Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

may be another power plant in the works.. this one 4 stroke..

2 posts in this topic

Posted

I have been looking around for an alternative engine to get a bit more power for my Avid. 65 HP is fine for wheels and pounding pavement but that is just not what I am into.

I have been looking at the Arctic Cat 660 turbo for awhile now and think this may warrant really looking into what it will take to put the "C" gear box on it.

Raven RE-drive has been using the 3 Cylinder Suzuki engine for awhile now with good success, but that was the car motor. This is the cut down version for the snowmachines. I am working on getting an AUW for the various components but It will for sure be better than the subie by a long shot.

Stock it is a 72% increase in HP (110 HP (at) 6700) and at cruise a 82% increase in torque... this means more pitch go faster at cruise..

If you want to monkey with boost and fuel curve etc the HP is nothing short of holy shit..just once I would like to take off on floats with 145 to 160 HP..Gotta be like flying a turbine otter empty with very little fuel.

I know I know, there are gonna be those who say... yeah but the rotax 912 is tried and true and aircraft specific blah blah blah...I can promise that I beat the snowmachine engines WAY harder than I would ever fly the plane under way worse conditions.  Cold starts at -50 with no pre-heat etc..I would not think twice about flying behind this engine IF the weight and gear box work out.  Worst case I would have to put the raven re-drive belt drive system, but I really want to keep the clutch for float operations.

I definately warrants a good look..

I was also considering the 1100 2 cylinder 4 stroke, but I think the 3 cyl 660 will be smoother and more fuel efficient.  Time will tell.

DTRcat660JDPOWER2.doc.pdf

Posted

Yeah but the rotax 912 is tried and true and aircraft specific blah blah blah..