Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Another fun filled flight

21 posts in this topic

Posted

Had a lil issue yesterday.. I just had the plane at the house and took the ski's off and went back to wheels. Did a compression check, re-jetted for the warmer temps, gave the plane a good going over etc. She was all good to go so we decided to go for a nice evening cruise. Loaded it up and headed for the airport. She fired right up and ran smooth just like she always does. Loaded up the girl friend and headed into the wild blue yonder to get some good sun set pics. Take off was normal and as soon as I hit the pattern altitude I pull power back to cruise. About 10 seconds later I am greeted with the shitty sound of silence! Well the girl friend was not so silent! As I had just set cruise power I was watching the gauges like a hawk. EGT's were at 1125 to 1150, water temp at 160 and fuel flow steady at 5.5 GPH so all vital signs were good, just a sudden engine out. I hit the electric boost pump and she fired right off and ran OK wide open throttle, but the second I pulled the power back she quit again, locked up tight. A couple S turns and a down wind landing and we were on the ground.

I tried to restart again on the ground but she was locked up... great. A quick call on the unicom to let others know I would have a truck on the gravel runway next to the main runway and I ran over to get the truck and trailer and loaded it up. When I got home I pulled the plugs and the front jug has decided to make metal.. Not sure where it came from as the top of the piston looks fine and the plugs look great as far as burn goes. Nice dark brown to even suggest that she was a tad on the rich side, definitely not lean at all. I will tear into it and post up pics tomorrow, but it looks like it's time for me to get off my ass and get the 800 project wrapped up..

I could not be more proud of my girl, after the initial shock she was awesome and didn't panic!

:BC:

Posted

Leni, Im glad you had enough altitude and kept your cool,so many accidents are incidents like yours and the pilots dont keep them selves calm enough to finish out the ride with the desired outcome.Sounds like your girl friend kept it together also,good job. Randy

Posted

Had a lil issue yesterday.. I just had the plane at the house and took the ski's off and went back to wheels. Did a compression check, re-jetted for the warmer temps, gave the plane a good going over etc. She was all good to go so we decided to go for a nice evening cruise. Loaded it up and headed for the airport. She fired right up and ran smooth just like she always does. Loaded up the girl friend and headed into the wild blue yonder to get some good sun set pics. Take off was normal and as soon as I hit the pattern altitude I pull power back to cruise. About 10 seconds later I am greeted with the shitty sound of silence! Well the girl friend was not so silent! As I had just set cruise power I was watching the gauges like a hawk. EGT's were at 1125 to 1150, water temp at 160 and fuel flow steady at 5.5 GPH so all vital signs were good, just a sudden engine out. I hit the electric boost pump and she fired right off and ran OK wide open throttle, but the second I pulled the power back she quit again, locked up tight. A couple S turns and a down wind landing and we were on the ground.

I tried to restart again on the ground but she was locked up... great. A quick call on the unicom to let others know I would have a truck on the gravel runway next to the main runway and I ran over to get the truck and trailer and loaded it up. When I got home I pulled the plugs and the front jug has decided to make metal.. Not sure where it came from as the top of the piston looks fine and the plugs look great as far as burn goes. Nice dark brown to even suggest that she was a tad on the rich side, definitely not lean at all. I will tear into it and post up pics tomorrow, but it looks like it's time for me to get off my ass and get the 800 project wrapped up..

I could not be more proud of my girl, after the initial shock she was awesome and didn't panic!

BC.gif

Leni great to hear all went well. I just got back from winter home in Fl. and plan on getting N844RS running. I will check all as you did. Also do some taxi runs before flight. Russ.

Posted (edited)

I glad all worked out for a safe return, Leni.

( :flamegun: I know where there's a nice 912 for you if you're done risking your life with that chainsaw motor. :nutkick:)

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Hi Leni:

YIKES! Glad to hear you are ok and it all went well.Please fill us in on the details of the unscheduled trama to your 2stroke baby.Howmanyhrs over what time frame did the motor have?

Mike

Posted

Glad to hear that you were able to make a good landing, one you could walk away from, and I will even give you an excellent because even though you couldn't fly the plane away it was beyond your control. Seriously though how many hours did you have on the engine? Hopefully you will be able to get fixed and back in the air soon, its been two months since I could afford to spare money to rent a plane and I am already jonseing.

Posted

Leni, Im glad you had enough altitude and kept your cool,so many accidents are incidents like yours and the pilots dont keep them selves calm enough to finish out the ride with the desired outcome.Sounds like your girl friend kept it together also,good job. Randy

Well my first engine out didnt go so well, but that was in a pacer on floats and I was climbing out HARD to clear the trees.. when she puked I just kinda rotated around the wingtips and lawn darted in from about 100'. By the time you hit the third engine out, its old hat and you just play the cards your dealt.

Leni great to hear all went well. I just got back from winter home in Fl. and plan on getting N844RS running. I will check all as you did. Also do some taxi runs before flight. Russ.

