Avid Floats for sale

4 posts in this topic

Posted

My father built an Avid Flyer several years ago and ordered a set of floats with the kit. He finished the airplane but never put it on the floats. He recently asked me to sell them for him. (He can no longer fly and no longer has the airplane). They are fiberglas floats, with steel pipe spreader bars and struts, presumably for an Avid Flyer. They still have the foam packing attached and have been stored inside. I haven't found any of these for sale so I'm not sure of the value. I'm hoping someone in this forum can advise me of a fair value, or if interested let me know. The floats are in Homer, Alaska.

Posted

My father built an Avid Flyer several years ago and ordered a set of floats with the kit. He finished the airplane but never put it on the floats. He recently asked me to sell them for him. (He can no longer fly and no longer has the airplane). They are fiberglas floats, with steel pipe spreader bars and struts, presumably for an Avid Flyer. They still have the foam packing attached and have been stored inside. I haven't found any of these for sale so I'm not sure of the value. I'm hoping someone in this forum can advise me of a fair value, or if interested let me know. The floats are in Homer, Alaska.

Hi Mike,

A few members here are up your way and I'm sure can help you out. I suspect pricing is different in the lower states due to shipping, but I saw the Avid floats in the attached pics on a classified a few years back asking ~$3000. If your Dad's floats are new and unused, I would expect a good price, particularly if the rigging is all there and you have a true plug 'n play package. That's a pretty desirable combo for an Avid owner as similar displacement floats are not easy or cheap to come by and many of the older floats weigh a ton after sucking water through cracks, etc. into the foam core. I'd be interested if you were closer.

Post up some pics in the For Sale forum and see what happens!

post-53-13080838198677_thumb.jpg

post-53-13080838297024_thumb.jpg

post-53-13080838386473_thumb.jpg

post-53-13080838488931_thumb.jpg

Posted

Mike,

I am just up the road from you in Soldotna. I will be down in Homer the 29th -30th for some fishing and bsing and would like to come take a look at the floats if you still have them for sale.

:BC:

Posted

Not trying to hijack your thread, but did you sell your floats yet? I just picked up a set of these floats with a project about a week ago. No paperwork or rigging with mine though. Would like to learn more about them, what was the gross weight they were designed for ect. I'm thinking I will probably sell mine also at some point. I'm in Mn so shipping wouldn't be as much of a hassel as Alaska. Take care, Jim Chuk