Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Training wheels are off!

2 posts in this topic

Posted

Another great flying wekend finally, after about 2 1/2 weeks of straight wind. Put about 6.5 hours on the plane this weekend so it is at 42.5 hours and running good. buttrock.gif I flew with my buddy with a cub and it cruises about 90 mph. Mine will do it but its turning about 3900 on the Subie and just sounds like it is being pushed. It just flies a lot better at between 3500 to 3800; burns less gas and the engine feels like it likes it there. Still, even at 3900 it burns just over 4 gph.

Might have to get another project going like the longer wings. I've been looking at Doug's information on the beefing up the Avid HH wing; good info. Doug, you mention that the drag tubes are steel instead of aluminum; any idea what size? Will have to figure out what to use as the best starting point and what the cost would be.

Posted

Randy,

Congratulations on getting out of phase 1. Did you notice any difference using the 70" prop? Did you try different blade angles? Have you made any speed runs using 4500-4800 rpm? More? I wonder if you're hearing more engine noise because of where the end of your exhaust is? Of course with the price of gas going up, economical cruise is probably the most important speed, not high-speed cruise. Looking forward to chatting. My MGL instrument should be here early in the week, so it's time for holes to appear in the panel.

Jack