Since your back home, go kick the fat bastage builder in the ass and get him motivated!

I glad all worked out for a safe return, Leni.

( :flamegun: I know where there's a nice 912 for you if you're done risking your life with that chainsaw motor. :nutkick:)

hahahaha, I have 2 kids getting married this summer and lawyers crawling up my ass... the chances of spending money on a 912 are about as good as me waking up and finding a turbine sherpa in the front yard with a big ole bow wrapped around it and a nice note from Santa telling me merry Christmas!

Hi Leni:

YIKES! Glad to hear you are ok and it all went well.Please fill us in on the details of the unscheduled trama to your 2stroke baby.Howmanyhrs over what time frame did the motor have?

Mike

I have 172 hrs over the last 2 yrs on it... Alot less than I should have had on it, but the summer was real crappy last year. I normally get in 250-300 hrs on floats buts the shitty weather kept me down to 43 hrs.. worst year I can remember for float time!

Glad to hear that you were able to make a good landing, one you could walk away from, and I will even give you an excellent because even though you couldn't fly the plane away it was beyond your control. Seriously though how many hours did you have on the engine? Hopefully you will be able to get fixed and back in the air soon, its been two months since I could afford to spare money to rent a plane and I am already jonseing.

172 trouble free hours... Will get it torn down tonight and see what went wrong. I really dont think it is too catastrophic cause I pulled the exhaust manifold and the cylinders look pretty damn good. No sign of a hard seize and the top of the piston looks good. There are a couple scratches on the back side of the cylinder wall that are leading me to think that I caught a ring on the intake port and broke it. I will know for certain here pretty quick!

Posted

Well I tore into the engine and the jury is out till I pull the crank.. there was a lot of clutch dust behind the gear box and the front seal was leaking a little bit. Bottom line is the rod bearing on the crank locked up.

Posted

Looks like I lost the oil pump or the check valve hung up. The front bearing is ok but the con rod bearing is toast and she got way hot! Only takes a few seconds without oil to eat that lil bugger up! Pics to follow in a few...

BC.gif

Here are the pics...

post-2-13035831868916_thumb.jpg

post-2-13035832029437_thumb.jpg

post-2-13035832174658_thumb.jpg

post-2-13035832321516_thumb.jpg

post-2-13035832457554_thumb.jpg

post-2-13035832627119_thumb.jpg

post-2-13035832748022_thumb.jpg

post-2-13035832936638_thumb.jpg

Posted

Looks like I lost the oil pump or the check valve hung up. The front bearing is ok but the con rod bearing is toast and she got way hot! Only takes a few seconds without oil to eat that lil bugger up! Pics to follow in a few...

BC.gif

Here are the pics...

Looks like there is a lot of corrosion in your bottom half or is it just the pics?

Posted

Looks like there is a lot of corrosion in your bottom half or is it just the pics?

No corrosion, just lots of metal flakes. Shitty cell phone pics I guess.. Are you refering to what looks like pitting on the crank counter ballances? If so, that is just the casting but NO rust of corrosion. They are only machined on the sides and not across the outer faces.

BC.gif

Posted

Glad to hear you got down alright and was able to walk away. It does raise a few questions. . . . .

post-113-13036689026384_thumb.jpg

. . . .are you going to overhaul these, zero-time factory reman, or spring for a new replacement? :lmao:

Seriously through, I am glad to hear everyone is alright. How much more work until the 800 is up and going? I am sure quite a few people are interested. Keep us posted!

-Nate

Posted

Glad to hear you got down alright and was able to walk away. It does raise a few questions. . . . .

post-113-13036689026384_thumb.jpg

. . . .are you going to overhaul these, zero-time factory reman, or spring for a new replacement? lmao.gif

Seriously through, I am glad to hear everyone is alright. How much more work until the 800 is up and going? I am sure quite a few people are interested. Keep us posted!

-Nate

hahahahaha.. First glance the skid marks look like a sea ray :lmao:

No skid marks for me. Engine out is old hat and I had plenty of altitude to make the runway when she went the first time. Let this be a good lesson to the guys I have seen who pull the power back right after take off and still on climb out.. Keep that friggin power house wound up till your at safe altitude!!!!

As far as the 800.. I should have a full 2 weeks off to work on it this time home so I am hoping to atleast get the engine mounted and start the pipe mods. Of course, this depends on the weather and how the fish are biting also haha. I have another engine sitting in the garage so it would be easy to have a 582 bolted on the nose and be back in the air in a day but I really want to let this be a good motivator to get the 800 mod done.

