Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fuel gauge

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello guys,

What kind of solutions you've got for fuel metering in your Avids?

Here in Finland it is required to have fuel indication of both (wing) tanks if they have a separate feed...

I have a Avid Flyer with tanks made from fiberglas (one in each wing root).

I tought first to add a sight gauge but how to build tank fitting (and be sure that it won't leak :-).

From Spruce I found something called fuel flow elbow and a rubber fitting for it (so that having a hole and that rubber fitting placed in it

and that fuel flow elbow to it?)? I think I'm missing something here... Sounds a little err... not too secure...

Any help much appreciated,

Regards,

Keijo

Posted

I have the fabric cut off the inboard edge of my wing so I can see the fuel level right in the fiberglass tanks. I calibrated it using a gallon milk jug. I jacked up the tail to what I thought was real close to level flight and marked a line for each gallon. Sometimes you have to shake it a little bit to see the level but it's a nice piece of mind to be able to see the actual level in the tank.

1 person likes this

Posted

I have the fabric cut off the inboard edge of my wing so I can see the fuel level right in the fiberglass tanks. I calibrated it using a gallon milk jug. I jacked up the tail to what I thought was real close to level flight and marked a line for each gallon. Sometimes you have to shake it a little bit to see the level but it's a nice piece of mind to be able to see the actual level in the tank.

Hey Joey, Im getting ready for my DAR inspection and marking the fuel level is one of my last things on my list,do you have to mark both flying attitude and on the ground attitude?Do you mark it in gallons or fuel level such as 1/4, 1/2 etc.Thanks Randy

Posted

That's exactly how it has been originally done in my plane. The problem is that fiberglass has become wery dirty & dark and is quite impossible to see fuel level through it. I also thought whether sanding do the trick but I don't know if the surface turns in to be "scratched" (and make the wall of tank thinner)!

Finnish CAA has quite strict about this. Anybody installed sight gauge to fiberglass inboard edge of the wing?

Also if I have understood correctly some Piper Cubs etc. have used mechanical fuel gauge (Spruce id 05-16700) but I have no idea if they have had a tank made of metal (aluminum etc.).

I wonder if sealing of the thing can be done properly with fiberglass wall...

Keijo

Posted

Hello guys,

What kind of solutions you've got for fuel metering in your Avids?

Here in Finland it is required to have fuel indication of both (wing) tanks if they have a separate feed...

I have a Avid Flyer with tanks made from fiberglas (one in each wing root).

I tought first to add a sight gauge but how to build tank fitting (and be sure that it won't leak :-).

From Spruce I found something called fuel flow elbow and a rubber fitting for it (so that having a hole and that rubber fitting placed in it

and that fuel flow elbow to it?)? I think I'm missing something here... Sounds a little err... not too secure...

Any help much appreciated,

Regards,

Keijo

Hi

sorry for my bad english

you'll have to get a FF-1 or FF-3 from MGL (http://www.stratomaster.eu/desktopdefault.aspx?panelid=69&tabindex=0&tabid=0#FF-1)

2 Fuel Flow Sender (one for each wing) http://www.stratomaster.eu/lignes/mgl/pdf/en/ffdoc.pdf

and 2 'andair check valves" from spruce

MicheL

Posted

Hi

sorry for my bad english

you'll have to get a FF-1 or FF-3 from MGL (http://www.stratomaster.eu/desktopdefault.aspx?panelid=69&tabindex=0&tabid=0#FF-1)

2 Fuel Flow Sender (one for each wing) http://www.stratomaster.eu/lignes/mgl/pdf/en/ffdoc.pdf

and 2 'andair check valves" from spruce

MicheL

Hello Michel,

I didn't quite get it. Do I understand this correctly if I say that you are suggesting of counting fuel consumption thus getting fuel level in tanks by calculating how much is used in certain time?

If so, I think this wouldn't work in real life where you don't necessarily start every time with full tanks!

I propably missed something in here.

If I decide to go with the sight gauge option, how to connect a line to the gasoline tank made of fiberglass?

Regards,

Keijo

Posted (edited)

I just have to indicate in the gauge how much gaz I add in each tank

ex : If I've got 15 l in the Left wing and 12 in the right wing

I add 24 in each wing so I will have to indicate 39 in the left and 36 in the other one

I use this on my avid and there is no problem

MicheL

Edited by 4aplat

Posted

I just have to indicate in the gauge how much gaz I add in each tank

ex : If I've got 15 l in the Left wing and 12 in the right wing

I add 24 in each wing so I will have to indicate 39 in the left and 36 in the other one

I use this on my avid and there is no problem

MicheL

So I did understand you correctly. No doubt it works but I'm pretty sure that Finnish CAA wouldn't accept that kind of system.

I think they (CAA) requires a level or amount indication of each gasoline tank!

Thanks anyhow.

Regards,

Keijo

Posted

So I did understand you correctly. No doubt it works but I'm pretty sure that Finnish CAA wouldn't accept that kind of system.

I think they (CAA) requires a level or amount indication of each gasoline tank!

Thanks anyhow.

Regards,

Keijo

OK

we don't have CAA here for ultralight aiplanes !!

Posted

OK

we don't have CAA here for ultralight aiplanes !!

I see. Everything is so controlled here in Finland. I have registered my avid to flied with PPL (cheap way to keep the license). It is possible to register it

later to be ultralight...

Regards,

Keijo

Posted

Kitfox uses sight gauges on their model 5 and up. I would email John and ask him for some details. www.kitfoxaircraft.com My powered parachute used a sight gauge on the fiberglass tank that was the back of the seat. They were some kind of rubber plug in type fitting. Sorry I don't have any details I sold it a few years back.

Posted

Kitfox uses sight gauges on their model 5 and up. I would email John and ask him for some details. www.kitfoxaircraft.com My powered parachute used a sight gauge on the fiberglass tank that was the back of the seat. They were some kind of rubber plug in type fitting. Sorry I don't have any details I sold it a few years back.

Spruce sells kind of connector pipe that goes through rubber bushing. No nuts or any other means to secure that in the place. If the thing leaks, fuel flows on your lap.... I kind a

don't like the idea. I'll ask from kitfoxaircraft next... Thanks.