Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Montana Coyote???

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Newbie here… have been reading in stealth mode for a bit, but also am trying to find information/specs on what I believe was call the Montana Coyote – if memory serves it was sort of a Avid/Kitfox on steroids... was kitted (I think) briefly, probably 12-15 years back, maybe as early as the early 90s…

I’m starting on a Raven (sort of sick-built Avid A/B), but in my case upsized just a tad here and there, to help contain the geriatric girth of its upsized pilot… hence the Montana Coyote thoughts – as I recall it was essentially built like the Avid/Kitfox, just about 10-15% larger…

Anyone recall the Montana Coyote – or know of any links to general information…

Thanks…

-- Larry

Virginia, USA

Posted

Newbie here… have been reading in stealth mode for a bit, but also am trying to find information/specs on what I believe was call the Montana Coyote – if memory serves it was sort of a Avid/Kitfox on steroids... was kitted (I think) briefly, probably 12-15 years back, maybe as early as the early 90s…

I’m starting on a Raven (sort of sick-built Avid A/B), but in my case upsized just a tad here and there, to help contain the geriatric girth of its upsized pilot… hence the Montana Coyote thoughts – as I recall it was essentially built like the Avid/Kitfox, just about 10-15% larger…

Thanks…

-- Larry

Virginia, USA

Not for sure but I think it was just an early version of the Avid Magnum,I believe you could put an 0-320 in them.Should be able to call Airdale and get the history behind it even though it was owned by someone else.Randy

Posted

Not for sure but I think it was just an early version of the Avid Magnum,I believe you could put an 0-320 in them.Should be able to call Airdale and get the history behind it even though it was owned by someone else.Randy

OK appreciate it… that fits… I know the Coyote was a slightly larger bird and took (as I recall) conventional aircraft power rather than the lighter 2-cycles… but I thought it had died, and didn’t realize it had morphed into a successful model…

Thanks, those specs seem reasonably available (I’m primarily looking for the structural parameters – spar, etc., which I assume would probably be the 0.083 wall 6061-T6 and the like…)

-- Larry

Posted

It was a Magnum that the builder, who also worked for Avid, was extremely careful on keeping weight off of. The Magnum has been orphaned along with the catalina, now that is one plane I would like to find plans for or even an unbuilt kit, oh well, if my back ever recovers enough to return to work until then I will keep working on my Avid.

Posted

Don't know if the emails are valid or not but found a couple owners on the Homebuilt site

http://www.homebuilt.org/directory/montana.html

Thanks, good grief they’re putting some serious horsepower in those rascals… My project is a tad less aggressive but am using the Riblett airfoil…

I caught you’re a C-5 Flight Engineer… Another young guy and I were the two mass-properties analysts on the TF-39’s low-speed fan, back in `66-67 during GE’s proof of concept phase – in the slide-rule era -- before that big beastie got built… long, long ago in a Galaxy far, far away…

Thanks for the Coyote info…

-- Larry

Posted

Larry-- Did you by chance know an engineer at GE named Bob (Robert) Payzer?

Posted

I think there was one for sale on Barnstormers.

Posted

Larry-- Did you by chance know an engineer at GE named Bob (Robert) Payzer?

I regret, I did not… we had very little direct contact with the professional engineers… that was in the pre-CADD, pre-PC, pre-almost-everything era. The engineers and draftsmen worked fairly closely, then the prints came to a large florescent-lit room full of snot-nosed kids sitting at grey metal desks (pre-cubical era as well) who had demonstrated some proclivity for trigonometry fundamentals -- who then took the prints and cranked out masses, centers of gravity, polar moments and the like – I still have my GE “Weight Handbook…â€

I was always amazed when the finished engine came out with tolerance to our calculations… In the GE hierarchy of the day, the professional engineers were a class of nobility several strata above our pay-grade…

Good days -- exciting... got to watch the SST engine run on augmenter a couple of times -- raw power (even through yards of concrete the whole place rumbled and the racoon tail carred for what seemed like a football field, well not quite...)

