Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Where to buy Speedwing 18 gal tank?

9 posts in this topic

Posted

I am looking for a left side 18 gal speedwing tank. Any help finding one would be appreciated. Alcohol resistant preferred. Thanks.

Posted

I am looking for a left side 18 gal speedwing tank. Any help finding one would be appreciated. Alcohol resistant preferred. Thanks.

Contact Airdale, they had the tanks a couple of months ago when I decided to go plastic. I don't know if he is using alcohol resistant resin, but he should be able to build them.

Posted

hello, do you feel a left banking when you fly full single tank?

Posted

hello, do you feel a left banking when you fly full single tank?

This inquiry is about availability, to add a second tank to an Speedwing with only a right tank that I am interested in buying. I have not flown it yet. I expect some right banking with a full right tank, but solo you balance it a little. Someone who is flying a single tank Speedwing can give a better answer.

Posted

Any plane with a single tank can have a slight rolling moment when the tank is full, but it is not very pronounced. I have a few hundred hours in a kitfox with only one wing tank and I never even really noticed it.

:BC:

Posted

Any plane with a single tank can have a slight rolling moment when the tank is full, but it is not very pronounced. I have a few hundred hours in a kitfox with only one wing tank and I never even really noticed it.

:BC:

I expect the Avid Speedwing may be about the most extreme situation, with a single 18 gal tank in a wing that is quite short.

Posted

Contact Airdale, they had the tanks a couple of months ago when I decided to go plastic. I don't know if he is using alcohol resistant resin, but he should be able to build them.

Not available from Airdale. Anyone with a 2-tank kit that is not going to use both, or changing from Speedwing to STOL or HH wings? Thanks.

Posted

Not available from Airdale. Anyone with a 2-tank kit that is not going to use both, or changing from Speedwing to STOL or HH wings? Thanks.

Back in my Army days, we had a chance to learn how to load a C5 with dump trucks and semi tractor trailers, they only worried about the weight front to back not side to side, I think that the ailerons would cover that amount of roll. You may be down to building your own tank, use a epoxy resin that will withstand alcohol even if you don't plan to burn any, you can make a mold out of styrofoam build the bottom and sides to shape and remove the foam, put ribs in where they would normally go and lay the top on with precured glass then glass in the edges. If that is more than you want to do I am sure someone could do it for you. I would do it but you would have to supply the rib shape and materials. You would also need one heck of a bladder to make use of 36 gallons of fuel.

Posted

Back in my Army days, we had a chance to learn how to load a C5 with dump trucks and semi tractor trailers, they only worried about the weight front to back not side to side, I think that the ailerons would cover that amount of roll. You may be down to building your own tank, use a epoxy resin that will withstand alcohol even if you don't plan to burn any, you can make a mold out of styrofoam build the bottom and sides to shape and remove the foam, put ribs in where they would normally go and lay the top on with precured glass then glass in the edges. If that is more than you want to do I am sure someone could do it for you. I would do it but you would have to supply the rib shape and materials. You would also need one heck of a bladder to make use of 36 gallons of fuel.

Thanks for that offer. I had considered making a tank, but have no experience with that kind of fabrication, to assure proper shape and no leaks. If a tank does not become available ready-made, I may get back to you.

My interest is in a high endurance capability when solo. Easy to deal with bladder capacity that way.