Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

10 inch wheels from Matco

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Took a look at the MATCOMFG site yesterday and was amazed to find a pair of 10 inch wheels as well as the 8 inch wheel they have had for some time. Opens up alot of tires for our use. They also have several styles of double fork tailwheels. weather wasn't cooperating so it was internet search time

Posted

Took a look at the MATCOMFG site yesterday and was amazed to find a pair of 10 inch wheels as well as the 8 inch wheel they have had for some time. Opens up alot of tires for our use. They also have several styles of double fork tailwheels. weather wasn't cooperating so it was internet search time

Hell Yeah! That does open up a world of ATV tires to easily use now! I really like some of the new tail wheels George has now also. My 6" pnuematic picked up a screw and self destricted on the short taxi time in from the runway to tie down. I didn't like that skinny lil beyatch back there anyway for off field work.

:BC:

Posted

Leni I spent some time on their site today and they have some KILLER new tailwheel set ups. They are dual fork and go all the way up to 11" now!! I talked to Andy at Matco today and they will do a conversion for you using your existing mount and steering linkage saving alot of money. I think I'm going to run the 8" with the 3.5" wide tire with the dual fork set up. The advantage of the dual fork is you can run a bigger tire with much shorter arms. The dual fork 8" set up is actually shorter than my 7" set up.

lg.jpg

Posted

Leni I spent some time on their site today and they have some KILLER new tailwheel set ups. They are dual fork and go all the way up to 11" now!! I talked to Andy at Matco today and they will do a conversion for you using your existing mount and steering linkage saving alot of money. I think I'm going to run the 8" with the 3.5" wide tire with the dual fork set up. The advantage of the dual fork is you can run a bigger tire with much shorter arms. The dual fork 8" set up is actually shorter than my 7" set up.

That is the one I have settled on too. First priority is getting the damn 800 installed... Hope some good progress can be made this time home..

:BC:

Posted

I got to see these at the aviation trade show in Anchorage the first of May and got to talk to George Happ from matco. A nice guy. the TW's look great and I also asked him if they are making hubs for the 8 and 10 inch wheels. He said that they are making the hubs also but they (hubs or wheels, can't remember which) are set up to run the outside caliber brakes rather than the inside caliber brakes. Matco makes brakes in both styles. This gives us some pretty neat options. The wide TW would probably be real nice in the sand and mud. I don't know if I am ready to change since I already have an 8" TW on but if I still had the 6" it would be my first choice!

Posted

I realize this topic is over a year old but I recently purchased Matcos 12 inch wheels to use 27 inch tall ATV tires.

This was a $500. experiment to see how my Kitfox would handle the taller and heavier tires over my current 22 inch ATV tires.

These wheels and tires would be similar to what Greg Swindle from Ohio Bushplanes was using till he went to Alaskan Bushwheels.

I went from 13#'s to 19#'s per side for each wheel and tire for a total of 12 pounds weight increase.

On pavement landings I can definitely feel the increased resistance to spining up heavier and taller tires but not an issue.

On gravel bars they roll over rocks so much easier and give me confidence to land where I would not before.

The added tire diameter also gives desireable increased wing incidence.

Because of the 12 inch wheels they will not have the shock absorption that a 6 inch wheeled ABW would have.

Also, the 12 inch wheels just do not look right compared to the 6" wheels on my sons 31" ABW.

Since I want to land on rocks, this experiment was a success for the ABW company.

All I have to decide now is how much extra weight I want to add and spend for either 26 or 29 Airstreaks not to mention drag to an already slow airplane.

Herman