-- Larry

Posted

Okay. I knew that was a long shot, GE is a huge organization...

We just lost a long time member of our EAA Chapter that I (very regrettably) didn't get to know well, Bob Payzer. Very brilliant man with an extremely interesting work history with GE in their Gas Turbine Engineering area. He'll be greatly missed.

Posted

Thanks…

-- Larry

Virginia, USA

Posted

I built and fly a Mt Coyote. I may be able to answer any questions.

Jim Salmon, Idaho

Posted

I built and fly a Mt Coyote. I may be able to answer any questions.

Jim Salmon, Idaho

Was the Montana Coyote a scratch build plans airplane or kit only? If there were plans are there any plans sets still around to buy?

Posted (edited)

Was the Montana Coyote a scratch build plans airplane or kit only? If there were plans are there any plans sets still around to buy?

The Magnum builders' manual certainly won't help you build from scratch. They don't even describe parts for assembly - just give you part numbers. Not anywhere as detailed as the early manuals, where they show you photos, drawings, and instructions on how to make the part yourself.

I think you will extend your build time about ten-fold if going scratch. If you want to fly, then buy the Magnum kit and modify it as you build.

"Scratch-builder", ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Hello.

Newbie here. Hope to start work on finishing a Montana Coyote kit when I get the barn finished after putting the fence up after....soon, anyway.

I bought a partial kit from an estate. Owner had attended the factory and had the fuselage etc. built on jigs. The kit is on the original 51 percent kit approved list but isn't on the new list, anyone know why? I believe the company went bankrupt in 1980s. The literature I have seen indicates it was a kit, my documents don't have plans.

I think they advertised a gross of 1800 pounds. I had a friend in the aircraft salvage/repair business look at it, he was very familiar with steel construction. He said it appeared well built and sturdy. It has a huge baggage door for a part of a moose. Mine came with a 150hp Lycoming.

Sadly, it looks like the manuals only go up to the wings and don't detail the flight controls and how they relate to the folding mechanism.

The construction looks like the Magnum from pictures I have seen. I vaguely remember magazine articles that the designer was in the Idaho area and worked around the Avid and Kitfox designers. They all seem very similar.

MtCoyote, what type of aileron/flap system do you have? Did you use the original fuel tanks and are they holding up to alcohol? Thanks, Skip

Posted (edited)

Hello.

Newbie here. Hope to start work on finishing a Montana Coyote kit when I get the barn finished after putting the fence up after....soon, anyway.

The kit is on the original 51 percent kit approved list but isn't on the new list, anyone know why? I believe the company went bankrupt in 1980s.

I think the FAA reviews each kit periodicly for 51% ruling. The list may not include kits that are no longer sold.

Ask the EAA and FAA about your kit. However, if you only have a partial kit, such as the fuselage, and have to build the rest from materials provided, you may be OK if you do the long form (AC-????G) and prove you, or amateur builders, did at least 51% of the required tasks, just like scratch-builders do. You are also required to keep a builder's log, and (I think) a photo record. At least that is what I do, and it may be of use to you later on for a reference to parts of your plane, or if you sell it.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

On the kit list question, EAA didn't know but said it should still qualify.

FAA said no problem, but sometimes you get different government answers-ever call the IRS for answers?

Does anyone have drawing of the controls? Thank you.

Posted (edited)

On the kit list question, EAA didn't know but said it should still qualify.

FAA said no problem, but sometimes you get different government answers-ever call the IRS for answers?

Does anyone have drawing of the controls? Thank you.

I have an early Magnum builders manual. Tell me which control parts you are asking about, and I will see what is in the book, and copy if it will help you. I am a dinosauer at puters - so send me a private email with your address and I will copy the pages you need and mail them to you at no charge. If you dont know how to send message thru this site, I can tell you how.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri