Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Run Up

4 posts in this topic

Posted

I've got my engine back on after tearing it down and putting new seals in it. Done a ton of other touch ups to the plane as well and ready to run it up.

I still have it at home in the garage and was wondering if its ok to run it up with the wings folded back. I was planning to tie it to my truck so it can't accidently move on me and fire it up in the driveway. Anything i should know before i do it?

Thanks,

Darcy

Posted

I've got my engine back on after tearing it down and putting new seals in it. Done a ton of other touch ups to the plane as well and ready to run it up.

I still have it at home in the garage and was wondering if its ok to run it up with the wings folded back. I was planning to tie it to my truck so it can't accidently move on me and fire it up in the driveway. Anything i should know before i do it?

Thanks,

Darcy

You can fire it up with the wings folded, but fuel wont feel worth a darn. It only takes a couple minutes to fold them out and then they will feed like they are spose to.

:BC:

Posted

I ran mine up while tied down with NO wings on it. The tail came up at about 5000 rpm it was kinda hairy!

Posted

I finally got a chance yesterday to pull the plane out of the garage and fire it up. I was happy as could be when it started on the second pull. Actually, i was rather surprised seeing as i had the engine apart. 3 or 4 shots of primer to get the fuel going to it and two solid pulls and away it went. All this was overshadowed by my wife waving her hands to kill the engine. Turns out one of the carbs decided to start leaking fuel rather quickly onto the driveway. Thats why its always a good idea to have a spotter. Also explains why it wasn't as smooth as I thought this little 2 stroke should be.

After taking the suspect carb off and fiddling with it and then cleaning it, i came to the conclusion that the needle valve wasn't sealing properly. It had little black indents/rings on the rubber tip. Also the brass float bracket seemed to be binding a bit on the pin it sits on.

So i ordered a carb kit and new pin/float bracket. Should be here soon. I'm getting rather excited to get this bad boy over to the airport and start some real tests on it.