Posted

Hey Leni should oil pump be replaced at so many hours? My engine has a total of 510 hours but has 120 hours since a Rotax major rebuild.I doubt that the pump was changed.Sometimes I think about running mixed gas but most of the people I talk to says to run the pump.They say they are normally very reliable.Guess we will find out.Randy

Posted

Hey Leni should oil pump be replaced at so many hours? My engine has a total of 510 hours but has 120 hours since a Rotax major rebuild.I doubt that the pump was changed.Sometimes I think about running mixed gas but most of the people I talk to says to run the pump.They say they are normally very reliable.Guess we will find out.Randy

Not sure on this one Randy.. I never had an oil pump failure on any of the 2 stroke I have run before.. And that is in lots of miles on the snow and in the air. I am going to figure out a way to test the pump and see if I can figure out what went wrong.

A few before and after pics of the flight. How lucky can a guy get to find a beautiful gal who loves to fly and is willing to get right back in the plane after an engine out. She is pushing me hard to get it back in the air and on floats! Damn I love this girl!

The oh shit look on her face was priceless!

post-2-13037530402838_thumb.jpg

post-2-13037530487993_thumb.jpg

post-2-13037530573502_thumb.jpg

Posted

Not sure on this one Randy.. I never had an oil pump failure on any of the 2 stroke I have run before.. And that is in lots of miles on the snow and in the air. I am going to figure out a way to test the pump and see if I can figure out what went wrong.

A few before and after pics of the flight. How lucky can a guy get to find a beautiful gal who loves to fly and is willing to get right back in the plane after an engine out. She is pushing me hard to get it back in the air and on floats! Damn I love this girl!

The oh shit look on her face was priceless!

She might be a keeper if she wants to get back in after a dead stick landing.My wife would probably stay on the ground for awhile and maybe would never get back in.Your gal friend is beautiful and adventurous,those two qualitys usually dont go together.Lucky Dog you.....

Posted

Hey Leni, What's the update on your bird? Are you back in the air yet?

Posted

Hey Leni, What's the update on your bird? Are you back in the air yet?

Not yet Randy. I spent last R&R in Juneau getting the better half taken care of. Fingers crossed that I will have time to get it running this time home.

How is the suberavid doing? You getting some more time in beating up the gravel bars ??

Posted

Jack and I flew up to Rustic Wilderness strip and "crashed"...er, probably not the best wording... "invited" ourselves to the short wing Piper club burger feed they were throwing. One of he guys in the Anchorage EAA invited everyone to it since he was a member and then he didn't showdunno.gif . They were gracious enough to feed us anyway, a good bunch of folks. Got to look over a Quickie Two that had been completed and never flown; was a yard ornament for the last 10 years or more. Evidently when the guy was just ready to fly it about 6 people got killed in them in the same year. He parked it and that was the end of the story. You never know what you are going to find at these fly-ins. The Avids always seem to attract attention though. Meanwhile Jack and I got airborn again just as the cops arrived.

I think I might try to get out to the McCarther River tomorrow and see if the kings are starting to run. It looks like it might be another good day.

Not yet Randy. I spent last R&R in Juneau getting the better half taken care of. Fingers crossed that I will have time to get it running this time home.

How is the suberavid doing? You getting some more time in beating up the gravel bars ??

Posted

Jack and I flew up to Rustic Wilderness strip and "crashed"...er, probably not the best wording... "invited" ourselves to the short wing Piper club burger feed they were throwing. One of he guys in the Anchorage EAA invited everyone to it since he was a member and then he didn't showdunno.gif . They were gracious enough to feed us anyway, a good bunch of folks. Got to look over a Quickie Two that had been completed and never flown; was a yard ornament for the last 10 years or more. Evidently when the guy was just ready to fly it about 6 people got killed in them in the same year. He parked it and that was the end of the story. You never know what you are going to find at these fly-ins. The Avids always seem to attract attention though. Meanwhile Jack and I got airborn again just as the cops arrived.

I think I might try to get out to the McCarther River tomorrow and see if the kings are starting to run. It looks like it might be another good day.

Small world.... My buddy Van Wilson sent me an email a few days ago saying that he picked up that quickie two. Sounds like a good time up there! Cops??? must been a good party going on for them to show up :lol: Envious on the kings it is killing me not having the bird in the air right now!!

Posted

Well it was an awsome day of flying and a great spot but no kings. I caught on rainbow about 14" but can't keep them until after June 15 or so. Still, it was beautiful, about 78 degrees, white sand bar about 560', awsome! The water was low there but very clear coming out of the stream running into the McCarthy. My buddy says when the kings are in there they are just rolling. I know I will be back. We flew up to the glacier and then he headed for home. I had to play some more so I flew along the glaciers to Beluga lake and landed on a nice sandy area in the west end. The wind down glacier was blowing about 15 so I was off in about 100' and climbing like an elevator. Did a little more exploring; flew across to Skwentna and buzzed Dan and Julie's then to Shirley lake and had dinner with some friends. An even 5 hours on the clock when I got home. I need to figure out how to download the pictures since my son is in OR and this computer won't do it. I should have kind of a neat one flying in some rain with the sun behind me there has a cool vertical rainbow.

Hope you get the bird flying soon; we could meet up out there for some fishing.