Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Just so we have something to read and comment on.....

4 posts in this topic

Posted

.....I am going to cut and paste questions from 'another' site that I have an opinion on.

Here is a recent question....

"I am doing my annual on my plane, and wanted to know if lubrication is required for the guide bushing? if so LPS1 or TRIFLOW. Can someone help."

First.., it is called a "condition report", not an "annual" Proper nomenclature is important

Second, if it moves...lube it. With what depends on how much dirt you wish to accumulate on the partspieces. Some lubricants will attract and-or hold dustdirt more than others. Items such as starter Bendix gears call for dry lubricants such as silicone spray to prevent this accumulation.

Third, clean then re-lube. Take a look at the sticky, gummy finish that develops on control yoke shafts in a typical "real" plane. A quick wipe with mineral spirits will remove this gunk, and a light rub with lube will restore the smoothness of the shaft and it will slide as if on butter.

So...if the bushings mentioned above are nylon, bakelite, etc..., one would do well to clean the rubbing surface, and lube with some product such as (dry) silicone or graphite to reduce future contamination. Sure, you could leave it dry and clean, but anything that reduces ANY friction is a benefit.

But hey...I'm just an A&P. I'm sure if you ask a dentist or plumber you will get a different opinion.

Posted

Well, here is the first comment on the "other" site.

" I use white lithium graese on mine because......."

White lithium grease....good for tractors. Just a dirt magnet on aircraft.

My opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

Posted

I say me thinks your right Steve . And yes it is called a condition inspection . There is a big difference .

:siterocks:

John

Posted

A recent topic on the List is .... Operating cost.

Here's my take on that subject.

1) The plane is paid for. Therefore, no operating cost.

2) I barter for my hanger space.  Therefore, no operating cost.

3) I'm a A&P. I do my own inspection. Therefore, no operating cost.

4) I charge mileage when it go to the airport to do A&P stuff so auto travel gas is paid for. Therefore, no operating cost.

5) I use the same oil as the auto,....buy a case for the auto and just "borrow" from it for the aircraft. Hence, no operating cost.

6) Ok... I have to fill two 5 gal. gas cans @ whatever the price is that day.... avg. $2.80 -$3.00gal. If I need gas for the auto to get home, I drain it from the plane.

7) Insurance? peshaw...Not required by FAA or Mich.

So MY total operating cost is the gas I burn. $12.00hr??

Kiss  Keep it simple, stupid.

That's my story and...yada yada yada.