Brake fittings

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Before I even attempt to increase the brake pressure by modifying the peddles, I need to be able to keep the fluid in the system!

I have replaced the brass fittings at my calipers and have put thread sealing compound on them and tightened them just shy of the breaking point, yet still I have leaks of fluid. My next move is to replace the lines running down the inside of the gear and their compression fittings (though I don't think they are leaking).

Does anyone have any advise for me? Joey, you just did all of this didn't you? Thoughts or comments are welcome. I don't have any more hair to pull out... :hammerhead:

Posted

Before I even attempt to increase the brake pressure by modifying the peddles, I need to be able to keep the fluid in the system!

I have replaced the brass fittings at my calipers and have put thread sealing compound on them and tightened them just shy of the breaking point, yet still I have leaks of fluid. My next move is to replace the lines running down the inside of the gear and their compression fittings (though I don't think they are leaking).

Does anyone have any advise for me? Joey, you just did all of this didn't you? Thoughts or comments are welcome. I don't have any more hair to pull out... :hammerhead:

Are you leaking around the tubing or at the fitting where it threads into the caliper?

Posted

From what I can see, it's leaking at the pipe threaded fittings.

Posted

From what I can see, it's leaking at the pipe threaded fittings.

Larry,I had the same problem on my dragster,it has Wilwood brakes with 1/8 inch pipe thread and I could not get one of them to quit leaking.A race buddy of mine told me to use Loctite 545,I did and it hasnt leaked since.If that doesnt cure it then it may be cracked in the tapered pipe thread.Randy

Posted

Larry,I had the same problem on my dragster,it has Wilwood brakes with 1/8 inch pipe thread and I could not get one of them to quit leaking.A race buddy of mine told me to use Loctite 545,I did and it hasnt leaked since.If that doesnt cure it then it may be cracked in the tapered pipe thread.Randy

Sounds like your pipe threads are shot Larry.

Posted

They are new... 45° elbow and compression fitting adapter.

Posted

Okay, so I finally got pissed off and tightened the fittings such that they would either quit leaking or I'd break them.

They have now stopped leaking.

My brakes are still spongy. (Especially the left one.)

After bleeding them repeatedly, I decided to rebuild the Master Cylinders. (MC-5's) Disassembled them, replaced the o-rings, reassembled, refill the system and bleed again.

Still spongy.

Did I mention I hate my Matco brakes... :deadhorse:

Posted

Okay, so I finally got pissed off and tightened the fittings such that they would either quit leaking or I'd break them.

They have now stopped leaking.

My brakes are still spongy. (Especially the left one.)

After bleeding them repeatedly, I decided to rebuild the Master Cylinders. (MC-5's) Disassembled them, replaced the o-rings, reassembled, refill the system and bleed again.

Still spongy.

My MC4's are awesome. I think you are drawing air someplace Larry. Prob the calipers.

Did I mention I hate my Matco brakes... :deadhorse:

Posted

Got blown out on my reply. I TOO HATE MY BRAKES. Got a MKIV Heavy Hauler with an EA81 and it takes me forty acres to manuever the thing. I was told by the builder that it's never had any brakes (I suspect this is an understatement) and I should only be using the SCOTT steerable for handling the pointy end. I'm thinking of visiting a salvage yard and looking for a good pair of FREIGHTLINER assemblys. Another idea was to attach five foot handles to each master cylinder.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. BTW has anyone ever thought of TWO calipers on one backing plate?

Open to all, not open to 747 mod suggestions. Be well ... Jim

Posted

Got blown out on my reply. I TOO HATE MY BRAKES. Got a MKIV Heavy Hauler with an EA81 and it takes me forty acres to manuever the thing. I was told by the builder that it's never had any brakes (I suspect this is an understatement) and I should only be using the SCOTT steerable for handling the pointy end. I'm thinking of visiting a salvage yard and looking for a good pair of FREIGHTLINER assemblys. Another idea was to attach five foot handles to each master cylinder.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. BTW has anyone ever thought of TWO calipers on one backing plate?

Open to all, not open to 747 mod suggestions. Be well ... Jim

It's not your calipers it's the geometry of your master cylinders on your rudder pedals. Your not getting enough working pressure down to your Master cylinders. Get a Matco TW I love mine.

Read through this thread for info on how I went from Go Kart mechanical brakes to Matco Brakes that will literally stand my bird on it's nose.

Posted

Another thought is the pads.. if they are glazed over your not going to get crapola for brakes. The geometry is hosed on them and you dont get good pressure to the calipers as Joey said. The new pedals that Mikesk makes will fix that. But I think you would have to get the shorter MC4D masters too..

I put his pedals on mine and just shortened the shafts on the MC1 maters that came on my plane. It was a marked improvement that will be even better when I get the MC4D masters on.

:BC:

Posted

it could also be that the masters are not releasing all the way and are not self adjusting (refilling themselves with fluid) I had that issue when I first cut my masters down and the rod was not short enough. I had to get a couple more threads cut on it to get them to work right.

Posted

it could also be that the masters are not releasing all the way and are not self adjusting (refilling themselves with fluid) I had that issue when I first cut my masters down and the rod was not short enough. I had to get a couple more threads cut on it to get them to work right.

'akflyer' you've been right there whenever I've had a question or problem. You don't know how much I appreciate any tidbit of advice I can get and you give it by the pound. You've given me more detective work and it is very much appreciated. Be well ... Jim

:handjob:

Posted

Matco makes an insert kit for the 5/8 bore MCs. Makes the bore 1/2 inch diameter. Supposed to give (ITHINK) 30% more brake power.

BTW We used Loctite 545 on all of our hydraulic, phneumatic, and fuel fitting and even put it on bolts for a medium threadlocker and thread corosion prerventer. Works GREAT. ED

Posted

I have since converted to Grove gear, wheels and double puck brakes. The masters are fine. The Matco single puck calipers are not my favorites.