Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wing Covering

4 posts in this topic

Posted

I am getting ready to cover my wings on my Mk IV HH with the Polyfiber process and have a few questions for those with experience.

I read in the manual that rib stitching is not necessary but the Polyfiber manual states that rib stitching is a must. I have seen some pictures of the fabric pulling away from the lower surface of the wing. If you had it to do over would you stitch or not stitch?

I have installed the aluminum leading edge as per plans so if anyone is has done this and rib stitched did you stitch around the bottom rib caps on the front 1/3 of the wing under the aluminum LE?

I bought the fabric kit from Kitfox and they supplied materials for rib stitching so I assume that they recommend it for their airplanes.

Paul Spackman

Mk IV HH

Posted

I am getting ready to cover my wings on my Mk IV HH with the Polyfiber process and have a few questions for those with experience.

I read in the manual that rib stitching is not necessary but the Polyfiber manual states that rib stitching is a must. I have seen some pictures of the fabric pulling away from the lower surface of the wing. If you had it to do over would you stitch or not stitch?

I have installed the aluminum leading edge as per plans so if anyone is has done this and rib stitched did you stitch around the bottom rib caps on the front 1/3 of the wing under the aluminum LE?

I bought the fabric kit from Kitfox and they supplied materials for rib stitching so I assume that they recommend it for their airplanes.

Paul Spackman

Mk IV HH

Hi Paul,

I rib stitched mine. It is part of the VNE increase so I was told. My brothers kitfox was not rib stitched and there was a few that were starting to turn loose on the bottom side. Mine has the aluminum leading edge and I did stitch the bottom side up as far as I could, then started the top side right behind the aluminum.

:BC:

Posted

Stitch! The extra time will save you later on especially if you have an uncambered wing. The piece of mind is worth it too IMO. As Leni alluded to the original Avid/Kitfox had a VNE of like 90mph. Guys are now cruising them at 100+ mph. They are going much faster now with more engine choices than they early days. Once you get the pattern set and the knot down stitching is actually kinda fun. We spent around 8 hours on each wing..basically one full work day on each wing. Did it in a weekend. The more you do the faster it goes.

Posted

Stitch! The extra time will save you later on especially if you have an uncambered wing. The piece of mind is worth it too IMO. As Leni alluded to the original Avid/Kitfox had a VNE of like 90mph. Guys are now cruising them at 100+ mph. They are going much faster now with more engine choices than they early days. Once you get the pattern set and the knot down stitching is actually kinda fun. We spent around 8 hours on each wing..basically one full work day on each wing. Did it in a weekend. The more you do the faster it goes.

Thanks, I will stitch. It would be a drag to put all the work into covering and have it let go for a few hours of extra work. Nice to know that you stitched the front part of the lower ribs Leni, I was not sure about that part.