Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Maybe Spring

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Getting a little closer on the old Skyraider build, have to paint a couple more things and do some rigging and probably a million other things but shes getting closer.Hoping for a DAR inspection by mid April,and maybe in the air shortly after. Randy

post-104-12995424882304_thumb.jpg

post-104-12995426225185_thumb.jpg

post-104-12995432554273_thumb.jpg

Posted

Hi Randy.

That's nicely done, and looks good. But I'd like to indicate a possible problem with the fit of the cowl around the air filter.

During your test runs, up to full power, watch for creasing on the top and bottom of the filter, caused by the cowl and rocking of the engine in it's mounts. This will lead to cracking of the carb boots, which is really bad for the engine. This rocking contact with the cowl may be especially noticeable with a rough idle.

More trimming might be necessary.

Dave

Posted

Hi Randy.

That's nicely done, and looks good. But I'd like to indicate a possible problem with the fit of the cowl around the air filter.

During your test runs, up to full power, watch for creasing on the top and bottom of the filter, caused by the cowl and rocking of the engine in it's mounts. This will lead to cracking of the carb boots, which is really bad for the engine. This rocking contact with the cowl may be especially noticeable with a rough idle.

More trimming might be necessary.

Dave

I was kind of wondering about that,I had plenty and I ended up raising my engine a 1/4 inch so it made it a little closer than I wanted.I'll watch it close when I static run it and trim more off if need be.Thanks,that is why this forum is so valuable. Randy

Posted

Glad to bring it up, Randy. Just trying to head off a problem. A friends P40 had the same issue, and we're having to replace those 'expensive' boots, and trim out more.

Dave

Posted

It is looking good Randy! I'll bet you are getting excited. My build seemed to take forever and then all of a sudden there wasn't anything left to do.

Your work looks very good. It is hard to judge the amount of clearance you need to allow for the parts to move and flex. My 582 in my Avid shook quite a bit at a low idle and seemed to want to 4 stroke unless I kept a little throttle on. It also wanted to shake qute a bit a shut down so you will need a bit of clearance around the air filter and exhaust to keep them from hitting the cowl. I don't think 1/2 inch all around would be any too much.

Keep up the posts.

Posted

Randy,

Looking at your plane again; I thought the Skyraiders were single seat but is it a two place tandum? What is your GW?

I flew mine the same day I had the DAR inspection. I had a couple of hours on it prior running it up and down the runway so I felt ready to go. If you do the static breakin run procedure on your engine and do taxi runs untill you are comfortable with the ground handling, you should be good to go as soon as you take care of any items the DAR identifies. From the looks of your work, that should be minimal.

Posted

Randy,

Looking at your plane again; I thought the Skyraiders were single seat but is it a two place tandum? What is your GW?

I flew mine the same day I had the DAR inspection. I had a couple of hours on it prior running it up and down the runway so I felt ready to go. If you do the static breakin run procedure on your engine and do taxi runs untill you are comfortable with the ground handling, you should be good to go as soon as you take care of any items the DAR identifies. From the looks of your work, that should be minimal.

Mine is a Super Skyraider,It has a 1050 gross.It pretty much has the same wing as the older Kitfox and Avids,only they use regular flaps and ailerons.They have been around since the mid 90's but the Super has only been out about 4 years.If you go to Skyraider LLC it will give you their specs.Hopefully it will perform about the same as the Avids and Foxes.Im getting kind of excited about it now,I just got my tailwheel endorsement flying a Piper Vagabond so I will see what happens.My instructor also has a single place Skyraider so he can help me out a bunch.It was entertaining to watch me when I first started but finally got the hang of it.Thanks Randy

Posted

Looking good Randy!! We'll be at Johnson Creek for a week around the 24th of June again. Not sure if I will make it up with my plane again this fall unless it's on the trailer. Damn gas prices are getting pretty stupid.

Posted

You gotta get out of that damned california, Joey. That place will kill ya...

Posted

Looking good Randy!! We'll be at Johnson Creek for a week around the 24th of June again. Not sure if I will make it up with my plane again this fall unless it's on the trailer. Damn gas prices are getting pretty stupid.

What is it down there? We hit 4.05 a gallon here... I cringe every time I fill up the truck...

:BC:

Posted

What is it down there? We hit 4.05 a gallon here... I cringe every time I fill up the truck...

:BC:

Here in Idaho gas is around 3.40 and diesel is 4.10, 100 low lead is still 4.25 at our airport but Im sure it will be way higher when they fill the tank back up.The price of crude has went down a little but pump prices keep going up,so much for that theory.I guess we should just all buy stock in vaseline and bend over.

Posted

Here in Idaho gas is around 3.40 and diesel is 4.10, 100 low lead is still 4.25 at our airport but Im sure it will be way higher when they fill the tank back up.The price of crude has went down a little but pump prices keep going up,so much for that theory.I guess we should just all buy stock in vaseline and bend over.

I just filled up the truck.... 4.12 for the cheap stuff.. :BC: