Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

First Dual Flight

3 posts in this topic

Posted

I twisted Jack's arm enough to become my first victim...er...passenger. We had a great fight down to Soldotna and had lunch with Leni and and his girl friend (thanks again Leni). The Avid+ did fine with two of us, 20 Gal of fuel and 50 lbs of gear. I was pleased with the takeoff and handling with the load. It gets off faster than my Avid did under the same load so the added HP and torque make a real difference on that end of the spectrum. With the bushwheels on it and the added flaperon travel I think it helps due to the increased angle of attack as well. Besides, it just looks so good with those bush wheels on it.

Although it would be nice to have the 100 lb weight reduction of a 912 but for about $14K less, I think Jack agrees, the Subie doesn't do half bad.

The day was awsome and we managed to get one gravel bar landing in on the way home.wink.gif

Posted

Randy,

Thanks for the ride, It was a great way to see what my Avid+ is going to fly like and the power the subaru engine will provide. It's been quite a while since I've flown and the view out the window is quite a bit different than that from a Citabria. The power you feel in the seat of your pants when the power is applied for takeoff is impressive. That 100hp in an 800lb. plane is quite impressive when you compare it to the 100hp Citabria that weighs in at 1600lbs.

My thanks to Leni and Tina for buying and taking us to lunch, it was great to have the time to visit and catch up on things. The thing that still stands out in my mind about how the Avid+ plus flies, is that when you're cruising along, if you try to fly it, you do worse that if you just keep your feet on the rudders and leave the stick alone. It does a better job flying that if you try to fly it! Talk about stable, it's really impressive! Got the rigging spot on!

Thanks again Randy, the flight was great.

Jack

Posted

Hey guys,

Your welcome for the lunch! I was glad to see jack getting back in the air and I hope it will light the fire to get his bird in the air!

You darn sure could not have picked a better day to burn some sky!