partner has a 2009 E-Tec 600 SkiDoo. Yes, very nice machine. Too much money for my cheap nature...

Posted (edited)

My business partner has a 2009 E-Tec 600 SkiDoo. Yes, very nice machine. Too much money for my cheap nature...

Take a look at the polaris FST models, 4 stroke about 160hp touring sled, it is also becoming a pretty popular conversion for aircraft use. the engine weighs about the same as a 582 that way if you wreck the sled you have another use for the motor, the mid 2000's are selling for around $5,000 in the upper midwest with low miles. Take a look here for aircraft conversion http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24931&highlight=weber

Edited by Trackwelder

Posted

hmm, your not gonna like my recomendations LOL.

Ebay has a 09 bearcat for 5 something, but it is the 570 fan.. very nice rig, would fit your bill well. Its only good for about 70-75 MPH but hauls a ton.

I am VERY partial to any of the newer rider forward sleds. I LOVE my crossfire, but again, it is a 2 stroke. The Doos are a little too rider forward for my taste. I have an 02 ZR 600 CC that is dialed in on the shock valving (it has been over the Irondog Trail and back) and rides super smooth on the trails, but it is the old style sit down seating and in about 10 minutes my back and knees are killing me.

Pretty much any sled from 06 on has the more rider forward seating. It may cost you an extra couple grand, but it will be the difference between you not wanting to stop riding and you not looking forward to getting on the damn thing.

I stay away from anything polaris. There track record is very crappy for the last 10 yrs or so with only about 1 or 2% of them being able to make the Iron Dog finnish line. They have just not held up, and a buddy of mine who is a multi time winner, and DIE HARD polaris fan decided to retire because he could not get the Polaris to hold together and he would not race any other brand. Easy trail riding they may be OK, but I dont ride easy so I like stuff that has a proven record for holding together.

http://madison.craig...2200084653.html

What kind of budget you looking at for this sled??

BC.gif

Posted

Update: I went for about a 100 mile ride last night with my business partner on one of his sleds, a 2005 Skidoo Renegade 600.

What the f**k is up with these stupid "rider forward" design sleds?? Without a doubt that was the most uncomfortable riding position I have ever experienced!! My knees and back are destroyed today! I never felt this beat up on my little Polaris sleds!

Are all the new sleds like this?? Maybe I need to look for 10 year old sleds instead...

Posted

Update: I went for about a 100 mile ride last night with my business partner on one of his sleds, a 2005 Skidoo Renegade 600.

What the f**k is up with these stupid "rider forward" design sleds?? Without a doubt that was the most uncomfortable riding position I have ever experienced!! My knees and back are destroyed today! I never felt this beat up on my little Polaris sleds!

Are all the new sleds like this?? Maybe I need to look for 10 year old sleds instead...

I thought the very same thing when I rode the rev chassis at first. yes, all the new sleds are rider forward. Get a set of motocross knee and shin guards for 20 bucks and you will love it after the 3rd or 4th ride. It take a little getting used to, but it is MUCH more ergonomic. The REV is the most rider forward of the bunch. I simply hated it the first time I rode it in 04 (and it was an 05 renegade 600). After 3 days of running the river in Fairbanks testing shock set ups for the irondog race we had that chassis DIALED in and smoking! First year skidoos ever won the race! The arctic cat Crossfire is not as rider forward as the doos, and more reliable than the poos so I have stuck with it since 06.

Dont give up on that chassis yet till you ride it with the shin guards. once you learn how to set on it and ride it, you will find the knees dont hurt cause you can stand right up when you hit the bumps. Your arms dont hurt because you dont have to pull yourself up to stand up, your legs are already right under you. Foot placement is critical, and it wont take you long to figure it out.

I have a ZR cross country that has the shocks dialed in perfect as that chassis will ride, and I cant stand to ride it for more than about 10 minutes cause my lower back and knees are killing me from trying to get all contourted to stand up.. and that is the same basic chassis as the old poo you are used to riding.

Posted

Another thought... if it is an 05, has he had the shocks rebuilt? The stock shock valving SUCKS on all the sleds now days, especially if it is a "race" model. They are set up so stiff that you cant bottom them out if you hucked it off a 200' jump. If he wants to have the best riding renegade in the states, have him get ahold of me and send his shocks up here for a lil magic work. Wagonmaster on here is the MAN for the shocks on that chassis. I think we put on 4500 miles doing shock testing to get the perfect cushy ride on that chassis. If you cant ride in 1' stutter bumps at 60 mph with one hand in your lap, then the shocks are not doing what they should. Mark can give you all the set up tips for that sled that will make it absolutely night and day difference in the overall ride and handling. You looking at 200 bucks plus what ever valves are needed to revalve it, but you wont think it is the same sled when you ride it!

Posted

I ride 1000 miles/day on my HD. I have highway pegs that place my feet in front of me. Very comfortable. That is how my old Polaris sleds were. Never had back/knee pain after riding.

I don't think it's the suspension. I think it is the body position...

Posted

Bump.

Still looking and thinking.

Remember, I don't live in Alaska. I don't ride for 1000s of miles and never see a trail. All we ride here is trails and lakes. Deep snow (in the UP of Michigan or Superior snow belt) is 4-5' deep, otherwise groomed (or not) trails.

I really want a 4-stroke. I've been seeing more of the '05 and later RX1 Yamahas out there getting more reasonable in price. What does anyone know about these sleds? Good, bad, ugly???

Posted

Bump.

Still looking and thinking.

Remember, I don't live in Alaska. I don't ride for 1000s of miles and never see a trail. All we ride here is trails and lakes. Deep snow (in the UP of Michigan or Superior snow belt) is 4-5' deep, otherwise groomed (or not) trails.

I really want a 4-stroke. I've been seeing more of the '05 and later RX1 Yamahas out there getting more reasonable in price. What does anyone know about these sleds? Good, bad, ugly???

They ride nice on groomed trails! Down side is, you get it stuck, you better call a tow truck :lol: They get good mileage and are pretty comfy, but as with any sled, you need to do a little shock work to really make them ride the best that they can. If you do get one let me know, I got a good buddy who has a killer valve stack for that sled that really makes it ride nice!